• The KillerFrogs

Frogs v Southern Miss. Golden Eagles

Another dominating night on the boards as the Frogs out rebounded Southern Miss 53-27. Miller is a truly gifted rebounder

Frogs shoot 49% FG 36% from three. I thought we worked for good shots most of the night, a lot of good ball movement, but still a few too many sloppy turnovers (16)

It was good to see Wells and Coles do some good things out there after both had a rough game one. Coles finished with 9 points and 5 rebounds. If he can give us that when Miller is out of the game at PF I’ll take it. Wells had 7 points off the bench and looked more comfortable out there.

Evans had a bad shooting night, but I like his toughness, and he moves the ball well.

Center remains the biggest question mark. All three guys showed flashes of good offense around the rim. Cork, Lampkin and Doumbia combined for 14 points and 10 rebounds and only one turnover. Lampkin had the best stats with 6 points and 4 rebounds. I wonder about how they will hold up defensively against better competition.

Farabello really has a nice game after getting the start, 8 points and I think he has gotten better defensively.

Farmfrog

Nice win. So Miss can’t shoot to save their lives. You have to be happy that the guys go hard on the boards. I won’t have any hair left if we don’t fix the turnovers.

ShreveFrog

Btw players are in the locker room for the anthem this year
Seriously? Both games the Frogs have stayed in the locker room? And this is a departure from before? If so, Dixon, Donati, and Boschini can all get lost for allowing this trash. Bookending Veterans Day and the weekend no less. What shameful, ungrateful, embarrassing behavior. I hope money into the program dries up because of their sorry azzes.

Gonna make it hard for me to root for or watch this team. Maybe I won't. Pretty pissed right now.

And any one of you want to flame back at me, here's a preemptive GO TO HELL!

PO Frog

Maybe CJD realizes that if GP can get the axe, then he most certainly can too. Seems to have finally opened up the offense, although that could obviously be a function of the talent he has brought in. I've been fooled by quick starts before though. Remember ATM last year at Dickies? Think that was the last decent game of the season.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Seriously? Both games the Frogs have stayed in the locker room? And this is a departure from before? If so, Dixon, Donati, and Boschini can all get lost for allowing this trash. Bookending Veterans Day and the weekend no less. What shameful, ungrateful, embarrassing behavior. I hope money into the program dries up because of their sorry azzes.

Gonna make it hard for me to root for or watch this team. Maybe I won't. Pretty pissed right now.

And any one of you want to flame back at me, here's a preemptive GO TO HELL!
Yikes! I actually think it’s a good idea.

I’m not sure why we play the anthem at sporting events anyway. When it’s performed, I stand and cover my heart, etc but I guess I just don’t see a great reason to do it. I’ve never in the all the years I’ve been going to basketball games seen a TCU player do anything but stand quietly for the anthem.

FWIW, both teams, the officials and the coaches are in the locker room during the anthem now

And half my section are downing one more vodka soda in the club

Last edited:

Atomic Frawg

I didn't like our defense losing players in the post and giving up dunks. The switching/communication needs to get better. Turnovers, in general, make me pull my hair out. Otherwise, I was pleased with the effort and energy. Ready for the comp level to step up some.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
I didn't like our defense losing players in the post and giving up dunks. The switching/communication needs to get better. Turnovers, in general, make me pull my hair out. Otherwise, I was pleased with the effort and energy. Ready for the comp level to step up some.
I agree on the post play comment. I’m hoping that improvement comes with time playing and practicing together. That was really the one thing SMiss was consistently able to exploit.

I don’t know what wins and losses will look like this year but I think this team will be a hell of a lot more fun to watch. I’m frankly shocked at the seeming change in Jamie’s offensive approach

GenXFrog

Okay, so the question on my mind is -

What's the Harry Young story? I don't recall hearing of him before the video board sequence and the 'we want Harry' chant by the student section at the 2 min mark. Guessing I missed something while I sat out last year due to the covid constraints.

Delray Frog

This team seems to be dominant on the boards. If they can keep it up like last night, 53 rebounds and 20 assists will win a lot of games this year. I realize the competition of the first two games but they outrebounded McNeese by 23 and outrebound S. Miss by 24. That's impressive!

cheese83

This team seems to be dominant on the boards. If they can keep it up like last night, 53 rebounds and 20 assists will win a lot of games this year. I realize the competition of the first two games but they outrebounded McNeese by 23 and outrebound S. Miss by 24. That's impressive!
It’s Miller setting the tone. He’s a beast on the glass, plus adding the extra size we should be more competitive for rebounds. Our last few teams were pretty undersized for today’s game and we were too reliant on unathletic centers.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Okay, so the question on my mind is -

What's the Harry Young story? I don't recall hearing of him before the video board sequence and the 'we want Harry' chant by the student section at the 2 min mark. Guessing I missed something while I sat out last year due to the covid constraints.
He’s a Junior walk-on from Auckland, NZ. He played last year v UT for a minute then last night. I don't know much about him but he appears to be well-like by his team mates judging from their interaction during warm-ups. The guys certainly looked to feed him when he was on the floor and he did not just chuck it up when he got the ball.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
One thing that I've noticed through two... we have traditionally hustled well on Def under CJD. But there have been times in recent years where we do so nearly the whole possession and then get beat on an individual play where a guy gets a shot off.

Those bail-out shots have been worse shots this year directly as a result of our length and help D. That's encouraging. And this rebounding is insane and I hope we keep it at that level

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I agree on the post play comment. I’m hoping that improvement comes with time playing and practicing together. That was really the one thing SMiss was consistently able to exploit.

I don’t know what wins and losses will look like this year but I think this team will be a hell of a lot more fun to watch. I’m frankly shocked at the seeming change in Jamie’s offensive approach
Maybe the message got through to him about changing an approach that doesn't work vs. losing your job?

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
One thing that I've noticed through two... we have traditionally hustled well on Def under CJD. But there have been times in recent years where we do so nearly the whole possession and then get beat on an individual play where a guy gets a shot off.

Those bail-out shots have been worse shots this year directly as a result of our length and help D. That's encouraging. And this rebounding is insane and I hope we keep it at that level
Good observation. I had not thought of that

Dogfrog

We have some athletic depth. Early on it almost appears that JD is just letting them play to get a good look at what players can do in a game scenario rather than forcing too much coaching and design too early. And the team seems to like it.

A couple of other random thoughts. Good teams get easy buckets, and we worked a really nice out of bounds play that opened up Shahada Wells under the basket because they actually set real picks and put in the physical work lot make that happen. I can’t remember us scoring on an out of bounds play in quite some time, but winning teams make those kinds of plays.

Another thing on picks, I worry just about every time Eddie sets one in the open floor, he really likes leveling guys on those, and he was called for it once in the first game because he leaned into it. He needs to set his position and absorb the blow rather than initiating the contact.

Coles is a quality backup to Miller, he rebounds well, drives to the hoop with some authority, and even stuck a three. I can easily see him coming in and giving us quality minutes in the event that Miller picks up a couple of fouls.

Center looks like it will be by committee between Cork, Lampkin and Doumbia. If anyone emerges, it will be the one who can eliminate defensive lapses inside.

The speed in which it looks like the team is on the same page dispute all of the new pieces is pretty remarkable. The offense is moving the ball well and getting good shots, and although we have played two sub par teams, we have held both to low 30s for FG% because we are contesting shots better and rebounding so well that we aren’t giving up easy second chance points.

We should destroy Nicholls State and Austin Peay and then the real stuff starts with Oral Roberts and Utah at Dickies Arena.