• The KillerFrogs

Football Scoop: Sources: TCU working on an extension for Sonny Dykes

LVH

I think he has done a great job but I hate extensions after a good first year. Seems like more often than not the coach isn't able to replicate that first year success and the school is stuck with the coach for a lot longer than they should have been.

Not saying we are going to fall apart after this year but this is the type of thing that for example got Mel Tucker a 100 million dollar contract at Michigan State after one above average season

froginaustin

I think I remember the public part of Gary Patterson’s first HC contract paying him about $400k per year for 4 years. Was bumped to about $1.2m after first year— around what Fran was paid (by TCU; not counting booster deals).

Sort of like sweetening the pre-nup after the honeymoon.

TCUdirtbag

I don’t think TCU will sign a crazy extension for Dykes this year. He may go from the current average of $4.5 - $5 over 6 years (through 2027 season) to getting a 2 year extension that averages $6 - $7 over 8 years (through 2029 season) with enhanced incentives, retention bonuses, assistant pool, etc.

Now if some job opens up and someone else throws dumb money at him, then TCU will have to step up further. But I don’t expect that.

TCU knows how to pay and retain good coaches. Look at the recent (last 15 year) history.

I don’t think TCU will sign a crazy extension for Dykes this year. He may go from the current average of $4.5 - $5 over 6 years (through 2027 season) to getting a 2 year extension that averages $6 - $7 over 8 years (through 2029 season) with enhanced incentives, retention bonuses, assistant pool, etc.

Now if some job opens up and someone else throws dumb money at him, then TCU will have to step up further. But I don’t expect that.

TCU knows how to pay and retain good coaches. Look at the recent (last 15 year) history.
Coach is happy, extension is all about putting rumors to bed. It’s that time of year.

The real concern is with the staff, assistant coaches, etc… That’s where work is being put in, with more to come.

Wexahu

Well, if any fan base is equipped to see the “good assistants move on” glass as half full, it’s this one.

We’ll still have our chicken littles, but losing good assistants is better than keeping ineffective ones.
I hope we can keep a few of ours, but losing assistants because they are moving up the ladder is a good thing. Alabama has been doing it for 15 years.

We’ll get quality guys to replace whoever leaves.

jack the frog

Do whatever it takes to keep him AND his staff in place. I don't give a flying scheiss how much money it costs. I ain't paying any of it.

For those who keep bringing up Jimbo - Obviously it would be moronic to give him a 10 year fully guaranteed contract but I really doubt that's on the table at all so really no point in being afraid of something that's not going to happen.
Correct. I think we can protect some coaches and offer some due reward without going full aggy. 'Cept Kaz, lock in Kaz forever.