• The KillerFrogs

Frogs vs Horns Hoops Game Thread

Big Frog II

I thought our crowd last night was rather passive for a big game. I guess after all of those years of bad basketball we have forgotten how to be loud and wild at basketball games. Even the students other than the ones in the front seemed quiet to me.

Froginbedford

Bane always looks like a linebacker playing basketball to me. Last time I remember seeing that much muscle on a basketball court was Micky McCarty. McCarty also had the greatest (funniest) flop I have ever seen when a 160 lb guard nudged him and he went flying. The whole crowd at Daniel Meyer laughed! But the ref did call the foul!:D

You have to be chronologically gifted to remember Micky McCarty (and the "karate chop press").....

Farmfrog

Every time we struggle it seems to me that Alex is trying to do too much and not running the offense. He is so good but when we got the big lead in the second half it seemed he wanted to forget what he’s supposed to do and tried to force things. Bane and Noi were excellent plus Samuel was boarding like crazy.

As for the crowd it never got loud but the same could be said of the student section. I sit pretty close to the students and they seem preoccupied with their phones and talking to really pay attention. As we keep winning I think the atmosphere will get better.

Purp

Every time we struggle it seems to me that Alex is trying to do too much and not running the offense. He is so good but when we got the big lead in the second half it seemed he wanted to forget what he’s supposed to do and tried to force things. Bane and Noi were excellent plus Samuel was boarding like crazy.

As for the crowd it never got loud but the same could be said of the student section. I sit pretty close to the students and they seem preoccupied with their phones and talking to really pay attention. As we keep winning I think the atmosphere will get better.
We got up 12 b/c of suffocating defense and fast break points the other way. It went from close to comfortable in the space of 60 seconds or less. Coming back from the timeout it seemed like we lost that defensive intensity, which carried over to the offensive end too. They went on a quick run to make the game close again.

Similar to our football game in Austin this season, we had a chance to put our foot on their throat and stifle their desire to finish the game. And similar to our football game in Austin we let up on them and gave them what they needed to compete again. Fortunately, we didn't give up after that and regained control unlike the football team.

Eight

wouldn't say tcu stole a win last night, but frogs have to be a bit relieved to win a game in which noi, bane, and robinson shot a combined 13 of 37 and 3 of 13 from behind the arc.

noi surely rebounded from whatever he had as he was aggressive in the paint and found ways to be productive even if he didn't have a great night shooting the ball. 6 of his 11 rebounds were on the offensive end.

bane put together a very solid overall night with 17 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block and 1 steal.

big that between noi and bane they had 2 combined turnovers in 68 minutes of play.

alex struggled shooting the ball, but when he focused on moving the ball the offense was very efficient. i agree with farmfrog in that when he tried to create offense instead of taking what was open things bogged down.

not sure what to think with jd. he did some good things in the post area, but i can do without the quick 3's

the best thing kevin samuel might have down less night was using his size and strength defensively in keeping hayes from establishing comfortable position down low. also loved the 13 rebounds and 5 on the offensive end.

one big issue i have is that in 13 minutes of time there is now way kendric davis should have as many shots as kevin got in over 30 minutes. samuel was doing good things offensively and last year we saw the frogs pound the ball into vlad.

kevin might not be vlad, but i would rather see him with 8-10 shots than davis equally his shot total in less than half the time and kendric made some bad decisions on the 3 to's. kid is far too smart.

barlow flashed some potential and rj has got to do more than 2 to's in 6 minutes.

the ou loss stings more now that sooners have hit some issues and it was a game frogs should have had, but can only move forward.

love the effort rebounding, noi really has started to grow his game and the bench guys have got to start contributing

Last edited:

Froginbedford

We got up 12 b/c of suffocating defense and fast break points the other way. It went from close to comfortable in the space of 60 seconds or less. Coming back from the timeout it seemed like we lost that defensive intensity, which carried over to the offensive end too. They went on a quick run to make the game close again.

Similar to our football game in Austin this season, we had a chance to put our foot on their throat and stifle their desire to finish the game. And similar to our football game in Austin we let up on them and gave them what they needed to compete again. Fortunately, we didn't give up after that and regained control unlike the football team.

But...but...Texas is/was back!

CountryFrog

I've been a little disappointed with the students this year in football and basketball. They've showed up in good numbers for the games but have been very quiet for the most part. Right or wrong, the atmosphere always seems to start with the students and then resonates out to the rest of the crowd. When they're not making noise then no one else seems to either.

I feel like I'm the only person in my section sometimes who actually makes noise when we're on defense in both football and basketball.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Regarding crowd noise, a limiting factor at least in my small corner of that place - if you yell and scream (no cussing, completely clean) a lot of both road and home fans give you dirty looks. I've had a purple person give me a nasty glance just because I was riding the refs a little a few games back.

Sorry you brought your child, who has apparently never seen an adult raise their voice, to a basketball game. Next time let's try to keep it similar to watching in your living room I guess.

Last edited:
Regarding crowd noise, a limiting factor at least in my small corner of that place - if you yell and scream (no cussing, comletely clean) a lot of both road and home fans give you dirty looks. I've had a purple person give me a nasty glance just because I was riding the refs a little a few games back.

Sorry you brought your child, who has apparently never seen an adult raise their voice, to a basketball game. Next time let's try to keep it similar to watching in your living room I guess.
I’m surrounded by octagenarians who have donated a lot of the money that built the stuff we enjoy today but they ARE NOT standing except for the anthem, to go to the bathroom and the alma mater. I have to really be careful when and for how long I stand