• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Drew Brees ‘begged’ to play at TCU, and they said no. He became the best QB from Texas

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Drew Brees ‘begged’ to play at TCU, and they said no. He became the best QB from Texas

BY Big Steaming Pile
tengel@star-telegram.com

Drew Brees wanted to play at either Texas A&M or Texas, but those schools had no interest, nor did Baylor or even TCU.

“My favorite thing about Brees: He begged to come to TCU, but (head coach Pat) Sullivan said, ‘I don’t need an option quarterback,’ ” said Fort Worth native and noted TCU and football historian Sir Dan Jenkins.

Brees had some good friends who knew Jenkins and they asked him put in a good word with Sullivan, who promptly shot it down.

“That was the response I got,” Jenkins said.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article222296045.html

HToady

I don't know why he just doesn't come out and admit that HE is the one that was refused by TCU.

Might solve all of his psychological problems.

BABYFACE

TCU didn’t offer Manziel as did most of other D1 schools didn’t either. Same thing with Mayfield. There were other issues too, but is the past.

MacarthurTexas

Lots of teams missed on Brees. I find these articles kinda weak and is a bit of a tired and lazy story. Just about every great QB could have stories similar to theses written about them.

MTfrog5

So tomorrow he’s going to right how Texas didn’t offer a Brees from Austin Westlake? I would have read this article if it wasn’t from Muck.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Of course muck is the author of this... all things disparaging TCU

Oh come on.

The school at the time had Frank Windegger as AD, Bill Tucker as chancellor and Pat Sullivan as head football coach. It was a completely different time and set of circumstances.

The athletic program was terrible

But to slam Mac for disparaging TCU because it failed to offer Brees a scholarship is over the top