• The KillerFrogs

FWBP: TCU kicks off sesquicentennial with week-long celebration

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU kicks off sesquicentennial with week-long celebration​

By FWBP

TCU150-768x510.jpg

From humble beginnings with just over a dozen students 150 years ago, Texas Christian University has grown into one of America’s most renowned universities. On Monday (Sept. 23), TCU will kick off the Fort Worth institution’s sesquicentennial celebration with a week-long slate of activities reflecting the school’s past, present and future.

For starters, visitors can take a historical walking tour with an audio guide featuring various landmarks across the campus. Signs will be posted with QR codes that walkers can scan on their phones and listen to a story of the building or landmark.

Other activities on tap:

Read more at https://fortworthbusiness.com/business/tcu-kicks-off-sesquicentennial-with-week-long-celebration/

Eight

By FWBP

TCU150-768x510.jpg

From humble beginnings with just over a dozen students 150 years ago, Texas Christian University has grown into one of America’s most renowned universities. On Monday (Sept. 23), TCU will kick off the Fort Worth institution’s sesquicentennial celebration with a week-long slate of activities reflecting the school’s past, present and future.

For starters, visitors can take a historical walking tour with an audio guide featuring various landmarks across the campus. Signs will be posted with QR codes that walkers can scan on their phones and listen to a story of the building or landmark.

Other activities on tap:

Read more at https://fortworthbusiness.com/business/tcu-kicks-off-sesquicentennial-with-week-long-celebration/

waiting for some to tell us how things were better on campus when things first opened on campus

question, did the book store sell slates and chalk before blue books?

HFrog1999

By FWBP

TCU150-768x510.jpg

Other activities on tap:

Landmarks around the campus? What landmarks? It seems like most of the school I attended was torn down.

“And here we have one of the few pre millennial dorms remaining on campus. Back in the olden days they segregated the dorms based on the outdated concept of “gender”…”

Panther City Frog

Landmarks around the campus? What landmarks? It seems like most of the school I attended was torn down.

“And here we have one of the few pre millennial dorms remaining on campus. Back in the olden days they segregated the dorms based on the outdated concept of “gender”…”
Yep. There’s not much I recognize about the place now.

Brog

Look at that old ramshackle, unattractive wood building at the corner of Cantey and Wabash streets. TCU has been trying to buy it for fifty years, but owners prefer that it continue to decay there. It was there when I attended TCU in the early '50's.

ticketfrog123

Look at that old ramshackle, unattractive wood building at the corner of Cantey and Wabash streets. TCU has been trying to buy it for fifty years, but owners prefer that it continue to decay there. It was there when I attended TCU in the early '50's.
There are no ramshackle buildings on cantey by those churches and waits hall - unless you’re thinking of a different street

Brog

There are no ramshackle buildings on cantey by those churches and waits hall - unless you’re thinking of a different street
You apparently haven't looked in a long time. On the southeast corner of Cantey/Wabash, just across Wabash from University Baptist Church, look at what you can see.

ticketfrog123

You apparently haven't looked in a long time. On the southeast corner of Cantey/Wabash, just across Wabash from University Baptist Church, look at what you can see.
And you’re intimately aware of what TCU has offered? It’s a large lot with a home that’s never been listed for sale.

Maybe they (a) want to live there and (b) know TCU can offer a good price when they’re ready

TCU apparently paid a significant premium for the homes behind Neeley on Merida

Brog

And you’re intimately aware of what TCU has offered? It’s a large lot with a home that’s never been listed for sale.

Maybe they (a) want to live there and (b) know TCU can offer a good price when they’re ready

TCU apparently paid a significant premium for the homes behind Neeley on Merida
Take a look at it, just east of University Baptist, at the decaying wooden building on the corner, and tell me if you think it's a home.

ticketfrog123

Take a look at it, just east of University Baptist, at the decaying wooden building on the corner, and tell me if you think it's a home.
Zillow says it’s a home. Are you saying this is a crack den?

Brog

Zillow says it’s a home. Are you saying this is a crack den?

Still asking you to go by and look at it, not on the computer, in person. Tell us if you think that decaying wooden building on the corner is a lovely home.

Virginia Frog

"George Washington slept here." no, that didn't happen.

But I bet they don't have on their audio tour the place on the TCU campus where Senator Joe Biden slept.

It's been torn down too!

It was Tom Brown Dormitory, "B"/center section, guest room off the front lobby. November 1976. I was there.

HFrog1999

"George Washington slept here." no, that didn't happen.

But I bet they don't have on their audio tour the place on the TCU campus where Senator Joe Biden slept.

It's been torn down too!

It was Tom Brown Dormitory, "B"/center section, guest room off the front lobby. November 1976. I was there.

Seriously?

I lived in Tom Brown right before they tore it down. Third floor.

ticketfrog123

Still asking you to go by and look at it, not on the computer, in person. Tell us if you think that decaying wooden building on the corner is a lovely home.
Im not walking on someone’s property

Go post evidence that backs your claim. Google maps shows a power washing or something as of 2 months ago.

Maybe it’s empty if that’s what you’re claiming

Brog

Im not walking on someone’s property

Go post evidence that backs your claim. Google maps shows a power washing or something as of 2 months ago.

Maybe it’s empty if that’s what you’re claiming
Who's asking you to walk on it? Go by and look. Is that possible? Then continue this friendly conversation.

HToady

You people! If it looked like it did when some of us were there it would be outdated and noone would go there. Look at Sid Richardson, and the Math building in front of it, they are still there....dinosaurs. Gee, don't we wish we still had the Ballet building, and that luxurious baseball park with the green wall?
Bravo to the keepers of the school....it's modern and park like setting, The best it's ever been!