• The KillerFrogs

Free school at Rice...

Eight

about damn time they stopped sitting on that endowment. over $5.5b and less than 7,000 students.

need to put that to use and what better use than attracting the best students possible

flyfishingfrog

What Vandy can do is amazing. Their entire team (minus the ones that come from wealthy families) is basically on a full ride.
Well then they are cheating because the average Vandy student is still paying $30k in tuition to attend school and only families making under $90k receive 75%

So the question is if what you are saying is true , why are we not manipulating the system also?

Granted, it provides Rice with an imposing advantage in recruiting. One of those affordable perks available to a small

private university with only 7,000 students while reveling with an endowment in excess of $ 5.9 billion dollars.

PO Frog

Well then they are cheating because the average Vandy student is still paying $30k in tuition to attend school and only families making under $90k receive 75%

So the question is if what you are saying is true , why are we not manipulating the system also?
The benefits are offered to the entire student body. The regular student body pays more because most of them can afford it.

Moose Stuff

The “entire team” part is probably misstating reality but it’s a very high percentage. Combine your data above with the baseball money the NCAA allows and the minorty scholarships Vandy has and it’s pretty easy for them to do. Either way I can assure you they aren’t cheating. We don’t do it because we don’t have the money to do it.

cdsfrog

Half tuition up to 200k? That's badass. Most cut it off at 120k some 150k.

Middle class earning more than 150k less than 250k get royally screwed for education. I really hope that trend continues, I expect to get screwed but less so would be wonderful.

Harvard you pay 10% of base tuition if you income is 150k or less. They say it's situational after that but about a dozen people from 175 to 250ish have told me they have received a discount of 0%. All of them.

Jackson

If you can get into Rice you can go to school for free at 90% of this countries colleges/universities. That minimum ACT of 35 pays for tuition!
If TCU were to expand there scholarship programs aka Rice, Stanford or Harvard; then this would become a very different campus as 95%+ of the current student body wouldn’t have the ACT/SAT necessary to get in
If going to school for free was the end all we all could have attended local communities college and been “freakin genius”. Most chose “plan B” pay $250k for a degree from an outstanding school and live the dream for 4 years!!

Horned Toad

TCU’s next goal should be to focus on building the endowment instead of building more buildings. They have priced the middle class out of attendance and that is a huge loss for the school. I’m middle class and as I’ve mentioned before my daughter may be one of the last middle class students to get to go to TCU with the way tuition keeps increasing with zero chance at student aid.

Flame away!

mcdaddy

TCU’s next goal should be to focus on building the endowment instead of building more buildings. They have priced the middle class out of attendance and that is a huge loss for the school. I’m middle class and as I’ve mentioned before my daughter may be one of the last middle class students to get to go to TCU with the way tuition keeps increasing with zero chance at student aid.

Flame away!
It is.

Moose Stuff

If you can get into Rice you can go to school for free at 90% of this countries colleges/universities. That minimum ACT of 35 pays for tuition!
If TCU were to expand there scholarship programs aka Rice, Stanford or Harvard; then this would become a very different campus as 95%+ of the current student body wouldn’t have the ACT/SAT necessary to get in
If going to school for free was the end all we all could have attended local communities college and been “freakin genius”. Most chose “plan B” pay $250k for a degree from an outstanding school and live the dream for 4 years!!

Was specifically talking how it impacts baseball, not the general student population.

Moose Stuff

Flame away!

No reason to flame. My next two are in the same boat.

frogtex

This further emphasizes the ridiculous position our baseball program is in and how amazing the last 15 years have been

No other private school in TCU’s situation can claim our level of success.

Rice, Stanford, Miami have all had “extra” money to give away on top of baseball scholarships.