• The KillerFrogs

Fort Worth - 1883 on Paramount

vicarfrog

actually, i think that is the very thing that appeals to most when they think of the appeal of the stories of the american west.

first part of yellowstone when it was a simple story of john wanting to keep the ranch versus a couple of foes is one thing, but then they started bringing all these other storylines and angles and things go to [ #2020 ] quickly

the hope for 1883 is they keep the story simple because the simply journey and what a wagon train would face is challenging enough.

In general, I think that's why the BBC tells a better story. They let things finish after 2-3 seasons and then keep you updated with the occasional special.

In terms of 1883, who needs it when you have Lonesome Dove?

Toad Jones

Probably not.

I carry a S&W 629 .44 mag when we're hiking or riding anywhere near the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. There have been sightings of grizzlies way too often where we go sometimes. Hope to never have to use it.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Have family in Red Rock. Own a lot of land and he and a friend own and run a back country hunt for a week. Camp out in tents and the thing. One of there clients had just killed a big elk and field dressing when a bear came roaming into camp smelling that elk. When all the dust had settled they counted 32 rounds in that bear. He said that bear made a great rug for his son bed room.

Toad Jones

Have family in Red Rock. Own a lot of land and he and a friend own and run a back country hunt for a week. Camp out in tents and the thing. One of there clients had just killed a big elk and field dressing when a bear came roaming into camp smelling that elk. When all the dust had settled they counted 32 rounds in that bear. He said that bear made a great rug for his son bed room.
That' s Red Lodge not Red Rock.

BleedNPurple

Bear meat is fabulous I’ve been told. Makes the best fajitas. A former City Councilman in El Paso told me a story where a bear came after him and he was armed and able to shoot. I want to say he was in Colorado. Evidently if you’re attacked and shoot it’s your bear. That meat was preserved for a lot of servings.

AroundWorldFrog

That' s Red Lodge not Red Rock.
I was wondering where in the hell Red Rock was. Grizzlies won't be real common in that area, but there is the potential one could show up there in the Beartooth Range. A hunter was mauled this fall in the Shoshone National Forest NW of Cody. Ended up killing the grizzly and sadly a yearling cub had to be put down. Estimated there are 1100 or so grizzlies now in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem where in 1975 there were less than 200. Every year, a few people get mauled, almost always out shed hunting in the spring when the bears are really hungry or they have new cubs.

netty2424

None of y’all are asking the right question: why do we get to see boobies in 1883 but not in Yellowstone?
We got to see a set of Village feeders in the first episode, but they were quickly followed by hairy arm pits as they were checking the lady for small pox.

Last edited:

Toad Jones

I was wondering where in the hell Red Rock was. Grizzlies won't be real common in that area, but there is the potential one could show up there in the Beartooth Range. A hunter was mauled this fall in the Shoshone National Forest NW of Cody. Ended up killing the grizzly and sadly a yearling cub had to be put down. Estimated there are 1100 or so grizzlies now in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem where in 1975 there were less than 200. Every year, a few people get mauled, almost always out shed hunting in the spring when the bears are really hungry or they have new cubs.

I'll ask him to send along to me, pics of this years hunt. In particular was a mulie who scored big. If he will send them you'll see for yourself. Talked with him yesterday, said about two inches of snow presently. Also said this past season was one of the best. Monsters as he said but had to track long and hard to find. About six years he was scouting on horse back and came to a narrow high bend when a bear attacked him. Knocked him off his horse, rolled down a steep drop. Killed his horse. Didn't get him but the fall took out a hip, collar bone and broken arm. Spent two weeks in the hospital and two operations later still having trouble with the hip on horse back.* His family has ranched this area above Yellowstone for three generations. He also guides trout fishing but draws the line there b/c he has a cattle ranch to take care. His beautiful wife (in spades she is too) runs a small dinner somewhere around Red Lodge. Drop in a say hello. She's Swedish with bright blue eyes and long naturally blonde hair. In her accent she says..(c'mon now. Put the Swedish accent in there).....yes, Yellowstone will blow us all to the devil one day. We shake constantly up here. In that part of the state the Swedes are plentiful. Just in case your wondering, he's booked for the next three year's. Most of his clients come from Houston. He has told me many times he has one client from the Boston area whom he says is associated somehow with families. Nice guy he says, but we don't mess with him like we do the others because with those guys you just can't ....tell.

*He carries a very expensive satellite phone with him on guides and after a care flight, got him to the hospital. No towers available

Last edited: