• The KillerFrogs

For those who think NBA doesn't hate Mavs

713frog

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=5148873

Welcome to the NBA -- the National Blaming Association. (Rick Reilly @ ESPN)

Phil Jackson blames the refs for Kevin Durant getting too many calls.

Durant blames Jackson for dissing him.

David Stern blames Jackson for blaming officials and blames HIMSELF for not suspending Jackson in the '80s for blaming the refs.

Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy blames Stern for the playoffs taking so long.

Orlando's Dwight Howard blames the refs for whistling him when other stars go free.

Nugget JR Smith blames his team for playing "selfish"

Nugget Chauncey Billups blames acting coach Adrian Dantley for not being as good a coach as cancer-recovering George Karl.

Mavs owner Mark Cuban blames the NFL for hurting the National Blaming Association ratings with its three-day draft.

Remind me. Is this basketball or The Real Housewives of Orange County?

Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Hey Phil, you tried to get in the kid's head. It didn't work.

Hey Kevin, you're a superstar now. You DO get calls. Enjoy.

Hey David, you can pretend you want these people to shut up, but you secretly love fining tall people. Sort of elevator shoes made of $100s.

Hey Stan, would you rather trade schedules with the New Jersey Nets?

Hey Dwight: You have the body of Zeus and an $85 million contract and more free throws than anybody in the league this season not named Durant. Nobody's holding any telethons for you.

Hey J.R Swish, just J.R. Shush: you've only got 10 assists so far. Chauncey has 30. You calling somebody selfish is like Dr. Phil calling somebody bald.

Oh, and hey Nuggets, how about rallying around your coach, who's fighting for his life, instead of giving him more heartache.

And lastly, Mark, tell your players, your coaches and your commissioner to STOP blaming everybody else. Maybe then you'd get more people watching and less people pressing MUTE.

See all of Rick Reilly's Too Short for a Column.
More random mind dumps from the brain of Rick Reilly. Go fish!
Be sure to check out Rick's Life of Reilly.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ Apr 30 2010, 12:26 PM) [snapback]553285[/snapback]
Not usually a fan of RR but this is great...almost Simmons-esque. I like it.

SHUT UP AND PLAY!!!

Hey South,
[SIZE=36pt]THERE IS A SALE AT TOYS-R-US![/SIZE]

gdu

QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ Apr 30 2010, 04:59 PM) [snapback]553262[/snapback]
So one minute you're "giving the Spurs their props" and then questioning their 4 championships...pick one or the other, counselor.

Reread my post. I never questioned their championships. I said I'd feel the same way as Spurs fans if my team had won 4 and not been screwed over in the championship.

Maybe the Mavs got jobbed in the 2006 Finals...maybe they didn't. That was almost 4 years ago and the Mavs have had as good or better players since then...shouldn't they have advanced to the Finals again or did Crawford pee in their cheerios once again?

tough mathcups with Golden State and got outplayed this year (except for game 3, which as I said earlier, I didn't watch).

Just a weak argument IMO to ever blame a loss on officiating. Yea, maybe the calls don't go in your favor. But cause you to lose? I'm not buying that bill of goods.
Very much agreed, generally speaking. I am blaming 16 though. Not just one game. This is a clear pattern.

2 point game where one player shoots more FTs than the entire team he is facing. Yead, I'd say that could certianly cause a team to lose.

713frog

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 30 2010, 01:10 PM) [snapback]553325[/snapback]
Hey South,
[SIZE=36pt]THERE IS A SALE AT TOYS-R-US![/SIZE]

???????????

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(The Main @ Apr 30 2010, 01:12 PM) [snapback]553329[/snapback]
???????????

You and South Texas F. are kids - just pointing that out. Idiot.

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 30 2010, 01:16 PM) [snapback]553334[/snapback]

Grown [Deleted] man making fun of "kids" on the Internet... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What a loser.

713frog

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 30 2010, 01:16 PM) [snapback]553334[/snapback]

Not sure about South Texas since I don't know him, but I'm a grown man. You're the one with the name-calling.

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(The Main @ Apr 30 2010, 01:19 PM) [snapback]553339[/snapback]
Not sure about South Texas since I don't know him, but I'm a grown man. You're the one with the name-calling.

