• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘There is no wrong.’ TCU’s Patterson delivers NIL message to local business leaders

Planks

We will see. At this moment in time TCU doesn't have a single player who I consider an all time TCU great, but I could see Evans, QJ or Duggan getting there.

I think the all time great players transferring is an almost guarantee. Even if TCU gets it’s act together in regards to NIL, the difference in money for the all time great, household name types (Boykin, etc.) is just going to be to much to turn down.

The bigger question to me is what about players who are just good players. Say during spring ball Alabama suffers a couple of season ending injuries to key players at the safety position. I could see Alabama donors suddenly realizing that the thing their business is missing is a large NIL deal with a Trevon Moerhig or an Ar’darius Washington.

Forget the Andy Daltons, the bigger question is whether TCU is going to be able to hold on to the Jeff Gladneys, LJ Colliers, Jeremy Kerleys, Ross Blacklocks, Lucas Niangs, etc.

Last edited:

jake102

i well we, will sponsor or whatever it is called the entire baseball team. pay theirr tuition no crap on their jerseys etc. it's a write off for us.
i'll try kirk directly. if anyone has his cell please direct message me. donati will not pick up my phone call.

Once again - Saarloos is a decent idea, but he may be forced to take it up. It will take more effort, but going individually to players is the way to get it done quickest

Maybe Saarloos could at least get you email and phone of every player each year.

Pharm Frog

Once again - Saarloos is a decent idea, but he may be forced to take it up. It will take more effort, but going individually to players is the way to get it done quickest

Maybe Saarloos could at least get you email and phone of every player each year.

Kirk has the cell phone numbers of his players. So does BM and Matt.

This is what makes me mad. I agree with you. But Donati and vbo said DO NOT contact athletes as recent as last week.
i'm caught between a rock and a hard place.

Mean Purple

Just a thought. We have some pretty wealthy alum base and supporters.
This may be our way to keep up with the jones on recruiting.
I hate NIL. But I hate losing more.

Purp

We don't have to go too far down the road to see a 30ish team league of elite college football programs essentially playing professional football with no contracts. How long after that do eligibility requirements disappear and players lose interest in the NFL. Why not just stay at Bama for 10 years or go from Bama, to USC, to UT, to tOSU, to Florida, etc. every couple of years until you have to retire? I mean, the NFL and collective bargaining agreements preserve a tidy portion of profit for the owners. In this professional college game there is no profit incentive for owners. There's no formal league governing body to enforce rules. It's going to be the wild darning west unless people totally stop watching altogether. At some point the pendulum has to swing back to sanity.

Nick Danger

i well we, will sponsor or whatever it is called the entire baseball team. pay theirr tuition no crap on their jerseys etc. it's a write off for us.
i'll try kirk directly. if anyone has his cell please direct message me. donati will not pick up my phone call.
While I think this is a great idea, it raises a question of "how can TCU put together an overall NIL "package" to offer recruits if a lot of it is being handled by "free-lancers"? Shouldn't there be somebody overseeing the whole thing?

Wexahu

lawrence stroll has dropped mid 9 figures into buying a racing team, and a quarter of ashton martin for no other reason than to make sure his son has a drive in f1.

dmitry mazepin is pumping money into the least competitive racing team in f1 simply so his son nikkita can have his drive though it seems likely he will only have to spend in the mid 8 figures

emotional attachments often times over ride reasonable decisions

That'd be the equivalent of a booster giving TCU $50M so his son could be the coach or the starting QB. Don't really see the relevance there.

I'll put it this way.....I think Boone Pickens is much less likely to give OSU what he did in the current environment of college sports. Might be wrong, but that's my hunch. It's becoming (or will become) less about investing in a program and more about just paying people off in order to keep up. The latter seems far less enticing.

Wexahu

We don't have to go too far down the road to see a 30ish team league of elite college football programs essentially playing professional football with no contracts. How long after that do eligibility requirements disappear and players lose interest in the NFL. Why not just stay at Bama for 10 years or go from Bama, to USC, to UT, to tOSU, to Florida, etc. every couple of years until you have to retire? I mean, the NFL and collective bargaining agreements preserve a tidy portion of profit for the owners. In this professional college game there is no profit incentive for owners. There's no formal league governing body to enforce rules. It's going to be the wild darning west unless people totally stop watching altogether. At some point the pendulum has to swing back to sanity.

Can a second professional football league exist in this country? All the others have failed miserably. I don't see how this would be any different. You have the brand names I guess, but how valuable will those be when they are basically completely detached from the universities?

Pharm Frog

While I think this is a great idea, it raises a question of "how can TCU put together an overall NIL "package" to offer recruits if a lot of it is being handled by "free-lancers"? Shouldn't there be somebody overseeing the whole thing?

They should have thought about that a long time ago IMO.

TCU_91

This is what makes me mad. I agree with you. But Donati and vbo said DO NOT contact athletes as recent as last week.
i'm caught between a rock and a hard place.

ALOT of the "Frosty Heads" are still shell shocked from the 80's. Unfortunately we are in a different time, place and environment when Alums/Boosters have to step in and preserve the progression we have made recently.

Now is not the time to play conservative, it is the time to go all in or forever be left behind.

That'd be the equivalent of a booster giving TCU $50M so his son could be the coach or the starting QB. Don't really see the relevance there.

I'll put it this way.....I think Boone Pickens is much less likely to give OSU what he did in the current environment of college sports. Might be wrong, but that's my hunch. It's becoming (or will become) less about investing in a program and more about just paying people off in order to keep up. The latter seems far less enticing.
Boone was my direct-report-to boss at one point. He saw this coming. Prior to moving on, he suggested a plan should this happen and OSU is doing just fine. My wife went there and, transparently, we are more involved at OSU than TCU for reasons mentioned in this thread.

PO Frog

I’m extremely uncomfortable with the concept that someone just creates a fund that indiscriminately gets apportioned out to members of the team by virtue of them being on the team, but that appears to be what is happening.
I was under the impression that this was going to allow players to get endorsements and payments for specific activities and use of NIL. Having apparently now morphed into a general slush fund for every athlete, this is sounding completely unworkable and renders college athletics obsolete in my eyes. Because it is untethered to an athlete’s specific name image or likeness, you are basically paying players to go to a particular school. Disastrous

Pharm Frog

I’m extremely uncomfortable with the concept that someone just creates a fund that indiscriminately gets apportioned out to members of the team by virtue of them being on the team, but that appears to be what is happening.
I was under the impression that this was going to allow players to get endorsements and payments for specific activities and use of NIL. Having apparently now morphed into a general slush fund for every athlete, this is sounding completely unworkable and renders college athletics obsolete in my eyes. Because it is untethered to an athlete’s specific name image or likeness, you are basically paying players to go to a particular school. Disastrous

Now who could have possibly imagined this would happen?

FBallFan123

To close the loop on this:

- Get the university compliance office out of the way (follow the Texas laws at the minimal level, that's it) (Here is that law: https://legiscan.com/TX/text/SB1385/id/2407682/Texas-2021-SB1385-Enrolled.html)

- Get existing athletics sponsorship agreements cleaned up (there are some "conflicts" from older contracts, this is under way)

- Give boosters the green light (underway)

- Open back channels to boosters on who/how much/etc. (next)

- Once matured, put together your unofficial "NIL Packet" for recruits and players, detailing exactly what a TCU Athlete in a particular sport could/will receive... This becomes part of the unofficial pitch for the university, in partnership with the boosters

Get all that done, TCU will be OK... but we are only 2-3 out of 5 steps done, Texas and Alabama have had all five done since the 70s.

Gotta catch up...

Step 6: take a shower