• The KillerFrogs

Frogs are so lucky to have Patterson!

What is CGP record since joining the Big 12. There was the Boykin/Doctson years where they were successful and the one decent year with Kenny Hill. Outside of that it’s been what? I don’t think you would call it good and you can make a case it’s getting worse. Patterson has been great but whatever made him great in the past ain’t working anymore. Maybe major staff changes give this program back on track but I’m doubtful CGP is willing to make those necessary changes.

We are lucky to have had GP and I feel like we will be going forward so long as he makes the changes necessary. We wasted our first two years in the Big 12 with Anderson and Burns running the offense and the last two with Cumbie in completely over his head when he didn't have Dykes to hold his hand. There is simply no way in college football as it is today that any head coach can provide cover for as much absolute dead weight as is on this staff.

TRF51

We are lucky to have him and he is a huge reason we are in the conference we are in but he has not had the same level of success he had before, not even close. He needs to start demanding the same level of perfection with his offense that he does with his defense.

flyfishingfrog

We are lucky to have him and he is a huge reason we are in the conference we are in but he has not had the same level of success he had before, not even close. He needs to start demanding the same level of perfection with his offense that he does with his defense.
So you expected to win double digit games 75+% of the time once we got into the B12?

basically become Oklahoma?

that was what we were - the Oklahoma of the MWC

and we should have stayed in the mid- majors if that was the goal because no one else in the B12 wins double digit games per year as often as we did in the MWC except Oklahoma

8 year record
Conference games are a few wins over 0.500
5 teams better; 4 worse.
3 winning seasons 5 losing seasons. 2 of the winning seasons were Boykin Doctson
Those three winning seasons were top 10 finishes. Peaks and valleys. Given our recruiting disadvantages — we’ve never signed a single 5 star player (contrast that with OU and Texas) — making a run at the conf championship three out of every eight years is pretty remarkable.

This is what GP means when he talks so incessantly about “growing them up.” He knows he needs his guys to develop faster and further than the rosters at the top of the conference. Every few years, he hits pay dirt.

I’d say that has philosophy has carried him a long way in 20 years. I know we’d all like our floor to be 8-4 every year, but unless we start getting top 10 recruiting classes, that ain’t happening.

frog-hat

The last 4 years we've had a top 3 (in Big XII conference) recruiting class yet we are a .500 team. That's not "growing them up". Hopefully that changes next year; we should be performing better. Given the OOC schedule, 8-4 or 7-5 should be our floor. Only 2 teams on our schedule recruit better (per rankings) players.

Last edited:

netty2424

Gundy has now lost how many times in a row to OU? He has also had two 7-6 seasons in the last decade. Rhule and Riley will be in the NFL next year. Klieman has been at KSU one year and could leave soon, too. Campbell is 7-5 this year and is one of the hottest coaches on the market.

Coaching in the Big 12 will leave some bruises on a coach's resume, especially if you stick around for a while.

GP has had some great years and some bust years as well. If he hires a new OC, then we will be back quicker than a lot of people would predict. And I bet there will be some changes on the offensive side of the ball before next season.

Like I said before, some of you have lost faith in GP. I am not there yet.
I don’t see Rhule or Riley going anywhere any time soon. Why leave jobs they’re having great success to walk into an NFL job that most likely will take years to get right. It’s not like colleges won’t pay them the same money.

Not saying they won’t end up somewhere else, just not any time soon imo. Both of these guys are on top right now.

JockO de Frog

I don’t see Rhule or Riley going anywhere any time soon. Why leave jobs they’re having great success to walk into an NFL job that most likely will take years to get right. It’s not like colleges won’t pay them the same money.

Not saying they won’t end up somewhere else, just not any time soon imo. Both of these guys are on top right now.
Plus, I think Ruhle just signed a six-year contract with a huge buyout.

Billy Clyde

His philosophy isn't working at this level. When we were mid-majors, the recruits we got from being in DFW were good enough to physically beat down the competition. In the B12, that ain't happening.

So, this "Win by 1" [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] where we play field position and try to punt the other team into submission is failing, miserably. And it's putrid to watch, and I can't imagine being a top-flight recruit and wanting to play in that garbage approach.

The TB2-JD years were so radically different from his historical approach he apparently couldn't stomach it. Seems like he kinda lost his mind after 61-58. But if he continues squelching the offense, he will continue to be <.500.

The last 4 years we've had a top 3 (in Big XII conference) recruiting class yet we are a .500 team. That's not "growing them up". Hopefully that changes next year; we should be performing better. Given the OOC schedule, 8-4 or 7-5 should be our floor. Only 2 teams on our schedule recruit better (per rankings) players.
We are nowhere near the talent level of OU and Texas. Not even close. Our talent is only marginally better than BU, OSU and Tech. Very thin margin.

Have we underperformed the last two seasons? Yes. We’ve played above our ability waaaay many more years than not.

We need some adjustments, but all this talk about GP being washed up is premature.

frog-hat

Since joining the Big XII we've outperformed (based on team talent level ranking) two times; the Boykin Doctson years. Other than those we've performed at or below our roster talent, mostly below.

The statue has no clothes. It's a false narrative that GP is doing more with less since joining the Big XII. He consistently has the third most talent (behind Texas and Oklahoma) in the Big XII

Since joining the Big XII we've outperformed (based on team talent level ranking) two times; the Boykin Doctson years. Other than those we've performed at or below our roster talent, mostly below.

The statue has no clothes. It's a false narrative that GP is doing more with less since joining the Big XII. He consistently has the third most talent (behind Texas and Oklahoma) in the Big XII
Three times. But whatever. We didn’t have third best talent in 2012 and 2013. Maybe 7th or eighth in those years, especially accounting for all the injuries in 2013. You forgot already that GP said we weren’t ready - talent wise - when we joined in 2012. We’ve had third best talent only the last three years. So yes, we’ve underperformed two of the last three years.

So what’s your solution since you are convinced our coaching staff is not up to the task? Or do you just want to [ hundin] and moan all day about how bad we are?

denverfrog

Good lord there are people on this board that are a real beating. If anyone remembers, 2 years ago we lost most of the team to injuries and at QB we were down to a guy that (no offense) was not a FBS QB and still managed to win a bowl. This year, we invested in a QB just as we did with Dalton, the difference is a better O Line that year. In my opinion, the hardest thing to do is to develop a freshman when he is running for his life. We were in every single game this year but one. Including 2 teams in the top 10. Get over yourselves, the future is bright, every program in the country shy of maybe 7-8 would take Gary in a second.

MadFrog

We owe Gary a ton. As far as I am concerned, he can stay as long as he wants to. He has brought us a Rose Bowl, a Peach Bowl, multiple top 10 finishes and so much more. Heck, we beat Texas this year! Those of you who want to get rid of Gary obviously did not live through the 70's or the 80's. Now that was misery.
That said, I personally don't think Duggan is the answer. His arm is not strong enough or accurate enough. I also don't think Cumbie is the answer either. Plus, we need to flush our entire offensive line and start over. They are terrible.
I also wish Gary would hire a defensive coordinator. Gary's defense seems to be too complicated for the guys we have now. Maybe it is just a lack of intelligence, but many times they are looking at Gary when the ball is snapped. Gary really needs to have some input on the offense. With his knowledge of defense, seems to me he could pick a defense apart with the right play calling.