• The KillerFrogs

Former TCU play Rob Adams schools Sean Payton

PurpleBlood87

Sorry if this has already been posted.

The Pop Warner Offense That Confounded Sean Payton, and What It Says About Offensive Innovation in the NFL

By Chris Brown on

July 25, 2013 2:30 PM ET

Much of the talk this offseason has been about stopping the read-option, but in Sean Payton's year away from the NFL, he had trouble with a much different offensive attack: the single wing.

During his Roger Goodell–mandated suspension from the Saints, Payton spent his time coaching his son's sixth-grade pee wee football team, the Liberty Christian Warriors, who eventually went to the league championship game. The Warriors lost just two games all season, but both of those losses came against the same team, the Springtown Orange Porcupines.

For those familiar with Sean Payton, it shouldn’t be a surprise that he took this seriously (well, at least mostly seriously). After losing to the Porcupines 38-6 in the regular season, Payton enlisted the help of some rather noteworthy former NFL coaches to help devise a plan that could slow down Springtown Orange's offense. It didn't work: Payton's Warriors lost 58-18.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/69548/the-pop-warner-offense-that-confounded-sean-payton-and-what-it-says-about-offensive-innovation-in-the-nfl

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
He actually enlisted the help of Bill Parcells and Jon Gruden to help win a Pop Warner game? I don't know what's more hilarious, the fact that he couldn't figure out one of the oldest formations in football or that the three of them equally failed at the task.

tcudoc

I think I bought a flying T shirt from him a few years ago. I think he posts on here, but I don't recall what his name is. Maybe I am getting names mixed up though.

TxFrog1999 said:
He actually enlisted the help of Bill Parcells and Jon Gruden to help win a Pop Warner game? I don't know what's more hilarious, the fact that he couldn't figure out one of the oldest formations in football or that the three of them equally failed at the task.

Sorry, i am having problems posting from my phone. Txfrog99, have you ever watched a good single wing team play? The ball is very difficult to find. Coach Payton lamented that fact after the game. When you add the dynamic of the spinning fullback and a 5' tall youth LB trying to "guess" where the ball is going it becomes impossible. Parcells was approached because his single wing roots stretch back to West Point and Gruden was contacted because he is a brilliant defensive mind. Nothing we did was original and much of it came from really old books and one newer book that is aimed at the youth coach. This year we get to start again with 2nd graders!! It was an honor to face off against Coach Payton but I'd be remiss not to mention that former frog, Brennan Hardy was the HC of that team and former frog, Toby Richardson coordinated the defense.

TxFrog1999

Hornedfrog76 said:
Sorry, i am having problems posting from my phone. Txfrog99, have you ever watched a good single wing team play? The ball is very difficult to find. Coach Payton lamented that fact after the game. When you add the dynamic of the spinning fullback and a 5' tall youth LB trying to "guess" where the ball is going it becomes impossible. Parcells was approached because his single wing roots stretch back to West Point and Gruden was contacted because he is a brilliant defensive mind. Nothing we did was original and much of it came from really old books and one newer book that is aimed at the youth coach. This year we get to start again with 2nd graders!! It was an honor to face off against Coach Payton but I'd be remiss not to mention that former frog, Brennan Hardy was the HC of that team and former frog, Toby Richardson coordinated the defense.

Much respect coach.  :cool:

Congrats on your work with those kids, I'm sure they were walking tall after both games.

Thank you sir. We all walked a little taller. You see, we were an expansion team that had never made the playoffs. Those kids on our team were always put down as the "B" team by their peers, football's version of the island of misfit toys. So it was actually even a teeny bit more magical than I alluded to earlier. The kids were awesome and they just needed someone to love, appreciate, and affirm them for special individuals that they were..

TxFrog1999

Hornedfrog76 said:
Thank you sir. We all walked a little taller. You see, we were an expansion team that had never made the playoffs. Those kids on our team were always put down as the "B" team by their peers, football's version of the island of misfit toys. So it was actually even a teeny bit more magical than I alluded to earlier. The kids were awesome and they just needed someone to love, appreciate, and affirm them for special individuals that they were..

Like you said coach, it takes a "good single wing team" to pull off that kind of success, especially when you have three NFL hall-of-famers (or soon-to-be) coaching the opposing team. Those kids are blessed to have you for their coach and mentor.

PurpleBlood87

Hornedfrog76 said:

Gruden doesn't have a brilliant defensive mind. He's an offensive coach.

Was told that specifically by a source from the other team. I would guess it might take knowing defenses inside and out to be a really good OC. I really don't know... I coach kids. ;-)

Punter1

PurpleBlood87 said:

Gruden doesn't have a brilliant defensive mind. He's an offensive coach.
Yea...but every offensive coach knows what and where could give them trouble and where the weaknesses of their scheme lies...and vice versa. For example...GP the OC could probably score more on his defense then any opponent's OC could.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Hornedfrog76 said:
Great story, perfect set up. Good job coach! I bet those kids were beaming from ear to ear. Tell them congrats from Dollar Store Dinosaur. I really hope that will mean something to them by the time they're a little older.