• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘There is no wrong.’ TCU’s Patterson delivers NIL message to local business leaders

Stopit

If businesses and donars in Fort Worth can’t find ways to use an athlete’s name, image and likeness in various programs (like advertising) to appropriately pay these top athletes then TCU needs to simply drop football completely. The star athletes can’t afford to play for a school that doesn’t have the necessary fan base support. Zach Evans may love TCU but will be gone next year because of money if Fort Worth alumni can’t or won’t pay him his worth.

Moose Stuff

If businesses and donars in Fort Worth can’t find ways to use an athlete’s name, image and likeness in various programs (like advertising) to appropriately pay these top athletes then TCU needs to simply drop football completely. The star athletes can’t afford to play for a school that doesn’t have the necessary fan base support. Zach Evans may love TCU but will be gone next year because of money if Fort Worth alumni can’t or won’t pay him his worth.

I don’t disagree, but what is his worth? Say we have businesses step up to pay him…. all some bigger school has to do is find a business that will pay him more than that. I hate almost everything about this (and the free transfer rule).

Pharm Frog

Stop it now.

LVH

The first time we lose a proven, star player to NIL transfer is probably when I check out. Thinking like losing Boykin or Doctson between 2014 and 2015 or Dalton between 2009 and 2010 or Hughes between 2008 and 2009 type deal.

It's already happening in basketball. Amazing players in lower conferences rarely stick around anymore.

Damon Lillard or CJ McCollum would have never stayed at Weber State/Lehigh in today's game.

Eight

Yep. Reinstate transfer rules and I don't think NIL matters that much.

so who is going to enforce that rule? the neutered ncaa? the conferences?

the ncaa couldn't have stopped this once the courts started to get involved, but they did nothing to try to get the conferences and schools to try to work together though i am not sure if would have mattered. as soon as state governments got involved with drafting individuals state guidelines this thing went off a cliff

as we have seen, there are schools and conferences that don't care about the survival of the collective and some time in the future we will indeed see a split between those who want to stop pretending college sports are nothing more than a business for the schools and the conferences and those who want to cling to the idea of amateur athletics

Wexahu

The first time we lose a proven, star player to NIL transfer is probably when I check out. Thinking like losing Boykin or Doctson between 2014 and 2015 or Dalton between 2009 and 2010 or Hughes between 2008 and 2009 type deal.

Let's say Evans has a big year and a big blue blood in need of a RB comes along and offers a $2M NIL deal.

THAT is when it'll hit home. And once that starts happening on any kind of regular basis at all, what's the point in even following the sport? You have literally no chance of competing. Can't build a roster. Can't even run a program really with all the contingencies you'd have to have in place.

Moose Stuff

Let's say Evans has a big year and a big blue blood in need of a RB comes along and offers a $2M NIL deal.

THAT is when it'll hit home. And once that starts happening on any kind of regular basis at all, what's the point in even following the sport? You have literally no chance of competing. Can't build a roster. Can't even run a program really with all the contingencies you'd have to have in place.

Yep. It’s inevitable unless someone can find the Avengers and those damn stones. And I won’t blame the kids for one second.

Wexahu

I don’t disagree, but what is his worth? Say we have businesses step up to pay him…. all some bigger school has to do is find a business that will pay him more than that. I hate almost everything about this (and the free transfer rule).

In the case of a kid like Evans, if the transfer rule was not in place, he wouldn't be going anywhere, no matter how much money was offered him. Or better yet, because I can't imagine a big NIL deal in place for a kid who will probably never play for that school.

FinanceFrog

Are you really asking who are we to judge whether or not we will be fans of something? Who the scheiss else would judge that?

no - moose’s post was judging players for chasing money rather than a degree or a program. The judgement is about the players and their motivations - do whatever you want as fans.

Moose Stuff

In the case of a kid like Evans, if the transfer rule was not in place, he wouldn't be going anywhere, no matter how much money was offered him. Or better yet, because I can't imagine a big NIL deal in place for a kid who will probably never play for that school.
I completely agree. And I didn’t mean it’s inevitable that he leaves. More that it’s inevitable that someone like him eventually does.

Purp

this is the free market at work. many of you most likely want to cut regulations and let the free market work. well…..here you go.
How free the market is remains to be seen. The reality is that a lot of these schools have MASSIVE head starts due to enormous government subsidies. They're large, public schools and that provides a clear competitive advantage that most schools don't have. That doesn't make the market less free, but it certainly makes it less competitive and I don't think it will take long for that gap to widen to such an extent that most FBS schools don't try to compete.

I really think we could see a return to old school college football at a lot of major universities within a decade. I suspect they would still be televised, but all the money and corruption left to the small handful playing professional football.

Last edited:

Purp

This could get really interesting when kids start missing classes for photo shoots and such to meet all the demands of their NIL deals. I'll probably be checked out by then, though.

Who is to blame for this? I assume Donati?

Starts higher, unfortunately... If you asked V-Bo today, he would give you some answer that sounds like, "Within the rules, I support our alumni supporting our student-athletes, TCU wants to compete at a high level, etc..."

However, the hard truth is, over the last six months and into the summer, V-Bo, university compliance officials and lawyers, and several key board members were MUCH more reticent and that commentary floated out to prominent boosters. Too conservative, too worried about the University's image, etc. etc...

NIL is actually right up Donati's ally, but he can only do and say what his boss and the University compliance office allow him to. This started VERY conservative and has now loosened up thanks to coaches sounding the alarm, but it's hard to turn that boat, and to break through years of scar tissue of boosters being yelled at by compliance if they put one pinky out of line.

Going from running a "tight house" to barreling into the wild west full steam is a big change, much bigger than some expected for TCU.

Last edited: