• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘It’s on me.’ Gary Patterson vows to fix TCU defense after it was torched again in loss

netty2424

The poor tackling is what bugs me the most. That and the reality that teams so often get yards running up the middle of this defense. That has always been an issue. usually against better opponents. Go to 3 linebackers already.

Why the crap do we always have so many key players injured??? So many that can't even go for the first couple of games. This is just unacceptable.
During the post game interview he said tackling was bad, but he was going to fix that this week.

His tone sounded like he was going to line everyone up and run Oklahoma drills all week long. I keep waiting to hear about injuries this week and more players out against TU.

Okay….I’ve sat on this for about 20m. What do you mean? I was unaware that this topic is taboo. Seems like a legit question ALTHOUGH I don’t follow enough teams’ injury reports to know if what TCU routinely experiences is normal or abnormal.
I assume that he is facetiously pointing out the degree to which posters have been attacked for expressing that there may be some cause and effect between the number of injuries we suffer and the S&C program. There is a group on here who seem to only remember when we were in the MWC and our players were bigger and stronger than the other teams and haven't noticed the last six seasons where the inverse has been true and that there seems to be an inordinate number of injuries and inordinate amount of time to get players back from injury.

BABYFACE

We are 10 seasons into Gary's 3 year plan to build Big 12 level depth. Things still look way too rough at far too many positions when we get past the 1s.

What happened to 'next man up'?
It’s not a depth issue pertaining to quality athletes on the roster. Most athletic roster GP has ever had.

The issue is gifted athletes not performing. Time to simplify the defense and let them use their athletic ability because they appear to not know their assignments in a complex defense. Yeah, I know. No way in hell GP doing that.

MTfrog5

It’s not a depth issue pertaining to quality athletes on the roster. Most athletic roster GP has ever had.

The issue is gifted athletes not performing. Time to simplify the defense and let them use their athletic ability because they appear to not know their assignments in a complex defense. Yeah, I know. No way in hell GP doing that.
Yep one thing that GP hasn’t really done is adjust to what offenses are doing against his 4-2-5 now days. We also aren’t the only ones running it so it’s not that much of a different look like it used to be. Simple is a lot better when you have the dudes to do it. Look at the Briles offense. That is about as simple as it gets.

Yep one thing that GP hasn’t really done is adjust to what offenses are doing against his 4-2-5 now days. We also aren’t the only ones running it so it’s not that much of a different look like it used to be. Simple is a lot better when you have the dudes to do it. Look at the Briles offense. That is about as simple as it gets.
Oh, he adjusts. He ran a three man front against SMU and dropped the LBs into coverage for a good part of the game. Basically a 3-3-5.

And it failed spectacularly.

Mean Purple

During the post game interview he said tackling was bad, but he was going to fix that this week.

His tone sounded like he was going to line everyone up and run Oklahoma drills all week long. I keep waiting to hear about injuries this week and more players out against TU.
Injuries are the norm with this program, unfortunately. Where's the depth that one expects from a P5 program! After the 1s, this team seems to drop off big time. Do the 2s get any decent time in practice?

Mean Purple

Oh, he adjusts. He ran a three man front against SMU and dropped the LBs into coverage for a good part of the game. Basically a 3-3-5.

yeah, that was just nuts. And it is like Dykes knew he would do that. So rip some more runs off. And if not, no worries, the secondary breaks down anyway.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

I truly wish there were various choices for notating on a post in addition to 'Like' such as, 'Spot On!' or, 'Huh?' even, 'The Garbage Dump is just down the road a piece...'

This is Spot On!

Mean Purple

Seems like the only time GP learned that lesson was the Alamo Bowl.

GenXFrog

Injuries are the norm with this program, unfortunately. Where's the depth that one expects from a P5 program! After the 1s, this team seems to drop off big time. Do the 2s get any decent time in practice?

Define 'decent time'.

If you mean, are they getting quality interaction and feedback from the coaches, leading to them being ready, physically and mentally, to be the 'next man up' when the situation demands, the results and the 'injured player' post game excuses would indicate no.

Mean Purple

Define 'decent time'.

If you mean, are they getting quality interaction and feedback from the coaches, leading to them being ready, physically and mentally, to be the 'next man up' when the situation demands, the results and the 'injured player' post game excuses would indicate no.
Dee's comments in post game still shock me. Saying they were not physically ready and players were chirping at the coach.

At what point do the questions come up of whether "he has lost the locker room." Then he will be on a real hot seat. He better pull some big improvements this week.

Wexahu

Dee's comments in post game still shock me. Saying they were not physically ready and players were chirping at the coach.

At what point do the questions come up of whether "he has lost the locker room." Then he will be on a real hot seat. He better pull some big improvements this week.

I didn't really understand his comment. Everything he said indicated they were physically ready but not mentally ready, but he said the opposite. Chirping at the coaches wouldn't be a physical issue, that's a mental issue.

I think we have a whole bunch of players who probably aren't all that concerned about winning. That's probably the norm at a lot of college programs, but I bet we have quite a few starters and major contributors who don't really care as much as they need to.

Fiscuits

‘It’s on me.’ Gary Patterson vows to fix TCU defense after it was torched again in loss​

BY DREW DAVISON

Gary Patterson is regarded as one of the top defensive minds in college football, but his unit is stumbling out of the gates this season.

SMU ran all over TCU’s defense in a 42-34 victory on Saturday, piling up 350 yards on the ground with two running backs — Ulysses Bentley IV and Tre Siggers — topping the 100-yard mark. SMU finished with 595 yards of total offense and didn’t allow one sack.

SMU’s strong performance on the ground comes two weeks after Cal had a successful passing attack. Yes, TCU held on for a 34-32 victory over Cal, but the Bears threw for more than 300 yards and connected on big plays.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article254532172.html
If you go back and listen to Gary talk about any of the numerous game losses since 2018 (and really back to 2012)...there is always a recurring theme:
- it's on me
- injuries
-we're young
-I told them what to do and they didn't listen
-they need to grow up

Every team in football has these issues. Based on the resources, location and financial support Gary and the football program receives....he is not cutting it

Fiscuits

And the Ducks losing their center.
Both great points. The Ducks don't lose their QB AND center...we lose by 50 points. On top of, I do not put much weight into bowl wins or loses. The teams are spent, they aren't playing for anything. And most have mentally checked out. Beating or losing to Oregon, Stanford, Cal, etc...the last game of the season, in a game that means nothing....stuff happens.

Paint It Purple

Okay….I’ve sat on this for about 20m. What do you mean? I was unaware that this topic is taboo. Seems like a legit question ALTHOUGH I don’t follow enough teams’ injury reports to know if what TCU routinely experiences is normal or abnormal.
Pharm, neither have I done any in depth injury analysis, so i cant point to data from the NATA or NCAA that places TCU injury statistics above or below the curve. Casual observation points to perhaps practice injuries versus game time injuries since we see few game stoppage injuries resulting in lost playing time. (I go to games and see what TV doesnt) Again...casual observation, but year in year out, this medical staff seems to have trouble getting people back on the field. And, i personally wonder if this coaching staff doesnt beat the hell out of players in practice. I know football, and in football, you have to at certain points practice at full speed, but you've got to be smart about it too.