• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘Mr. Cowboy’ turns 80: Bob Lilly reflects on his days with TCU and the Dallas Cowboys

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

‘Mr. Cowboy’ turns 80: Bob Lilly reflects on his days with TCU and the Dallas Cowboys

By Drew Davison

Bob Lilly sits in a chair and shakes his head in disbelief.

“How did I get this old this fast?” he said, chuckling. “I’ve never felt really old.”

Lilly doesn’t act old, either. He certainly doesn’t feel 80-years-old, though, that’s precisely what he turned on Friday.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article233063867.html#storylink=cpy

Limp Lizard

In the video, Dan Reeves mentioned something I had read before: Lilly did not look like a pro football player (except for his size). No muscle definition. And that was compared to players during his time. Just a lot of natural talent. Wonder how good he could have been if put on our current weight/conditioning program.

Leap Frog

In the video, Dan Reeves mentioned something I had read before: Lilly did not look like a pro football player (except for his size). No muscle definition. And that was compared to players during his time. Just a lot of natural talent. Wonder how good he could have been if put on our current weight/conditioning program.

Limp, I've wondered the same thing, but we'll never know how much better he would have been..
A big part of his game was his quickness and speed, so being bigger might have made him slower.
He was already hay-stacking strong and had an uncanny ability to shed blockers while making the play.

RufeBruton

Lilly story relayed to me by two of his fraternity brothers (SigEp). The three of them were at a burger restaurant on Camp Bowie in POS French car (Rennault?). Lilly saw a couple of coeds, got out of the car, and told his fraternity brothers "don't leave'. He took a few steps and realized that saying 'don't leave' pretty much guaranteed their departure. So, he returned to the car, picked it up by the rear and placed the back of the car on a concrete post (bollard) thus insuring that he'd have a ride back to campus.