• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘There is no wrong.’ TCU’s Patterson delivers NIL message to local business leaders

Jackson

Their players can freely switch teams after every year to the highest bidder? So teams don’t control the rights of players beyond the current year?
I don’t believe players are restricted from moving every yr if these wish. NIL puts them in charge! The “powerhouses” are going to be playing in front of their fan bases alone. Over time they’ll come to understand this NIL was a major fawk up.

Eight

The best way I can put it is the current version of college athletics will implode. The new rule changes make it an unsustainable model. I am not even getting to conference realignment. It is the combination of the now no-sit transfer rule combined with NIL that is already being abused.

Basically when your top 5-8 players get poached every year because they are offered enough money to transfer out to a certain school without having to sit. Are you not seeing the ramifications from this?

don't disagree things are headed in a bad direction, but that still doesn't answer my question of what is college sports supposed to be when the ncaa's own numbers show it to be a $19B dollar business.

Eight

I think 80% of the solution would be if the NCAA simply built a little deferred gratification into the process. Allow the kids to earn all they can, but require at least half of the earnings go into a retirement account or annuity to protect the principal. If the powers-that-be would allow it, let principal be accessed tax free after age 35.

challenge is that the ncaa has absolutely no authority in this matter anymore and emmert made it clear in the interview i linked that they have no real interest in wading n the nil swamp any deeper

he makes it quite clear that the ncaa expects some time in the near future that a group of schools will break off from the ncaa and start their own group

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
This is the byproduct of listening to all these writers and journalists who hate sports anyway soapbox about how evil the NCAA is.
The issue with the NCAA was that they acted as a protection racket for the Big Programs for many years, and then, through further stupidity and mismanagement, became altogether irrelevant. Now they're gone, and it is doubtful that anybody will even bother to show up for the funeral. Good riddance...

As to the "writers and journalists who hate sports anyway," well, there's a legion of them, and they are untroubled by what many of us call a conscience. I believe Don Henley wrote a tune about them once, long years ago...

Wexahu

I would be surprised if I’m a College Football Fan 3 years from now. Its played a significant role in my relatively long life, but its clear that NIL is going to destroy the game that I loved.

I'll say it again......the free transfer rule is a far bigger deal.

With an 85 scholarship limit and the requirement of skipping a year in the case of a transfer, it's still a manageable situation even with NIL in place. Think about it. You'd have bidding wars for recruits but you wouldn't have open bidding wars for kids throughout college football every year. Teams would still have to recruit well and develop their own players to win.

Take away NIL but still allow kids to freely transfer, and you'd still have a disastrous situation. We all know that kids have been getting paid one way or another for years and years, that wasn't going to change. The big boys are still coming after your players, and they are going to get them. If teams miss on recruits or some kids don't pan out, they just go get someone else's players.

That little rule change they made where kids now don't have to sit out a year when they transfer changes EVERYTHING.

BABYFACE

don't disagree things are headed in a bad direction, but that still doesn't answer my question of what is college sports supposed to be when the ncaa's own numbers show it to be a $19B dollar business.
Not arguing that. Most of that business goes to fund most of the other sports at a particular university. It really isn’t an argument of that money being spent to support the whole athletics budget but rather it has become an arms race pertaining to facilities and schools want more of that money to pay for it. No doubt that has been out of control.

cheese83

What you are describing is not that far off from European Football.

Of course they also just dealt with an attempted Super League breakaway but were able to stop it from happening with fan protests.

Using the relegation system would to wonders for College Football.

Pretty far off, the leagues own the rights to their players and sell them for profit all the time on top of massive agents fees all before contract negotiations. NIL is also a big deal for certain players. Then throw in the big time TV deals that each team gets outside of La Liga where it is lopsided. Not even close IMO.

Jackson

I'll say it again......the free transfer rule is a far bigger deal.

With an 85 scholarship limit and the requirement of skipping a year in the case of a transfer, it's still a manageable situation even with NIL in place. Think about it. You'd have bidding wars for recruits but you wouldn't have open bidding wars for kids throughout college football every year. Teams would still have to recruit well and develop their own players to win.

Take away NIL but still allow kids to freely transfer, and you'd still have a disastrous situation. We all know that kids have been getting paid one way or another for years and years, that wasn't going to change. The big boys are still coming after your players, and they are going to get them. If teams miss on recruits or some kids don't pan out, they just go get someone else's players.

That little rule change they made where kids now don't have to sit out a year when they transfer changes EVERYTHING.
They’re both serious problems. Obviously living with only one of the two would be a move in the right direction. The transfer rule probably affects the big dogs more the the NIL because they will pay whatever it takes to keep or get a prospect. Those large schools can reduce the transfer problem via the NIL…..as they say MONEY cures most problems.
The bottom-line is that WEX’s beloved tOSU doesn’t have the same issues to contend with as 90% of the FBS Programs.

tcufootballjh98

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-adopts-new-transfer-legislation

"Allowing student-athletes a one-time opportunity to transfer and compete immediately provides a uniform, equitable and understandable approach that benefits all student-athletes," said Council vice chair Jon Steinbrecher, who chairs the Working Group on Transfers and is commissioner of the Mid-American Conference.

Surely he realizes the MAC's best players will get poached every year by the P5?

