• The KillerFrogs

Frog Volleyball 2021

JugbandFrog

Lost in 3 sets. Still haven’t touched 20 in a set. Looks like the Frogs were close midway through the 3rd but then got their doors blown off. Theoretically the competition gets significantly easier for the next few weeks. Jug mentioned that the Frogs look predictable and he’s right IMO. When you struggle get a good first touch and have to drop front row players into return, the offensive options become very limited and it’s not like the Frogs are blessed with the size and athleticism to overcome that against good teams.
It also seemed like we didn’t make routine, fundamental type plays, and let them get a lot of easy points. It seemed like their feet were stuck in mud and were falling over and not getting under things.

Pharm Frog

It also seemed like we didn’t make routine, fundamental type plays, and let them get a lot of easy points. It seemed like their feet were stuck in mud and were falling over and not getting under things.

Yes. The transition game is weak to very weak and the contrast to Wiscy and Minny made it even more apparent. And they were totally baffled in serve receive. For almost the entire first set and and the early part of the 2nd we couldn’t protect our outside hitter from having to take the first touch.

JugbandFrog

Yes. The transition game is weak to very weak and the contrast to Wiscy and Minny made it even more apparent. And they were totally baffled in serve receive. For almost the entire first set and and the early part of the 2nd we couldn’t protect our outside hitter from having to take the first touch.
Thanks a lot for walking me through this. I am learning a lot.

A lot of this points to coaching, right? There is a talent gap, for sure, I mean those gals on both those teams had 6 foot 5 gals that could move, and when they get set and leap to strike from a higher point then it makes a difference, right?

It’s probably the other way around.

if you are speaking of Misty May, the former Olympic great, then well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.

Pharm Frog

Thanks a lot for walking me through this. I am learning a lot.

A lot of this points to coaching, right? There is a talent gap, for sure, I mean those gals on both those teams had 6 foot 5 gals that could move, and when they get set and leap to strike from a higher point then it makes a difference, right?

if you are speaking of Misty May, the former Olympic great, then well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.

Some of this points to coaching and the recruiting aspects of coaching. Some of this points to talent gap and some point to athleticism and height gap. Minnesota ran a 6-2/3 setter at us and she abused us on the few actually pivotal points in the match. First, because either the Frog front row didn’t realize that she was on the front row and therefore could attack at the net OR secondly because we know that we were unable to defend both her AND her offensive weapons on the outside/right side, middle or back. So this could be either coaching or it could be an ability deficit. And, yes, when Minnesota and Wiscy got decent sets, they were hitting directly over the blocks. Taller and can jump higher…makes a difference. About our only prayer was that our opponent get unfocused and sloppy and gift points. Minnesota did that a bit but not nearly enough….they could turn it on whenever they wanted to.

About the only thing I saw that we were doing well at times was blocking and got to be honest in that some of that looked like sheer luck or Minnesota deciding to see if they could hit it through flesh. Oh…we also dumped and tipped well at times but mostly that’s a realization that you can’t really compete with their block and are looking for anything at all that might find the floor. Some of the predictability you were feeling I believe is because we are very slow on transition from defense to offense (primarily because a lot of the first touches don’t set the offense) and this gives the opponent ample time to transition from offense to defense, see the attack lines (if they exist) and align their defense accordingly. I do think this young libero has a really good future ahead of her if she develops.

As for recruiting….the first four points of the match were on the serve of a player from Frisco. And I know you were asking about Adams….she’s there and trying but we don’t have enough weapons against good teams to keep the opponents from doing everything they can to neutralize her (and they did at times by serving her). Gonna need others to step up if they can. Maybe Myers? Maybe Manyang? Both Adams’ and Manyang’s attack percentages are negative through two matches. That will tell you who Wiscy and Minnesota decided to stop and had the horses to do it. But if serve receive doesn’t get significantly better, none of this will matter.

lowfrog

Some of this points to coaching and the recruiting aspects of coaching. Some of this points to talent gap and some point to athleticism and height gap. Minnesota ran a 6-2/3 setter at us and she abused us on the few actually pivotal points in the match. First, because either the Frog front row didn’t realize that she was on the front row and therefore could attack at the net OR secondly because we know that we were unable to defend both her AND her offensive weapons on the outside/right side, middle or back. So this could be either coaching or it could be an ability deficit. And, yes, when Minnesota and Wiscy got decent sets, they were hitting directly over the blocks. Taller and can jump higher…makes a difference. About our only prayer was that our opponent get unfocused and sloppy and gift points. Minnesota did that a bit but not nearly enough….they could turn it on whenever they wanted to.

