Former NBA, NFL athletes estimate marijuana use among players is higher than 80%

Discussion in 'Killingsworth Court, Formerly The General Forum' started by ThisIsOurTime, Apr 20, 2018.

1. "Not a good look for pro sports even if these numbers are exaggerrated. Makes me wonder how prevalent other drug use is as well.

Former NBA player Kenyon Martin, the No. 1 pick in the 2000 draft, said in an interview with Bleacher Report published Friday that he believes “85% of the league” smoked marijuana during his career.

Former tight end Martellus Bennett thought the number was even higher in the NFL, where injuries and physical pain are more prevalent.

"I want to say about 89% (of the NFL used marijuana)," Bennett told Bleacher Report in a separate interview among former NFL players."

Rest of article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...stimate-marijuana-use-players-high/536254002/

2. If we think about the substance used, its relative strength, relative addictive potential, relative potential to mess up your life versus other drugs, as well as the incidental positive effects on pain etc....

This is as much a non story to me as saying "80+% of players drink alcohol".

3. Yep, this is a non-story. Many athletes use marijuana rather than alcohol so that they can go to practice the next day without being sick and hungover.

It’s complete joke that alcohol is legal and marijuana is illegal. Can we as a country finally stop pretending that marijuana is some super dangerous drug?

4. Decriminalize weed.

Happy 420.

5. Same percentage as we had during the famous TCU bust, amirite?

satis1103 and talor like this.
  6. It seems pretty obvious to everyone that weed should be legal. Specific to athletes, the therapeutic effects seems relatively established, and in my opinion the more smoking weed instead of the Oxy junk, the better.

7. I do love that Bennet was so specific with his figures. 89%? Didn't feel quite confident to go full 90%?

nwlafrog, Frogfart, ftwfrog and 3 others like this.
  8. This sooooooo much. MJ should be way more of a first line painkiller than opiates, if we truly care about our citizenry.

9. There are a lot more harder gear (drugs) being casually consumed in the NBA/NFL. Weed should be celebrated comparatively - as ppl mentioned some of the benefits.

10. What’s the ratio on this site?

LisaLT, Tom Brown and Chico Dusty like this.
  11. Frog DJ and Casey8Ball like this.
  12. I'd honestly estimate at 5-8%

Edit - Possibly more if you include infrequent, every once in a while smokers

13. Past or present? :p

WhiteHispanicFrog and satis1103 like this.
  14. Oh hell, if we were talking past like ever once, I'd put it at the same precentage as the leagues originally in question.

15. Do Gummy Bears count?

bwood likes this.
  16. Sounds like a lot expert scientific reporting here... based on preference.

While alcohol may seem to be more outwardly adverse, the study of the affects of alcohol has also got many more years of research behind it. Science has just recently, “relatively”, begun to study the affects cannabis has on the human body.

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/recreational-marijuana-faq#1-2

When looking at ways to escape reality, it’s probably a good idea to do neither to excess. While taking chemicals refined from grain into one's body seems on its face to be more unhealthy, it’s obvious to some here that the lungs were meant to ingest the visual suspension of carbon caused by the burning of vegetation with psychoactive properties...

17. I've never been a big fan of the "it's better than alcohol" argument. If the argument is that alcohol is much worse, that to me is an argument to make alcohol illegal, not decriminalize marijuana.

The only comparison I think that can be made between the two is the effects we saw of prohibition and the subsequent repeal of that prohibition of alcohol. I would suggest that just about everyone regards that time as a mistake for tons of different reasons, yet we still keep fighting this battle with marijuana. Doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Your point about is neither being especially good for you and damaging to the body is spot on, of course.

18. Keep it one hundo

19. One you wake up with a hangover, one you don’t

20. Edibles if u don’t like smoking are a good way to go. I have been using cbd oils for years for their anti-inflammatory and cancer prevention benefits. The FDA has now finally approved a cannabis drug to fight epilepsy. It’s only a matter of time before it’s legal in all 50 states.

It pays to live in California where it’s all so readily available:)