• The KillerFrogs

FWST Big 12’s Bowlsby is ‘very bullish’ on the league’s value even after Texas, OU depart

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Big 12’s Bowlsby is ‘very bullish’ on the league’s value even after Texas, OU depart

BY DREW DAVISON

The Big 12 is losing its two flagship programs, Texas and Oklahoma, to the SEC by the summer of 2025, at the latest. That remains a stinging blow to the league and commissioner Bob Bowlsby, but it is moving forward.

The league has invited BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and Central Florida as new members, although their arrival dates remain to be determined.

Bowlsby has estimated UT and OU accounted for close to half of the league’s media rights value, but expressed optimism that the reconfigured Big 12 will remain an attractive conference when it goes to the negotiating table for its next TV deal. The league’s current deal with ESPN and Fox runs through 2025.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article255115067.html#storylink=cpy

Obvious Troll

Bullish to me is going after other P5 teams. Going after the Gang of 6 is not.
Nebraska, Colorado, Arkansas and Missouri come to mind.
Unfortunately, even if these schools doubled their chances for football success in the Big 12, SEC and B1G money is the bond too great to break.

vicarfrog

I really think we have the potential to be a strong conference. There's room to grow and none of the ego from UT or OU.

But we'll see. The bigger question I have is when does OU and UT leave?

Wexahu

I’m pulling for Cincy to make the playoffs. In fact, I wouldn’t mind seeing them against OU in the semi’s. Then GA in the finals.
I will bet anyone on here anything they want that if Cincy goes undefeated they will be in the playoffs. That's for those that said G5 teams have no chance under the current system because it's an Invitational and no way that the committee would ever pick a G5 team over the usual suspects.

Sorry, had to throw that out there. ;)

Anyone want to bet me? :)

froginaustin

I don't think BYU swings the big stick like they did in the WAC or MWC. If they tried something the pushback would be way different than it was in the old leagues.

NF

They’ll still think of themselves as first among conference members, unless they completely change their stripes.

BYU wasn’t nearly the force they Thought they were when they tried and failed to bust the MWC. And raped the WAC in the process. Maybe they learned perspective and humility. I hope so for their business partners’ sake. But that doesn’t seem to be their nature.

I wonder if BYU still has the same old hi-def TV truck?

LeagueCityFrog

I think TCU and UH are heading eventually to the Pac-12 purely because the Pac-12 wants two central time zone games and access to more recruits in talent rich DFW and Houston. After TCU and UH bolts look for the Big XII to add Boise State and Memphis if Memphis' new president commits to a new on campus stadium.

Could you imagine USC and Oregon coming to the Carter? I can and I think it happens once all the smoke clears around UT and OU's exit to the SEC. If the Horns and Sooners exit early, look for TCU to use their part of those two teams' Big XII exit fees to be applied to TCU's Pac-12 entrance fee.

Coach P's contract is good for a couple more years too. I see TCU staying with Gary through this whole process then Gary retiring when we start in the Pac-12. My vote currently would be to money whip Luke Fickle when the time comes and keep Coach Meacham.

Wexahu

I think TCU and UH are heading eventually to the Pac-12 purely because the Pac-12 wants two central time zone games and access to more recruits in talent rich DFW and Houston. After TCU and UH bolts look for the Big XII to add Boise State and Memphis if Memphis' new president commits to a new on campus stadium.

Could you imagine USC and Oregon coming to the Carter? I can and I think it happens once all the smoke clears around UT and OU's exit to the SEC. If the Horns and Sooners exit early, look for TCU to use their part of those two teams' Big XII exit fees to be applied to TCU's Pac-12 entrance fee.

Coach P's contract is good for a couple more years too. I see TCU staying with Gary through this whole process then Gary retiring when we start in the Pac-12. My vote currently would be to money whip Luke Fickle when the time comes and keep Coach Meacham.
Can I have what you are smoking?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I still want to know why Bowlsby didn't sue the hind legs off ESPN/Disney for tampering, and also why FOX has remained completely silent in this matter. Makes me think that there's a lot of backroom handshake deals and other backscratching going on that we don't know about, and that the Media is curiously uninterested in looking into.

froginaustin

I still want to know why Bowlsby didn't sue the hind legs off ESPN/Disney for tampering, and also why FOX has remained completely silent in this matter. Makes me think that there's a lot of backroom handshake deals and other backscratching going on that we don't know about, and that the Media is curiously uninterested in looking into.

Maybe because Bowlsby didn’t want to poke the tyrannosaurus? Fox didn’t either?

Big Frog II

Personally I think in lieu of Bowlsby and the Big 12 suing ESPN for interference, they have quietly agreed to a new TV contract to our satisfaction.