• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘I’ve never played to lose.’ TCU football’s Patterson defends late-game strategy vs. OU

netty2424

OU scored because the D couldn’t stop a junior high C team from Granbury. While I didn’t like the three pass plays there, one could very well make the argument that the offense needed to score EVERY time it had the ball…and that argument has some degree of merit.
OU scored because they got the ball back, as a result of a [ Finebaum ]ty series. Everyone knows the defense wasn’t going to stop them.

Edited to correct a punctuation error.

netty2424

Okay…D is awful and O must be perfect. Strong recipe there.
You quoted my post, so I’m assuming you’re talking to me, but no where did I type that the O has to be perfect while the D is allowed to be awful so I’m not sure what your issue is.

You of all people have had many strong opinions of GP’s clock management over the years, yet somehow this series is immune to any clock management criticism.

That clock mismanagement gave the ball back to LR. We know what the defense was going to do from there.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I get it. Score touchdowns on every possession and we’re competitive in the ballgames. There was zero problems with the offense last night. None…unless your standard is complete perfection. The O did so much more with less last night the statue outside ACS should have curly hair and be wearing flip flops. Meach was easily the best coach on the purple sideline yesterday
Zero?

My beef here isn't with the players, who played with everything they had, but with the play-caller. Come on. Wild Frog? Breaking into the 5-wide? We don't execute those plays. We never have. We were executing other stuff, stuff that was working, and it was abandoned for cutesy garbage.

And, yes, the offense pretty much needed to score on every possession, because the defense can't stop anything. And, yes, that is the root issue.

Pharm Frog

You quoted my post, so I’m assuming you’re talking to me, but no where did I type that the O has to be perfect while the D is allowed to be awful so I’m not sure what your issue is.

You of all people have had many strong opinions of GP’s clock management over the years, yet somehow this series is immune to any clock management criticism.

That clock mismanagement gave the ball back to LR. We know what the defense was going to do from there.

I was clear that I didn’t like that series in the game thread and in a couple of other places as well. It was poor game management IMO but if you really think your D can’t get a stop then I think the case can be made that you better try to score every time you touch the ball regardless of how much time you have to do it. And yes…this program sucks at time management and has for as long as I can recall.

Pharm Frog

Zero?

My beef here isn't with the players, who played with everything they had, but with the play-caller. Come on. Wild Frog? Breaking into the 5-wide? We don't execute those plays. We never have. We were executing other stuff, stuff that was working, and it was abandoned for cutesy garbage.

And, yes, the offense pretty much needed to score on every possession, because the defense can't stop anything. And, yes, that is the root issue.

Did you complain when the Wild Frog worked for a first down? You could say that play worked until it didn’t…like most other plays. I had very low to no concern with play calling last night. Sometimes we didn’t execute or simply fell down. And sometimes their D was better.

netty2424

I was clear that I didn’t like that series in the game thread and in a couple of other places as well. It was poor game management IMO but if you really think your D can’t get a stop then I think the case can be made that you better try to score every time you touch the ball regardless of how much time you have to do it. And yes…this program sucks at time management and has for as long as I can recall.
I completely agree with the need to score. We’re on the same page there. I just think we may differ a little bit in the strategy there in that small window of clock management.

At the time, it felt like one of those massive f ups to me. Maybe I’m adding too much weight to it.

Froggy Style

Did you complain when the Wild Frog worked for a first down? You could say that play worked until it didn’t…like most other plays. I had very low to no concern with play calling last night. Sometimes we didn’t execute or simply fell down. And sometimes their D was better.
This, the only problem with the offense (yes you could nit pick a few more) was that they weren't allowed to try and win by trying to score or get more first downs on 4th downs which is a Gary decision. Of course, Gary allowed himself to try and keep the ball with a ridiculously timed onside kick (i.e.: shortly after deciding not to go for a 4th a 1). #sociopathicbehavior

Eight

The play calling right before half was the breaking point in the game. We had scored…stopped them and had an opportunity to head to half down 3 at worst. Which would have been massive.

Instead, not only do we run 3 pass plays, we barely run one minute off the clock and force OU to use zero timeouts. They get ball back with 1:50 left at their 45.

Go into halftime down 24-14. That’s as close as we got the rest of the game.

no problem with the two pass plays, but would have liked to see a run on 3rd and 3. down and distance with miller is very possible and ou was not stopping the run effectively. if you make the distance needed the clock stops to reset the chains but we get the pass

also felt the frogs missed a chance to start the second with the one hope throw to davis and then the wildfrog on 3rd and 1

Toad Jones

Gary's tenure at TCU is finally over. The administration knows it, the board or the few who make the decision's know it. The AD knows it. The fans know it. The players in the back of their mind know it, too. Even Gary knows it. The absolute least abrasive thought is for Gary to say I'm retiring. I don't want this program damaged by a prolonged urging for Gary to step back. Please!!