About the only thing I saw that we were doing well at times was blocking and got to be honest in that some of that looked like sheer luck or Minnesota deciding to see if they could hit it through flesh. Oh…we also dumped and tipped well at times but mostly that’s a realization that you can’t really compete with their block and are looking for anything at all that might find the floor. Some of the predictability you were feeling I believe is because we are very slow on transition from defense to offense (primarily because a lot of the first touches don’t set the offense) and this gives the opponent ample time to transition from offense to defense, see the attack lines (if they exist) and align their defense accordingly. I do think this young libero has a really good future ahead of her if she develops.

As for recruiting….the first four points of the match were on the serve of a player from Frisco. And I know you were asking about Adams….she’s there and trying but we don’t have enough weapons against good teams to keep the opponents from doing everything they can to neutralize her (and they did at times by serving her). Gonna need others to step up if they can. Maybe Myers? Maybe Manyang? Both Adams’ and Manyang’s attack percentages are negative through two matches. That will tell you who Wiscy and Minnesota decided to stop and had the horses to do it. But if serve receive doesn’t get significantly better, none of this will matter.
Understand going up against the #2 and #7 teams in the country is tough, but still, as with most, disappointed that we didn't do better. Can't help but contrast this team with TCU Beach volleyball and am excitedly anticipating our next Beach season. Not an insider so going to continue to hold comment. Just hoping this team improves. Would be happy to see them in the top 25 and stay there.

Pharm Frog

Understand going up against the #2 and #7 teams in the country is tough, but still, as with most, disappointed that we didn't do better. Can't help but contrast this team with TCU Beach volleyball and am excitedly anticipating our next Beach season. Not an insider so going to continue to hold comment. Just hoping this team improves. Would be happy to see them in the top 25 and stay there.

I’d be happy, delighted, and stunned beyond belief if this iteration of TCU volleyball sniffed the Top 25 much less achieved it and stayed there. Right now I’m hoping we break even in a very weak non-con schedule from here on out. I don’t know nearly enough about beach. Related but vastly different species.

Pharm Frog

They win! 3 to nil

If any match is close this weekend, it’s a very bad sign (as if we haven’t had enough of those). Should not drop a set although UMBC is not bad but comes into town 0-4. UTRGV should be dispatched in less time than it takes to warm up for the match.

Retired Frog

If any match is close this weekend, it’s a very bad sign (as if we haven’t had enough of those). Should not drop a set although UMBC is not bad but comes into town 0-4. UTRGV should be dispatched in less time than it takes to warm up for the match.
UMBC coach is a family friend. She won her league last year and made the tournament but all graduated. Playing all freshman except 1 spot

Pharm Frog

UMBC coach is a family friend. She won her league last year and made the tournament but all graduated. Playing all freshman except 1 spot

They are a solid squad. A couple of close calls down in Florida and the only team at this classic that should put up any resistance to TCU. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me greatly to see them beat the Frogs. It would disappoint me but not stun me. After the Tarleton debacle in the spring, I'm a hard dude to stun with TCU volleyball.

Retired Frog

They are a solid squad. A couple of close calls down in Florida and the only team at this classic that should put up any resistance to TCU. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me greatly to see them beat the Frogs. It would disappoint me but not stun me. After the Tarleton debacle in the spring, I'm a hard dude to stun with TCU volleyball.

Don’t tell me we could lose. Nephew said they would beat us and bet $100. If we lose I want our coach gone.

Pharm Frog

Frogs win 17-17-17 against UTRGV. Interestingly UTRGV dropped a 5-setter to UMBC this afternoon. Wouldn’t have thought that match would have been stretched to five but probably worked a bit in the Frogs’ favor. Tomorrow UMBC faces Nicholls in the early match before getting the Frogs at 7p.

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

Frogs take the 1st set at 14. Just went on a 4 point run in the 2nd to lead 14-10.

Win set 2 at 18.

Win Set 3 at 23. A couple of UMBC errors at 23-23 ended it.

Frogs go 3-0 as expected in the Cowtown Classic. Move to 3-2 overall.

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

On paper this would appear to be a really strong field for the Fight in the Fort as all teams come in with winning overall records including 6-0 North Florida. In reality it’s a decent field.

HBU has already beaten La Tech this season and two wins over Prairie View A&M and a W over Lamar account for 4 of the Huskies 5 wins.

La Tech has also beaten Lamar and Prairie View A&M for half of its 4 wins…with another W over Arkie Pine Bluff.

North Florida has a more impressive resume to this point with wins over FAU and Va Tech.

Frogs could go 3-0 again in this round robin. 2-1 seems most likely with 1-2 being the floor. Absent some Covid-hold outs I can’t imagine an 0-3 run.