• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘It’s on me.’ Gary Patterson vows to fix TCU defense after it was torched again in loss

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

‘It’s on me.’ Gary Patterson vows to fix TCU defense after it was torched again in loss​

BY DREW DAVISON

Gary Patterson is regarded as one of the top defensive minds in college football, but his unit is stumbling out of the gates this season.

SMU ran all over TCU’s defense in a 42-34 victory on Saturday, piling up 350 yards on the ground with two running backs — Ulysses Bentley IV and Tre Siggers — topping the 100-yard mark. SMU finished with 595 yards of total offense and didn’t allow one sack.

SMU’s strong performance on the ground comes two weeks after Cal had a successful passing attack. Yes, TCU held on for a 34-32 victory over Cal, but the Bears threw for more than 300 yards and connected on big plays.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article254532172.html

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
The Frogs were without defensive tackle Corey Bethley, which didn’t help matters. They’re also still waiting for defensive end Khari Coleman and cornerback Noah Daniels to return.

At the end of the day, though, that doesn’t excuse the poor tackling or lack of effort. This isn’t the type of defense that fans are accustomed to under Patterson.

Their returns don't sound imminent. Ugh.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Translation: We have no depth. At all. Lose one key guy, and the whole thing shatters like a good wine stem dropped on a granite countertop.

I don't accept this excuse. He knew what was coming, and either prepared for the wrong thing or prepared badly, and had no adjustments to make.

The practice of playing an opponent like Duquesne is stupid and insulting: It does not prepare your team for the speed, the motion, and most importantly the strength of an actual P5 team. With that benchmark established, we manage to very nearly lose to a crappy Cal team and get blown out by SMU. All because we had no strength. Neither physical or mental.

GenXFrog

Translation: We have no depth. At all. Lose one key guy, and the whole thing shatters like a good wine stem dropped on a granite countertop.

I don't accept this excuse. He knew what was coming, and either prepared for the wrong thing or prepared badly, and had no adjustments to make.

The practice of playing an opponent like Duquesne is stupid and insulting: It does not prepare your team for the speed, the motion, and most importantly the strength of an actual P5 team. With that benchmark established, we manage to very nearly lose to a crappy Cal team and get blown out by SMU. All because we had no strength. Neither physical or mental.

We are 10 seasons into Gary's 3 year plan to build Big 12 level depth. Things still look way too rough at far too many positions when we get past the 1s.

What happened to 'next man up'?

Mean Purple

Why did Marcel get moved to offense? we could use him on D.

Mean Purple

The poor tackling is what bugs me the most. That and the reality that teams so often get yards running up the middle of this defense. That has always been an issue. usually against better opponents. Go to 3 linebackers already.

Why the crap do we always have so many key players injured??? So many that can't even go for the first couple of games. This is just unacceptable.

Rabidfrog

D needs to get "salty" this week against UT, what my old jr. high coach used to tell us boys in Corpus. Tell that D line they need to penetrate into that backfield. Hit someone, whatever else you do.

blueduck313

this defense cannot be salvaged before next week-end. I'll be surprised if we hold them to less than 45. Hard to see if there is another win on this schedule. I'm even worried about Kansas. Texas Tech can horse whip us with a walk on quarterback

Horned Toad

Respectfully, i know we scored a late touchdown to pull within 8 points but that’s hardly a blowout. Tech losing 70-35 is a blowout. Meach splitting Evans out left on our own 5 yard line instead of leaving him in to block or keep the threat of an RPO play cost us momentum and likely the game.

Eight

The poor tackling is what bugs me the most. That and the reality that teams so often get yards running up the middle of this defense. That has always been an issue. usually against better opponents. Go to 3 linebackers already.

Why the crap do we always have so many key players injured??? So many that can't even go for the first couple of games. This is just unacceptable.

on the key players i am not sure how many truly key players the frogs are missing

many will point to daniels, but he missed all of 2019, was very good in 4 games in 2020 and then missed the remainder of the season. two years in a row missed and cut short to me would seem to indicate there needs to be a plan b at the position. unfortunately, part of that was another corner who has struggled to stay healthy and is out as well.

coleman is missing, but the frogs are getting little to nothing from a 4-year junior in mathis, a junior in elllison, and a senior in horton in rushing the passer. where are the two young de's?

one time we are told the frogs have depth at defensive tackle and then we are told they are missing bodies.

linebacker and safety struggled as well.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Respectfully, i know we scored a late touchdown to pull within 8 points but that’s hardly a blowout. Tech losing 70-35 is a blowout. Meach splitting Evans out left on our own 5 yard line instead of leaving him in to block or keep the threat of an RPO play cost us momentum and likely the game.
I believe SMU faced 3rd down only once in the entire second half with the exception of their final drive. They blew right through our vaunted defense time after time, often when we all knew they were going to run. They had total control of the game from the first play of the 2nd half on.

As to Meacham, I want to see his head on a pike in Frog Alley. The misuse and plain squandering of talent that the fool has inflicted on us would madden a saint. The fact that GMFP gave him a second chance after the last disaster contributed greatly of my disenchantment with him...

Paint It Purple

Be careful with the injury cause and effect talk around here. Nothing will get you shamed or banned faster.

Pharm Frog

Be careful with the injury cause and effect talk around here. Nothing will get you shamed or banned faster.

Okay….I’ve sat on this for about 20m. What do you mean? I was unaware that this topic is taboo. Seems like a legit question ALTHOUGH I don’t follow enough teams’ injury reports to know if what TCU routinely experiences is normal or abnormal.