• The KillerFrogs

Frogs v OSU - ESPN+

Eight

The tough part with Samuel is that if you're simply making the argument that he's better than many of the other options then that's probably true. I can't say that we have a bunch of terrific options that outshine throwing the ball into Kevin.

The other side of that is that I don't think a single opponent would have a problem with seeing us throw it into the post to KS 20 times per game because he's still not efficient enough with his post game or good enough from the FT line where we can consistently win doing that. There are games where KS has given us nothing on offense and we won and others where he scored 15+ but the offense as a whole still struggled mightily overall. So I just don't see his offensive production as a connection to winning.

That's the problem with the offense in general I think. After Bane, there are no good options that we can count on every night so we kind of just have to go into each game hoping that we can hit some 3s and be good enough on defense to be able to win.

the goal is not for kevin to deliver enough points to deliver a win, but to provide a source of easier baskets which this team struggles to find in the half court offense.

he doens't need to be the center of the offense, but he needs to be a regular part as the only three games he has gotten a significant number of touches in the low block have been ou, arkansas, and texas. yes, the frogs did lose 2 of those and no, he isn't capable of carrying this team.

he is capable of providing consistent scoring and we really don't know how opponents would or even if they will try to counter him because going inside to samuel isn't a consistent part of the frogs offense. you are right there is no offensive savior but i don't understand doing the same same again and again and again with diminishing returns in conference play.

at some point they have to decide do they focus on what they can do or what they hope will happen. problem with the second is dennis, grayer, and nemhard are shooting the ball at around their career numbers. sure, there is he potential for them to have their halves, their games, and i guess that is what we will continue to see over the next 9 games.

CountryFrog

the goal is not for kevin to deliver enough points to deliver a win, but to provide a source of easier baskets which this team struggles to find in the half court offense.

he doens't need to be the center of the offense, but he needs to be a regular part as the only three games he has gotten a significant number of touches in the low block have been ou, arkansas, and texas. yes, the frogs did lose 2 of those and no, he isn't capable of carrying this team.

he is capable of providing consistent scoring and we really don't know how opponents would or even if they will try to counter him because going inside to samuel isn't a consistent part of the frogs offense. you are right there is no offensive savior but i don't understand doing the same same again and again and again with diminishing returns in conference play.

at some point they have to decide do they focus on what they can do or what they hope will happen. problem with the second is dennis, grayer, and nemhard are shooting the ball at around their career numbers. sure, there is he potential for them to have their halves, their games, and i guess that is what we will continue to see over the next 9 games.
That's fair on Samuel. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just also not sure how much better giving him more touches makes us in the long run with his post game being so limited still.

Is it worth a try because other things aren't working? Maybe. I certainly wouldn't be upset if they tried it since there aren't a lot of great options.

Eight

That's fair on Samuel. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just also not sure how much better giving him more touches makes us in the long run with his post game being so limited still.

Is it worth a try because other things aren't working? Maybe. I certainly wouldn't be upset if they tried it since there aren't a lot of great options.

a discussion i have had with friends who either or still are in coaching is at what point in a season do you make the decision we can't have success doing what we hoped to do and make a change in style of play.

maybe the frogs are happy at 4-5 in conference play and don't feel a change is needed on the offensive end. maybe i am completely wrong, but it sure looks like this team is slowly bogging down in a half court offense they don't have the players to run effectively.

if a change in focus in the half court offense isn't the answer or possible do you try to push tempo on the defensive end by possibly trapping more to create turnovers?

CountryFrog

a discussion i have had with friends who either or still are in coaching is at what point in a season do you make the decision we can't have success doing what we hoped to do and make a change in style of play.

maybe the frogs are happy at 4-5 in conference play and don't feel a change is needed on the offensive end. maybe i am completely wrong, but it sure looks like this team is slowly bogging down in a half court offense they don't have the players to run effectively.

if a change in focus in the half court offense isn't the answer or possible do you try to push tempo on the defensive end by possibly trapping more to create turnovers?
This is where my lack of great basketball knowledge limits me. I'll admit ignorance in not having a lot of great solutions. I see the problems and the limitations, I'm just not sure what the realistic and doable answers are. Which is why I can't totally dismiss what you're saying even if I have some doubts about that being effective.

Shoot the ball better and limit turnovers is my [smartass] advice to the team.

jake102

This is about the time of year where I check out of TCU basketball. Catch the scores, maybe start watching if we are in contention for a tourny spot, but generally just ignore it and hope the baseball team is good.

Nembhard and Dennis are really bad, and Fuller isn't far behind (at least he's a freshman). Nembhard's volume shooting is destroying our efficiency/scoring.

bp4tcu

The people who equate not wanting to fire Dixon with thinking that he's perfect and nothing is wrong are highly annoying.

It is possible to accept that the program isn't perfect and the coach has made some mistakes yet not want to fire the guy. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many better 3 year stretches in TCU basketball history than Dixon's first 3 years.
If this three year stretch is the best TCU basketball can put together, then that’s damn depressing.

I don’t want Dixon gone because he’s made a few mistakes, I want him gone because I think he’s average at best and don’t want to settle for that because this may or may not be the glory days of TCU basketball.

Eight

This is where my lack of great basketball knowledge limits me. I'll admit ignorance in not having a lot of great solutions. I see the problems and the limitations, I'm just not sure what the realistic and doable answers are. Which is why I can't totally dismiss what you're saying even if I have some doubts about that being effective.

Shoot the ball better and limit turnovers is my [smartass] advice to the team.[/QUOTE]

hoosierfrog has typed it multiple times on this site that in the end in basketball if you can't score you are in big touble

trouble is i am not sure there truly is a silver bullet for this offense right now.

a golf pro during a lesson once told me that you should not make your club and shot selection based upon what i could do, but what i can do on a regular basis.

If this three year stretch is the best TCU basketball can put together, then that’s damn depressing.

I don’t want Dixon gone because he’s made a few mistakes, I want him gone because I think he’s average at best and don’t want to settle for that because this may or may not be the glory days of TCU basketball.
You're an idiot if you want Dixon gone.

Wexahu

That second sentence nails it, exactly my feelings.

This isn't a well-coached team at all, and hasn't been for 2+ years at least. Maybe I'm jaded because I absolutely hate the way he coaches (barking instructions on almost literally every single possession, heck almost every pass) but man, I don't see how anyone can watch us play and think we are a well-prepared team. That's coaching.