Grown-[Deleted] man.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ Apr 30 2010, 01:48 PM) [snapback]553365[/snapback]
Grown-[Deleted] man.

[SIZE=10pt]2314 has an announcement to make:
[/SIZE]2314 will not follow the posts of child-like posters South Texas Frog and The Main (the main what? Main idiot?).

gdu

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 30 2010, 06:55 PM) [snapback]553371[/snapback]
[/SIZE]2314 will not follow the posts of child-like posters South Texas Frog and The Main (the main what? Main idiot?).

meltdown imminent.

BTW, 2314, did you realize your post count is about to be 2,314? What are you going to do to celebrate and can I for one say that I hope you stop posting at that point in order to forever preserve the number?

713frog

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 30 2010, 01:55 PM) [snapback]553371[/snapback]

Good try. You're probably too old to know this, but the cafeteria in the Student Center is known as "The Main".

50FT FROG

QUOTE(The Main @ Apr 30 2010, 07:00 PM) [snapback]553376[/snapback]
Good try. You're probably too old to know this, but the cafeteria in the Student Center is known as "The Main".

actually, it wasn't a good try.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(The Main @ Apr 30 2010, 02:00 PM) [snapback]553376[/snapback]

Of course I knew that. Duh. We called it that in the 80s as well.
Did you really respond to that? :wacko:

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 30 2010, 02:16 PM) [snapback]553386[/snapback]
Of course I knew that. Duh. We called it that in the 80s as well.
Did you really respond to that? :wacko:

I must thank gdu for bringing this to my attention.
This is now 2314's

[SIZE=36pt]2,314th post![/SIZE]

Although, to be accurate, I have more with post counts to the original, "TCU2314" and its brother, "2314@work."
Would love to know my total post count, although RSF would get jealous.

Alamo_Frog

I think that Donaghy's book is mostly accurate....he had nothing to lose by letting it all out. Even the FBI backed up the thinking that he was truthful and the NBA said they could not deny what he wrote. But, 2314 is forgetting a few pages of the book in that one excerpt....

Donaghy states that only a couple of refs, Crawford esp had issues with the Mavs because of Cuban. And those couple did not ref all 4 Spurs wins in this series.

Also, refereeing did not play a major part in any of the games. If you want to argue that Dirk did not commit 2 stupid fouls in game 6, giving him a total of 4, you would be in the minority.

But, you should also expand your thinking...

The hatred is much broader than just the NBA...
Many fans hate the 'softness' of the Mavs.
Many people hate the way Dirk falls down on 30% of his shots even though no one touches him.
Many people hate that game 7 against the Spurs when Mavs won when Duncan 'fouled" Dirk by having Dirk step on Tim's foot.

But, most of all people hate the Mavs because they cannot face up to the fact that they have a history of choking in the playoffs and that it is never the fault of the Mavs themselves. It's always the 'conspiracy'. It's a shame really because there is a lot to like about the Mavs.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(Alamo_Frog @ Apr 30 2010, 02:31 PM) [snapback]553393[/snapback]
Many people hate the way Dirk falls down on 30% of his shots even though no one touches him.

You just described 98% of the foreign-born players (including Manu Ginobili) in the NBA. :tongue:

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(RSF @ Apr 30 2010, 02:34 PM) [snapback]553397[/snapback]
You just described 98% of the foreign-born players (including Manu Ginobili) in the NBA. :tongue:

LOL. Exactly. Ginobili is BY FAR the worst in the league.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(Alamo_Frog @ Apr 30 2010, 02:31 PM) [snapback]553393[/snapback]
Many people hate that game 7 against the Spurs when Mavs won when Duncan 'fouled" Dirk by having Dirk step on Tim's foot.

'Many people' meaning 'Spurs fans'.

Alamo_Frog

QUOTE(RSF @ Apr 30 2010, 07:34 PM) [snapback]553397[/snapback]

Good point. I should have clarified that I was referring to fallaway jumpers. I watch the Spurs all the time and don't see him doing that very often. I would certainly say he is an excellent 'actor', but generally not brough on by just falling backwards on jump shots.

Alamo_Frog

QUOTE(RSF @ Apr 30 2010, 07:36 PM) [snapback]553399[/snapback]
'Many people' meaning 'Spurs fans'.

No argument there :biggrin:

But there are 'many' Spurs fans.