• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Arizona Cardinals move up to get TCU's Daryl Washington

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/04/23/21...-up-to-get.html

[SIZE=14pt]Arizona Cardinals move up to get TCU's Daryl Washington[/SIZE]

By STEFAN STEVENSON
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

TCU has led the nation in total defense the past two seasons largely behind a well-executed philosophy that Gary Patterson helped cultivate over his 12-year tenure as defensive coordinator and head coach. But he's the first person to recognize that the players he's had over the years in his 4-2-5 scheme are the secret to its success.

Few Horned Frogs embody the prototypical TCU defensive player more than linebacker Daryl Washington.

Washington, who led the Frogs with 109 tackles in 2009, was the 47th overall selection in the NFL Draft on Friday as the Arizona Cardinals took him with the 15th pick of the second round. Arizona traded up 11 spots with New England to nab Washington. New England received the Cardinals' second third-round pick.

"It's a great honor," said Washington, who had been projected to be a late first-round to early second-round pick. He watched the first round Thursday night with friends at a restaurant in downtown Dallas and returned Friday to do it again.

"It was a big relief," he said. "Not really knowing what to expect, I tried to remain patient. To hear your name called and have someone take a chance on you and believe in you is just a great feeling."

Washington made a big impact on Arizona in a post-Scouting Combine visit, according to Cardinals general manager Rod Graves.

"We were struck by how intelligent the kid was and we feel like he had an excellent year," Graves said. "Our guys felt like he was the most athletic linebacker in this year's draft. He was high on our board and we are just elated to have an opportunity to use that selection and pick up Daryl Washington."

Washington, who didn't start until his senior year last fall, had the most tackles (109) for a Frogs player since 2004. He becomes the third TCU linebacker drafted in the past two seasons. Washington didn't start for most of his junior year because he was playing behind two all-conference players in Jason Phillips and Robert Henson.

Both Phillips (Baltimore Ravens) and Henson (Washington Redskins) were drafted in 2009. TCU linebacker David Hawthorne, who was undrafted after his senior year in 2007, led the Seattle Seahawks with 117 tackles last season.

"We've had a great group of guys who love to play the game of football and who take pride in playing defense," Washington said. "I thank those guys before me, and I wanted to continue that tradition. There have been a lot of great players out of TCU and I'm just happy to be one of them."

Washington's NFL home will be the University of Phoenix Stadium, where he played his final college game in the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 4.

"It's a nice coincidence having played in the Fiesta Bowl and having that environment in my mind. It's a great place to play and beautiful area to live," he said.

He becomes the 23rd player drafted in Patterson's nine years as the Frogs' head coach, with a few more Frogs projected to go in later rounds today. Washington received a call from Patterson shortly after the news came down Friday.

"He was excited for me," said Washington, who graduated from Irving High School. "He gave me some advice to work hard, don't give up and do what I do best. I thanked him for giving me a chance and believing in me."

Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt projects Washington as an every-down player.

"It's hard to find a linebacker that can play all three downs, and that was an area that we felt we would like to address, our dime linebacker or our sub linebacker, and that is one of the things that he does very well," Whisenhunt said.

Stefan Stevenson, 817-390-7760

BABYFACE

Out of all the LB's TCU has had the last 4 years, Wash is the most athletic which will serve him well in the NFL. He is one of my favorites along with Henson. As for Henson, that guy just knocked guys out of games with his viscious hits.