• The KillerFrogs

FSSW - Mavericks/Rangers

SuperTFrog

Does anyone have an idea of how/when this thing ends with not being on Hulu/YoutubeTV/Dish/etc. Not only are they losing a ton of eyeballs right now, they are losing the future.

My sons are finally the age where they love basketball. All they want to do is watch Luka and the Mavs and they can’t unless they are on ESPN. I am not going to change provider for one Channel. I think it has been about 18 months and they have moved on. Now they follow the Wizards for Russell Westbrook and the Nets. Of course they pull for the Grizz for Bane.

The point is, without the games being on and watching them consistently, people in DFW have no ties to the Mavs. Without being too dramatic, this feud over TV money could cost them a sliver of fans for years to come as they won’t grow up watching the Mavs. I’m sure the folks at Bally are thinking about this, but there could be some real long term effects over this and Cuban must hate it too.

Wexahu

Does anyone have an idea of how/when this thing ends with not being on Hulu/YoutubeTV/Dish/etc. Not only are they losing a ton of eyeballs right now, they are losing the future.

My sons are finally the age where they love basketball. All they want to do is watch Luka and the Mavs and they can’t unless they are on ESPN. I am not going to change provider for one Channel. I think it has been about 18 months and they have moved on. Now they follow the Wizards for Russell Westbrook and the Nets. Of course they pull for the Grizz for Bane.

The point is, without the games being on and watching them consistently, people in DFW have no ties to the Mavs. Without being too dramatic, this feud over TV money could cost them a sliver of fans for years to come as they won’t grow up watching the Mavs. I’m sure the folks at Bally are thinking about this, but there could be some real long term effects over this and Cuban must hate it too.

It's pretty easy to get used to not being able to see about anything on TV, much less Mavs/Rangers games. I went to youtube tv about 5 months ago, all in all if you ignore the cost I'd say Directv was "better", but the end result is that I just watch less TV, which is a good thing. Have zero interest in upgrading to a new service for a few extra channels.

In the next 10 years or so, you'll simply buy TV access to these games direct from the league via MLB.TV. Something like $80-100 for all 162 games of one team, or double that for all games except those that are national broadcasts on ESPN/FOX/etc. MLB.TV is already integrated with ALL satellite and cable operators, and they are adding digital folks like YoutubeTV this year. It'll be lucrative for some teams (Yanks) with large fan bases, less so for the Rays of the world, but that's life.

Wexahu

In the next 10 years or so, you'll simply buy TV access to these games direct from the league via MLB.TV. Something like $80-100 for all 162 games of one team, or double that for all games except those that are national broadcasts on ESPN/FOX/etc. MLB.TV is already integrated with ALL satellite and cable operators, and they are adding digital folks like YoutubeTV this year. It'll be lucrative for some teams (Yanks) with large fan bases, less so for the Rays of the world, but that's life.

I guess my MLB watching days are coming to an end.

Wexahu

Do you have Amazon Prime?
You can watch MLB.tv there.

Yes. I was responding to the comment that in the future you’ll just pay x dollars for stand-alone mlb baseball. If that’s the case I’ll just do without it. I can easily get my baseball fix just looking at box scores.

I didn’t know Amazon prime had MLB.tv.

Eight

found this part of the article really to get to the heart of the matter:

"Pricing of the channels appears to be the main culprit in the standoff. According to Kagan, a unit of S&P Global Market Intelligence, on average, RSN pricing ranges from a high of $6.85 per subscriber per month to the least expensive at 34 cents per subscriber per month. Overall, the average price of regional sports networks is about $3.53 per customer per month, Kagan said.

According to website The Streamable, YouTube and Hulu also have another reason for holding back on the RSNs -- most of their subscribers don’t watch them.

In a March 10 interview with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, The Streamable co-founder Jason Gurwin estimated that only 5% to 10% of streaming TV subscribers watch RSNs.

"The 90% of subscribers who don't watch it are subsidizing the 10% that do," Gurwin told the newspaper. "Given that an RSN is one of the most expensive channels in a cable bundle, it's just not sustainable for these packages. Even at a more expensive $65 a month, the services are more or less breaking even on the carriage fees that they pay to carry all the channels in the bundle." "

most services are already paying a hefty price to carry espn and they just can't afford to pay for the regional providers as they will lose subscribers who don't care or aren't willing to pay higher rates for the sports

heck, we only watch maybe 1/3 of the channels on youtube and I spend far more time streaming things on amazon or netfilx. if my wife didn't watch certain shows on tuesday, wednesday, and thursday nights we wouldn't watch the major networks and as it is she only watches nbc and abc for her shows

The "solve" is simple: Put the RSN in the sports add-on package and assign an RSN by region (you don't get all of them). YTTV would gladly do that at $3.5 a sub.

By Sinclair won't do it, as the research indicates above, it just won't generate the sub fees they need. They need broad distribution for the model to work.

Eight

I feel like putting all of these sports behind a paywall is just going to push a lot of them into niche viewing. It happened to boxing. 75 years ago people never would have believed boxing wasn’t a top 3 sport. Sports viewing habits change.

realistically that is what has happened with most entertainment on streaming platforms.

there are so many viewing options that you can find what you want to watch, when you want to watch it, without ever going to a "mainstream" channel

we have gotten there in college basketball and football during the season. there are so many games on i don't watch that many casual games anymore. the appeal just isn't there because it isn't unique.

Longhorn from Aledo

realistically that is what has happened with most entertainment on streaming platforms.

there are so many viewing options that you can find what you want to watch, when you want to watch it, without ever going to a "mainstream" channel

we have gotten there in college basketball and football during the season. there are so many games on i don't watch that many casual games anymore. the appeal just isn't there because it isn't unique.

There are so many commercials. I feel dirty after watching most of them.

Pharm Frog

There are so many commercials. I feel dirty after watching most of them.

I feel dirty after watching that one about the beverage that makes the bra come off but I watch it every single time. I don’t feel dirty watching the Kroger commercial and it’s cartoon low, low, low, low, low jingle but I like it. No idea why. Hate the free, free, free, free thing from TurboTax and the biggie bag thing from Wendy’s. Love me some aunt, Ratt, cloggers, fencers, and pipes commercials though.