• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Christian touts new recruits for first time before fans

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/04/29/21...cruits-for.html

[SIZE=14pt]Christian touts new recruits for first time before fans[/SIZE]

By STEFAN STEVENSON
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

Jim Christian will be in his ninth year as a college head basketball coach when his third season at TCU gets under way in November.

Even when you add in his years as an assistant coach, which gives him 20 years of experience on the bench, he never has done what he did Thursday before a packed crowd of Horned Frogs boosters, fans and TCU administrators: He celebrated a class of incoming recruits.

The open luncheon of season ticket holders and Fast Break club members -- who filled the Cox Room at the Dee J. Kelly Alumni and Visitors Center -- says as much about Christian's genuine excitement about the six players joining the Frogs' roster next fall as it does about the hopes that the TCU men's basketball program can turn around sooner rather than later.

The idea germinated between Christian and his assistants as the April 13 signing day drew closer. They believed the four new signees (three talented junior college players and New Orleans prep star Jarvis Ray), plus Hank Thorns (a transfer last year from Virginia Tech) and Amric Fields (a November signee), warranted a showcase before the Frogs' faithful.

"It's usually a football thing," Christian said. "We decided it would be good to promote the program. The idea kept going and it kind of snowballed. I think it turned out pretty well."

Nearly 200 Frogs devotees listened to Christian and assistant coaches Billy Wuczynski and Eric Haut talk about the new players, with edited highlight clips to slam home the point they were making: TCU basketball should be more exciting (and better) next season.

"I think we're adding quality depth, so hopefully good things are about happen," Christian said. "That doesn't guarantee anything. It's all video clips, and I could make Billy Wuczynski look like a good player with video clips."

That elicited a big laugh from the crowd, but Christian, an obviously talented motivator, then turned to the fans. He pivoted from his praise of the recruits to the appreciation of TCU's loyal fans, who have endured five consecutive losing seasons and a 13-year absence from the NCAA Tournament.

"These new recruits will always hold a special place in my heart because they want to be a part of what's going to happen here," Christian said. "They share the vision that I have, and I can tell them, beyond a shadow of doubt, what I think can happen here. The support we get and the support we are going to receive is going to be tenfold what it is right now. More than anything, these players believe, whole-heartedly, that this place is going to be special."

The acrobatic highlights of the six recruits had fans buzzing, and Christian, although cautious, was excited as well.

"I'm excited about the whole program," Christian said to the crowd. "I want you to be excited to come to games. That's the goal here. I'm more excited about the support you've shown me in this room. This, to me, is a great, great statement for what TCU can be. It just makes me more anxious to get this thing going."

Stefan Stevenson, 817-390-7760

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
It seems there is a lot of optimism surrounding mens BBall for next year, Chris Del Conte mentioned that he expects significant improvement next year at the Austin event last night. Coach Christian and CDC are sticking their necks out here, they must know they have something.

SnoSki

QUOTE(tcuball3 @ Apr 30 2010, 02:21 PM) [snapback]553092[/snapback]
It seems there is a lot of optimism surrounding mens BBall for next year, Chris Del Conte mentioned that he expects significant improvement next year at the Austin event last night. Coach Christian and CDC are sticking their necks out here, they must know they have something.

I'm already excited. Even if we don't make the tourney... just as long as we win more games and stop getting hosed by 30 to conference mates... that is good.

These recruits look like the best ones we've had in several years. Hope they can keep it rolling!

Scarface

QUOTE(Genbukan @ Apr 30 2010, 02:43 PM) [snapback]553124[/snapback]
Pleasantly surprised by a turnout of 200 folks. Thats close to the crowd we had at several games this past season!

Unfortunately true and not funny if meant to be.

TCUFrogs

QUOTE(tcuball3 @ Apr 30 2010, 09:21 AM) [snapback]553092[/snapback]

Hope to see and exciting team out there in the fall. Need the right players.

TCU82Grad

Whats the non-conference schedule going to be like, I think that will define the season the most.

We can do it two ways:

1. Have a really easy non-conference schedule filled with easy opponents at home to help the team gain confidence, learn the system and learn how to play with eachother. The upside here is that we could be 14-1, 13-2 or something going into conference play, but the downside being would require a monster conference season to get a postseason bid.

2. Have a difficult, tough non-conference schedule filled with tough opponents on the road and neutral sites, hoping that the tough opponents will make the team stronger mentally and physically to prepare them for conference play. If we could steal a win or two and hold our own in the non conference portion, our RPI will be strong and would require us to be decent, not amazing, in conference play to snag a postseason bid.

I think the scheduling philosophy should reflect the goals of this team. If the goal of the team is the NCAA tournament, option 2 should be the way. If the goal of the team is to improve on last year, be more competitive and try to finish with a winning record in conferece play, and try to look for the long term, option 1 is the way.

ectofrog

QUOTE(TCU82Grad @ Apr 30 2010, 01:22 PM) [snapback]553342[/snapback]
Whats the non-conference schedule going to be like, I think that will define the season the most.

We can do it two ways:

1. Have a really easy non-conference schedule filled with easy opponents at home to help the team gain confidence, learn the system and learn how to play with eachother. The upside here is that we could be 14-1, 13-2 or something going into conference play, but the downside being would require a monster conference season to get a postseason bid.

2. Have a difficult, tough non-conference schedule filled with tough opponents on the road and neutral sites, hoping that the tough opponents will make the team stronger mentally and physically to prepare them for conference play. If we could steal a win or two and hold our own in the non conference portion, our RPI will be strong and would require us to be decent, not amazing, in conference play to snag a postseason bid.

I think the scheduling philosophy should reflect the goals of this team. If the goal of the team is the NCAA tournament, option 2 should be the way. If the goal of the team is to improve on last year, be more competitive and try to finish with a winning record in conferece play, and try to look for the long term, option 1 is the way.

Well, I can tell you with 99% confidence that the non-conference scheduling will reflect a mixture of 1 and 2, and will not be an either/or proposition. There will be some tough games, at home, on the road, and perhaps in a neutral site at a preseason tourney. There will also be some cupcakes as well. No one ever goes ALL tough or ALL cupcake with regards to scheduling OOC basketball.

masterfrog

Obviously with a class that large, some of our players aren't coming back. When Christian was hired we lost almost the whole team. I know when you fail to graduate players, you start losing scholarships. Are we in real danger of starting to lose the number of scholarships we can offer?