A statue is standing in front of a beautiful facility and at the present time, it has a world of respect attached to it but the longer this decision drags out, the statue becomes a statue of resentment. I SURELY DON'T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN, PLEASE.
A week or so ago, I posted a paragraph about TCU desperately needs a culture change in this football program. Now more than ever. In another week it will become even more pronounced and the week after that, another round of criticism and resentment all the while the program takes a hit and yet then another. The transfer portal will be occupied fully and recruiting takes a mammoth lost of momentum. Then we're talking two, God forbid years to rebuild.

I look at that facility on University, thinking this is not what the thousands of donators were hoping for when they took their hard earned money and gave it to TCU to build an above average football program only to see it damaged. It has gotten to that point. No dramatics here just the pure simple truth. Again, Gary should not feel resentment but thoughtful gratitude. He's respected, revered among his peers but this station in life is a natural progression of events in life.

He's has three of the cutest grandsons you've ever seen. Jett looks just like his granddad and the twins are adorable. Keith, one of the twins has Gary's personality while the other is a laid back easy going youngster. He has plenty of income and I think he has a great retirement to look forward to.
Sincerely, sincerely, thank you Gary but its time to fade away.....

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

Gary tenure at TCU is finally over. The administration knows it, the board or the few who make the decision's know it. The AD knows it. The fans know it. The players in the back of their mind know it, too. Even Gary knows it. The absolute least abrasive thought is for Gary to say I'm retiring. I don't want this program damaged by a prolonged urging for Gary to step back. Please!!

A statue is standing in front of a beautiful facility and at the present time, it has a world of respect attached to it but the longer this decision drags out, the statue becomes a statue of resentment. I SURELY DON'T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN, PLEASE.
A week or so ago, I posted a paragraph about TCU desperately needs a culture change in this football program. Now more than ever. In another week it will become even more pronounced and the week after that, another round of criticism and resentment all the while the program takes a hit and yet then another. The transfer portal will be occupied fully and recruiting takes a mammoth lost of momentum. Then we're talking two, God forbid years to rebuild.

I look at that facility on University, thinking this is not what the thousands of donators were hoping for when they took their hard earned money and gave it to TCU to build an above average football program only to see it damaged. It has gotten to that point. No dramatics here just the pure simple truth. Again, Gary should not feel resentment but thoughtful gratitude. He's respected, revered among his peers but this station in life is a natural progression of events in life.

He's has three of cutest grandsons you've ever seen. Jett looks just like his granddad and the twins are adorable. Keith, one of the twins has Gary's personality while the other is a laid back easy going youngster. He has plenty of income and I think he has a great retirement to look forward to.
Sincerely, sincerely, Gary, thank you Gary but its time fade away.....

When the Frogs win next week all will be alright in Frogdom and faith restored. It will be cited as evidence that Gary has figured out how to turn this program around. And if the Frogs manage to lose next week then all will be well again when they do find a win along the way.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I let out a mighty groan when Estridge said, "And Max is moving out to the slot position..." I knew what was coming: Failure.

I was not aware that we got a 1st down via trick play. Probably away from the phone getting a fresh cigar... But it seems that at every critical juncture, we reverted to some trick play instead of something that was commonly practiced, well rehearsed, and effective. It is infuriating. Though one of those plays may have worked, I would file it under "Blind Pig and Acorn" incidents. The average ain't good.

And, you are correct: They had a defense. We didn't. Rather a crucial element, eh?

East Coast

Tier 1
Perhaps, but you’ve 100% coached not to lose by too much at the expense of potentially getting back into the game.
Exactly. And if he was truly thinking about the entire season like his latest claim, he would have let Downing throw some passes in garbage time, and at least try a hail mary on the last play.

East Coast

Tier 1
When the Frogs win next week all will be alright in Frogdom and faith restored. It will be cited as evidence that Gary has figured out how to turn this program around. And if the Frogs manage to lose next week then all will be well again when they do find a win along the way.
We should curb stomp that helpless WVU team. It would prove nothing to me. A win against one of the other 4 opponents not named Kansas might show the program at least has a heartbeat.

East Coast

Tier 1
OU scored because the D couldn’t stop a junior high C team from Granbury. While I didn’t like the three pass plays there, one could very well make the argument that the offense needed to score EVERY time it had the ball…and that argument has some degree of merit.
Except they were the most conservative pass plays ever. Very typical Gary at the end of the 1st half. Play conservative to protect the current score and if something good happens try to take advantage.

East Coast

Tier 1
The problems for me were another slow defensive start, giving up two way too easy touchdowns.

At 17-14 with under 3 minutes to halftime, we got the ball but failed to sustain a drive and run time allowing OU to score right before the break.

Then coming out of halftime and getting the ball, we go three and out with another IMO poor play call on third-and-one that resulted in a loss of a yard and a punt. OU scored on the next possession and IMO the game was pretty much sealed there.
Almost every confusing and frustrating play call had the smell of Kill and Patterson all over them. I felt like we had a good offensive game plan and then blew it up in a few key situations.

Froggy Style

It is amazing...we'll be 5-6 with people posting..."where are the naysayers now?" because we beat Kansas.

4 star QB, two 4 star WRs, two NFL level RBs, and a "genius" DC.

I wonder if Matt Campbell likes 6 mil?