• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Departure of former TCU coach shows the humanity of the profession most of us miss

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Departure of former TCU coach shows the humanity of the profession most of us miss

BY Big Steaming Pile

AP23033241680571.jpg

As TCU welcomed and celebrated the arrival of its newest head coach on Thursday, the person Mark Campbell replaced was in Boston.

Raegan Pebley was visiting her teenage son, who attends a prep school in a post graduate year while he prepares for college. Maybe Harvard.

“We might drive up to Niagara Falls,” she said. “I am so good. I really am.”

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article273503155.html#storylink=cpy

Frog45

Ticket Exchange Pass
“Because the older they get the cooler they become and you want to be around them and you can’t because of the job. When I dropped (her son) off last year at school, it really hit me that it’s gone. I can’t get that time back. It’s done.”

That’s a trade you make, only you have no idea what you’re giving up until well after the transaction is complete. She wouldn’t undo the deal, but these are the side effects.
As a HS coach, this portion of the article resonates big time.

Considering all the love for her across multiple threads now, I wonder some why she was dismissed. She has won at all three stops— her last two years at Utah State, her only two years at Fresno State, and three years at TCU from 2017-20. She then had brain surgery and three losing years.

Is that one too many losing seasons after winning for three? Or was it more about an inability to recruit well? Did that surgery cause unknowns and maybe affect recruiting?

Last edited:
Somehow, I think this is one of those situations that will work out best for Raegan. She seems to be a wonderfully gifted person who can succeed at a number of things in sports or business. Family and health matter more than wins in the game of life, and she has the financial stability to be able to pursue whatever she wants.

Virginia Frog

Somehow, I think this is one of those situations that will work out best for Raegan. She seems to be a wonderfully gifted person who can succeed at a number of things in sports or business. Family and health matter more than wins in the game of life, and she has the financial stability to be able to pursue whatever she wants.
She needs to take some time off, settle with her family, get her mind 100% and then venture-on. She's a winner! (Go on Safari in Africa?:))

(GP failed on this score in '21-'22. I'm glad that he seems like he's back on track.)

Last edited:

Virginia Frog

Well, I mean, he's trying. Insincerely, of course, but trying all the same...
As a part of TCU150 can we have a special event where we hang him if effigy?

That'd be something - maybe at half-time at our least valuable game/opponent. Advertise this in advance and they might just get a sell-out!:p

Deep Purple

Considering all the love for her across multiple threads now, I wonder some why she was dismissed. She has won at all three stops— her last two years at Utah State, her only two years at Fresno State, and three years at TCU from 2017-20. She then had brain surgery and three losing years.

Is that one too many losing seasons after winning for three? Or was it more about an inability to recruit well? Did that surgery cause unknowns and maybe affect recruiting?
She was hired because of what she did at Utah State and Fresno State. She was released because of what she did at TCU (10-15. 6-22, 8-23). Big 12 basketball was a considerable step up from the level of competition she coached against in the Mountain West. And as admirable a human being as she is, coaches aren't paid to be admirable human beings. They're paid to be competitive and to win as much as possible.