• The KillerFrogs

Free Throws….why in the scheiss

Chongo94

….have we been pretty pathetic at consistently hitting these for over a decade?

It makes no sense to me. I mean we have been fairly atrocious at them through multiple coaching reigns and beyond numerous recruiting classes now. It seems almost statistically impossible to be this consistently bad at them for so long. I mean how can we have so many players over so many years be so consistently average at this part of the game?

And maybe we haven’t been, maybe it’s my eyes and my brain playing tricks on me and making my perception of our ability/inability to shoot them as more of an issue than it really has been but it sure seems like we fail the eye test. Someone with the stats knowledge, please feel free to correct me on all this…

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I believe it's a mental thing. The consistency with which Tech shot theirs showed unshakeable confidence. We looked like we were pretty sure we'd miss. And, lo...

I am still gobsmacked that this TCU team, with all it's faults and glaring inconsistencies displayed over the Conference schedule, managed to beat a fundamentally sound and motivated Tech team. I mean, where has that been for the last three weeks?

Punter1

I believe it's a mental thing. The consistency with which Tech shot theirs showed unshakeable confidence. We looked like we were pretty sure we'd miss. And, lo...

I am still gobsmacked that this TCU team, with all it's faults and glaring inconsistencies displayed over the Conference schedule, managed to beat a fundamentally sound and motivated Tech team. I mean, where has that been for the last three weeks?

This league, talent wise, is so close that obviously anybody can beat anybody any nite.

But your point about mental toughness is right...they've been in big games and we havent...so they have confidence shooting their FTs. We will get more seasoned in a hurry which will help in the postseason.

It’s been a long term issue for sure.

On the free throw positive, we did make 8 in a row during our comeback and Miller in particular looked smooth. I don’t think he hit anything but net on his four. Baugh also making two on a clutch 1 and 1 was huge. The ironic thing with missing the ones in the last thirty is that we aren’t even in that position without hitting all those free throws during the comeback.

LisaLT

This aspect of the Frog game has been an enigma lol. I think some of it looks like lack of focus when shooting, but I don't really know. We leave a lot of points off the board. It's like leaving men on base. Very frustrating to say the least.

With that said, we have won a few games making some clutch free throws when needed. However, we do lack consistency in this part of the game no doubt.

HG73

You know we won the game, right? Did you run out of butterscotch latte creamer for your foofoo coffee?

namollec

I enjoyed the game very much.

That aside, I agree with the OP.
Why do we miss free throws?
Why does anyone at that level miss free throws?
They been shooting free throws from elementary school.
The rim isn't higher.
The free throw line isn't further away.
By growing taller, they have actually gotten closer to the rim, therefore the distance is shorter.

As a musician, if I played 90% of the right notes, I'd lose a job.
If I played 99% of the right notes, that job would be in jeopardy.
Practice, practice, practice as the saying goes.

Why miss free throws at all?
Not enough practice?
Not motivated enough?
Not enough incentive?

Why?

The quote below is truth. Performance counts.

BrewingFrog

You know we won the game, right? Did you run out of butterscotch latte creamer for your foofoo coffee?
What is that crap? I was cooking steaks and drinking a damned fine Claret while watching on TV.

If you turn on your reading comprehension system (little button down there on the left... Yes, that one.) you will note that I asked "where has that been..?" The "that" referring to the winning spirit and ability heretofore rarely seen during the Conference stretch. You are aware of our Conference record, right?

BrewingFrog

There's obviously a llama, invisible to all but TCU basketball players standing on the line, that manifests itself and walks around on the rim and slaps the ball to keep it from going in once shot. That or the juice-quatic equation.
The Laggardly Llama of Letdown.

Pharm Frog

I have a bigger issue with whatever defense Dixon setup for that final 0.5 seconds. How does a guy catch a pass cleanly three feet from the 3point line? Play in front of the guy! If the pass goes over your head it doesn’t matter, it’s just a two.

Sort of like crashing the boards on the prior possession when you'd give up a 2 gladly but couldn't afford the ricochet out to the line but that's what happened. Wide open chance missed. Had to stick with anyone at the line.

Realtorfrog

We used to have to run laps for missed free throws. Some days it was everyone had to make 10 in a row until practice ended or sometimes we would rotate and the team had to make them in a row and we ran laps after a miss and then started over. This was 7th grade and we never lost a middle school game. Made for some long practices!!!

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
The Laggardly Llama of Letdown.
llama Drama Llama GIF by chuber channel

froglash88

It’s the Big 12 officials. They know who is supposed to make their free throws for the betterment of the conference. It’s obvious when one team can make a higher percentage than the other on a consistent basis. Worst refs in the country.

Froglaw

….have we been pretty pathetic at consistently hitting these for over a decade?

It makes no sense to me. I mean we have been fairly atrocious at them through multiple coaching reigns and beyond numerous recruiting classes now. It seems almost statistically impossible to be this consistently bad at them for so long. I mean how can we have so many players over so many years be so consistently average at this part of the game?

And maybe we haven’t been, maybe it’s my eyes and my brain playing tricks on me and making my perception of our ability/inability to shoot them as more of an issue than it really has been but it sure seems like we fail the eye test. Someone with the stats knowledge, please feel free to correct me on all this…

Hoch’s Choke at the Masters.

Scott was a great player in his prime but still missed a two foot putt to win/lose the Masters.

It is mental and practicing the mechanics to where a player can hit 10 - 10 in practice cannot simulate a game like Saturday.

There has to be a sports psychologist out there that can fix our free throw problem.

Latest posts