• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘I feel like I’m a playmaker.’ How Alex Delton can win TCU’s starting QB job

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
‘I feel like I’m a playmaker.’ How Alex Delton can win TCU’s starting QB job

By Drew Davison

You won’t hear a bad word said about Alex Delton if you’re walking around TCU’s football offices.

Coach Gary Patterson constantly raves about his leadership in the locker room and being voted a team captain at Kansas State last season.

Co-offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie called Delton “a phenomenal human being.” The same can be said for his teammates.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article233534512.html#storylink=cpy

Eight

"Co-offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie called Delton “a phenomenal human being.” The same can be said for his teammates."

does this mean we have a team of phenomenal human beings?

i butcher the english language on a regular basis, but no one pays me to write and goodness knows no one here pays to read what i write except through your personal pain and suffering.

TAINTed frog

"Co-offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie called Delton “a phenomenal human being.” The same can be said for his teammates."

i butcher the english language on a regular basis, but no one pays me to write and goodness knows no one here pays to read what i write except through your personal pain and suffering.
You're right, writing isn't his strong suit. I think Drew means that Delton's teammates also think he's a phenomenal human being.

Not that Cumbie thinks the teammates are phenomenal human beings.

Eight

Sounds as if ...'the die has been cast'...and the coaches have made their decision.

jeremy has been saying for a bit of time that delton would be the starting quarterback against apb based upon what he is being told and how reps have been divided last spring and into the first of fall practices.

i guess it is possible that one of the others takes control over the next few weeks and claims the job, but the message has been out there that delton would be the starter.

netty2424

The people who always post “Run the football” should be happy; he’s probably our best running QB since Batteaux
Don’t think that’s accurate.

Without looking at the numbers, I’d bet KH has better rushing numbers in 2 years here than Delton had in 4 years. Just a guess though. Could be wrong.

BABYFACE

Dalton was very effective in the read option.

As for under center option and triple option QB’s : Batteaux was the quickest QB of running the option that I have seen at TCU. Anthony Gulley was probably the most complete option QB at TCU. Ankrom would have been great but the injury bug derailed him.

Glad he is a phenomenal human being but is he a phenomenal quarterback? On blind dates they always say first, "she has a great personality" I would rather them say she is gorgeous. Great Delton has a great personality, but what I really want them to say is this guy is a quarterback and is going to shock the Big 12 and college football with how good he is.

jake102

Not trying to misrep what Cumbie is saying, but every time I read it, I think of...

Question: Is she pretty?
Response: She has a great personality.

Yeah there's a LOT to read between the lines. Piece it all together and perhaps the excitement is lessened

CountryFrog

Glad he is a phenomenal human being but is he a phenomenal quarterback? On blind dates they always say first, "she has a great personality" I would rather them say she is gorgeous. Great Delton has a great personality, but what I really want them to say is this guy is a quarterback and is going to shock the Big 12 and college football with how good he is.
We know all anyone cares about is football. God forbid any coaches brag on how good of a person any of these players are. Just go out there and win football games while brutalizing your body in the process so we can all get our feel good once a week.

Purp

Dalton was a very underrated runner. We needed 3? He got 4. We needed 4? He got 6. Ran the read option better than anyone in my frog fan tenure.
Dalton was definitely an underappreciated runner. One thing that made him effective in that way, though, is his ability to spread the defense out with his ability to pass on the run. He would make a quick decision about which option will yield the most yards and go with it even if it was only going to be 4 yards.

Batteaux was a much better runner than Andy, but I don't think he'd have been as effective in the read option because defenses would have cheated more to force him to pass where they couldn't with AD. Conversely, I don't think AD would have been a very good option QB b/c he wasn't very fast.

Due to those differences in offenses and abilities it's impossible to really compare them. My worry with Delton is that if we try a lot of read-option with him and he's not beating the opponent enough through the air he won't be as effective of a running QB as Andy even though Alex clearly has better running ability. We'll see.

Purp

Don’t think that’s accurate.

Without looking at the numbers, I’d bet KH has better rushing numbers in 2 years here than Delton had in 4 years. Just a guess though. Could be wrong.
I bet KH also played a lot more games in 2 years than Delton did in 4 b/c one of those 4 years had to be a red shirt year where he couldn't play a down. So Delton played one full season and then was replaced early on last season.