• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘There is no wrong.’ TCU’s Patterson delivers NIL message to local business leaders

flyfishingfrog

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

In the past boosters gave money under the table and the ROI for the booster was stroking his own ego.

Under the new rules, I think the companies will want an ROI on their advertising investment. I think there will be a learning curve where a lot of companies get burned by signing deals with “paper tigers” who transfer or don’t even see the field
you seriously think that the companies offering NIL money to some player that frankly almost no one knows about beyond a small set of dedicated football fans are expecting a positive ROI?

I would honestly think that any company that is expecting more than the marketing equivalent of party favor or a giveaway at a conference booth is expecting too much.

Given that the level of money required for the top players is already through the roof and there are 85 other guys no one can even name if they didn't have it on the back of their jersey that are also expecting some level of payment evidently - there is no marketing ROI that makes this a good business decision.

Let me ask it this way - how much would Luken Baker have needed to come to TCU in a world where his parents didn't force him to do it? or maybe the next "Luken"? we lost a guy this year in the late rounds to $1 million signing bonus - so does it have to be that much? was Luken worth a $1 million in marketing ROI for any company?

Or Deuce? or to keep Evans? if it takes $250k to keep one of those types from leaving - what could they be doing for a company from a Sales/Marketing campaign perspective that makes it worth the cost?

People who own their own companies will do it because they are boosters not because it is a smart marketing move.

froginmn

if it is above $600 but again that is an IRS requirement and has nothing to do with the NCAA areas of responsibility or what is required for an NIL payment.
Right, but my point is that if players don't claim income and boosters don't issue 1099's, both are in violation of IRS regs, so there's a new interested party...

flyfishingfrog

Right, but my point is that if players don't claim income and boosters don't issue 1099's, both are in violation of IRS regs, so there's a new interested party...
technically - but then the IRS has not been able to figure out how to consistently regulate cash oriented businesses and professions - so unless they get this monitoring every transaction in your bank account law passed - they are not going to be get involved in $500/month handshakes even if they are legal under the NCAA.

The key will be if a business wants to write it off as a business expense - and at some point a college athlete will get in trouble with the IRS for failure to pay taxes but then that happens everyday in all walks of life. just ask Wesley Snipes....

HFrog12

Yeah, between him and H Ross Perot III we should be able to have quite the payroll. lol

Players love cars. Demarion overshown at Texas posted a pic on social media with his mom's new car and mentioned the dealership. What was happening before is within the rules now and players can flaunt it. I think LSU did a deal to get a bunch of their players cars. We have rich alumni like you mentioned with Perot. etc., but there needs to be some niche businesses to help out.

I wonder how much interest in the program someone like Fin Ewing has (Ewing Automotive Group). He and GP are obviously close as they did that concert together at Billy Bob's.

froginmn

There are so many questions that come to mind... I'm not entirely convinced that a ton of kids are going to make significant money, and especially not more than they would get from the NFL.

If a booster pays a kid (on a payroll expense, contractor or employee) and then that kid gets hurt, can the kid file for unemployment?

And if a booster has been making an annual 500K donation to the school, will they trade that tax deductible gift (if it still is) for a payroll taxable fee to a kid (possible UI implications)? Will he do both, or will the school lose out on donations? Which schools will be OK with losing that income?

Wexahu

There are so many questions that come to mind... I'm not entirely convinced that a ton of kids are going to make significant money, and especially not more than they would get from the NFL.

If a booster pays a kid (on a payroll expense, contractor or employee) and then that kid gets hurt, can the kid file for unemployment?

And if a booster has been making an annual 500K donation to the school, will they trade that tax deductible gift (if it still is) for a payroll taxable fee to a kid (possible UI implications)? Will he do both, or will the school lose out on donations? Which schools will be OK with losing that income?

Take the car dealer as an example. If he is going to be expected to hand out cars to players and their families, I find it hard to believe that wouldn't impact his other donations to the school.

Endless Purple

Another thing….let’s say a player’s agent who negotiated an NLI deal offers a professor $20k for a grade to keep his kid eligible so his NIL deal holds up. Does he take it? Better yet, does anyone care anymore if a kid doesn’t make his grades? Is that kind of a thing of the past?

I know I would be tempted (not 100% sure I would accept though). Of course, I also know that if a player was rude or playing it to transfer soon, I might also take the other side if offered. That said, I don't think it would ever come to the professors. The grades will go through the registrar for whatever the athletic dept required at that point. Academics would not matter for hte team (Some schools are probably like that now).

GSR,

Have you heard any updates from the TCU side regarding NIL since last week's national story?

Overall NIL update:

Bad News: For the most part, the rich will get richer. Alabama will win more recruiting battles, etc.

Good News: This is true across all sports, and for TCU that means sports like baseball have the opportunity to IMPROVE their position and win some battles. As I said before, the TCU tuition/scholarship issue will be less of an issue going forward, and then some.

GP, JD, KS, and others have sounded the alarms, and it appears the alumni are responding and (so far) the university and compliance are getting out of the way. Everybody is getting comfortable being uncomfortable.

Perhaps even more important (to some): It isn't just the three big sports that appear to be getting some $$... Some non-rev sport donors appear to be looking to improve TCU's positioning, which I love. Those are the kinds of battles we can win.

To be clear, we need WAY more participation and $$... We're maybe 20% of what will be needed overall, but it's early.

Last edited:

froglash88

Can a donor build us a new swimming facility with a pool with more than 6 lanes? It’s to the point where we need to invest or drop the programs. I have a friend who will donate for NIL and he swam for UT and UVA. He said he would do it only if they upped their game.

Moose Stuff

Can a donor build us a new swimming facility with a pool with more than 6 lanes? It’s to the point where we need to invest or drop the programs. I have a friend who will donate for NIL and he swam for UT and UVA. He said he would do it only if they upped their game.
Somebody get this guy’s friend in touch with the swim coach ASAP.