• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘I’ve never played to lose.’ TCU football’s Patterson defends late-game strategy vs. OU

East Coast

Tier 1
This, the only problem with the offense (yes you could nit pick a few more) was that they weren't allowed to try and win by trying to score or get more first downs on 4th downs which is a Gary decision. Of course, Gary allowed himself to try and keep the ball with a ridiculously timed onside kick (i.e.: shortly after deciding not to go for a 4th a 1). #sociopathicbehavior
I had no problem with the onside kick attempt. It just happened to be about the worst executed attempt I've ever seen. I had flashbacks to Nick Browne and how good he was at it.

Pharm Frog

I had no problem with the onside kick attempt. It just happened to be about the worst executed attempt I've ever seen. I had flashbacks to Nick Browne and how good he was at it.

It was embarrassing at many levels but most especially the obvious realization that the Frogs don’t know the rules AND never practice that. If they did know the rules and did practice that play then it’s even worse.

Froggy Style

Missed the point. The point is that if you don't want to take a low risk 4th and 1 at the 50 yard line, why would you take a high risk onside kicking from your own side of the field? Answer: Gary has not considered these things. He doesn't look at himself as anything but the DC. He is not good at math, the odds, and in game strategy (when to go for two, when to call a time out). He panics because he has an inferiority complex, likely because of knowing he doesn't know what to do. He realized he made terrible coaching decisions by passing on the 4th and 1 and compounded the mistake and gave away any chance of winning with the onside kick.

He used to be able to outscheme the opposition before game, but no longer. Now we end up down 14 points in every game and have to fight to make it close so Gary can tell everyone it was a close game and he's not washed up.

CountryFrog

My guess is that the kicker was supposed to pop it up into the open spot between the first and second levels and came up about 15 yards short of the targeted area.

Frogs1983

Meacham has resurrected his career this year.
I am coming around on Meacham( minus his penchant to abandon the run game when it's working and dial up a disastrous cutesy trick play that stops momentum).

O is not the major issue. Yes they have problems, but D is the real problem. Can't get a stop when absolutely needed. 500-600 yards against 4 games in a row. Maybe 5, not sure about Cal's offensive totals?

O almost does have to score every time as a result, which of course is impossible.

Virginia Frog

Most of what you fellas are saying here is true.
The O is a 6 outta 10 and the D is at best a 3. The coaching errors are compounding the problems, I won’t give them a grade.
A 6 W season may be a fantasy.
I think we’re beyond the thought that a bad season could/may lead to a GP revival (come to Jesus moment!) so I’ll just sit and suffer with you folks. (And I know better than to “look forward” to basketball.)

PurpleBlood87

Did you complain when the Wild Frog worked for a first down? You could say that play worked until it didn’t…like most other plays. I had very low to no concern with play calling last night. Sometimes we didn’t execute or simply fell down. And sometimes their D was better.

Here is my problem on the first fourth and one and most of TCU's fourth and one situations.
Why can't Max just line up under center and attempt a sneak.
Max got under center more that once last night. So it isn't a question of taking snaps under center.

Real Frog

Is the one other coach on the list of the top 10 highest paid, for that matter top 25, that would openly say that don't care about what the fans think ( besides Nick Saban) and that the key to a season is getting 6 wins?

Virginia Frog

If I was the head coach, after not using the on-sides kick at the 4 minute point vs both Smu and UTx - that very possibly could have led to Ws - I’d practiced that play to perfection. What happened with that very lame attempt vs Ou? Fail!

Froggy Style

Here is my problem on the first fourth and one and most of TCU's fourth and one situations.
Why can't Max just line up under center and attempt a sneak.
Max got under center more that once last night. So it isn't a question of taking snaps under center.
Because they have tried that and everyone knows it's coming. We have two RBs that average 7 yards a carry. If you have a third and 1, take two chances that your O-line can get 1/7th of that average.

Froggy Style

If I was the head coach, after not using the on-sides kick at the 4 minute point vs both Smu and UTx - that very possibly could have led to Ws - I’d practiced that play to perfection. What happened with that very lame attempt vs Ou? Fail!
There is no perfect onside kick. It is ALWAYS a low percentage play. That's why you go for it on 4th and 1 or 4th and short...so you don't have to get an onside.

TCUWIN

It was embarrassing at many levels but most especially the obvious realization that the Frogs don’t know the rules AND never practice that. If they did know the rules and did practice that play then it’s even worse.
And the special teams coach is….??? I may be wrong, but isn’t it the same person who coaches the poorest defense? And the same guy that constantly blames players instead of himself?

Froggy Style

And the special teams coach is….??? I may be wrong, but isn’t it the same person who coaches the poorest defense? And the same guy that constantly blames players instead of himself?
Yes. New favorite phrase: "I told them then have to get ready" "I told them SMU wants to win" "I told them they better be ready"

Translation: "I am the one that knows other teams want to win. Can you believe they weren't ready?"