Immediate transfer eligibility is going to destroy G5 fanbase interest. What's the point of spending all the time and resources on recruiting and player development, if the top performers are almost guaranteed to be poached by the P5 with offers they can't refuse?

Wexahu

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-adopts-new-transfer-legislation

"Allowing student-athletes a one-time opportunity to transfer and compete immediately provides a uniform, equitable and understandable approach that benefits all student-athletes," said Council vice chair Jon Steinbrecher, who chairs the Working Group on Transfers and is commissioner of the Mid-American Conference.

Surely he realizes the MAC's best players will get poached every year by the P5?

Immediate transfer eligibility is going to destroy G5 fanbase interest. What's the point of spending all the time and resources on recruiting and player development, if the top performers are almost guaranteed to be poached by the P5 with offers they can't refuse?

It's impossible for a coach to build a program at a school like that in this environment.

Moose Stuff

They’re both serious problems. Obviously living with only one of the two would be a move in the right direction. The transfer rule probably affects the big dogs more the the NIL because they will pay whatever it takes to keep or get a prospect. Those large schools can reduce the transfer problem via the NIL…..as they say MONEY cures most problems.
The bottom-line is that WEX’s beloved tOSU doesn’t have the same issues to contend with as 90% of the FBS Programs.

I’m not sure Wex has posted about OSU in like 8 years. Such an odd continuing theme.

Last edited:

hiphopfroggy

Pretty far off, the leagues own the rights to their players and sell them for profit all the time on top of massive agents fees all before contract negotiations. NIL is also a big deal for certain players. Then throw in the big time TV deals that each team gets outside of La Liga where it is lopsided. Not even close IMO.

Right, I said not that far off.

But yea, players under contract get poached by the bigger teams all the time and they negotiate a buyout. Bigger clubs poaching the smaller clubs best players is a regular occurrence regardless of where they are in contract. In fact the small clubs usually prefer to let the player go with numerous years left on their contract as not to lose them for nothing.

As for the leagues TV contracts right now the English premiere league is the SEC. Although La Liga, Serie A and Bundisliga are equals they don't have the TV contract and thusly the $$$ of the English league, who poach many of the worlds best players.

I have heard rumblings since the Superleague breakaway failed that the English league may consider poaching Rangers and Celtic from the Scottish premiere league. The only other sport that coincides is CFB.

Jackson

I’m not sure Wex has listed about OSU in like 8 years. Such an odd continuing theme.
TCU last played tOSU 9/18/18 which was many many posts ago for you, but only a mere 3 years ago. WEX’s posts confirmed that he was a strong tOSU supporter back then. Has he denounced them :)

cheese83

Right, I said not that far off.

But yea, players under contract get poached by the bigger teams all the time and they negotiate a buyout. Bigger clubs poaching the smaller clubs best players is a regular occurrence regardless of where they are in contract. In fact the small clubs usually prefer to let the player go with numerous years left on their contract as not to lose them for nothing.

As for the leagues TV contracts right now the English premiere league is the SEC. Although La Liga, Serie A and Bundisliga are equals they don't have the TV contract and thusly the $$$ of the English league, who poach many of the worlds best players.

I have heard rumblings since the Superleague breakaway failed that the English league may consider poaching Rangers and Celtic from the Scottish premiere league. The only other sport that coincides is CFB.

But you aren’t considering that being a selling club isn’t good, they get rewarded for developing players where as TCU if a big school came in and money whipped one of our stud players they’re just completely SOL & have no say over the situation.

hiphopfroggy

But you aren’t considering that being a selling club isn’t good, they get rewarded for developing players where as TCU if a big school came in and money whipped one of our stud players they’re just completely SOL & have no say over the situation.

The shuffling of money is a bit different but the bottom line is the same.

It seems you've made a Freudian slip, as the reality is being a selling club isn't good if your goal is to get and keep the best players, grow a fanbase, increase TV value and win trophies.

The little clubs in European football don't jump up and bite the big clubs anymore often then they do in CFB because their realities are very similar.

Last edited:

cheese83

The shuffling of money is a bit different but the bottom line is the same.

It seems you've made a Freudian slip, as the reality is being a selling club isn't good if your goal is to get and keep the best players, grow a fanbase, increase TV value and win trophies.

The little clubs in European football don't jump up and bite the big clubs anymore often then they do in CFB because their realities are very similar.

They still get paid & often large amounts. No Freudian slip it’s just a fact. Being a selling club works for some. Luckily I don’t support one as it isn’t ideal. But it’s better to be Dortmund & financially responsible than a former big club in huge debt like AC Milan.

hiphopfroggy

They still get paid & often large amounts. No Freudian slip it’s just a fact. Being a selling club works for some. Luckily I don’t support one as it isn’t ideal. But it’s better to be Dortmund & financially responsible than a former big club in huge debt like AC Milan.

Dortmund is huge! Try using some bottom of the table teams and tell me how great that is. For instance, Palermo sold Dybala and then got regulated and went bankrupt. Sounds great!

Relic

Is there a time limit on how quickly a player can move from team to team? I could see a scenario where a team about to enter the playoffs loses their star player (whatever he may be) and the boosters quickly go buy another one...would that be possible?