• The KillerFrogs

Football Scoop: Sources: TCU working on an extension for Sonny Dykes

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Sources: TCU working on an extension for Sonny Dykes​

Story by Zach Barnett

AA1280ew.img

TCU is working on a new contract for head coach Sonny Dykes as Auburn's search for their new head coach continues, sources told FootballScoop on Friday.

Auburn fired Bryan Harsin on Oct. 31 and, while the majority of the focus has centered on Ole Miss's Lane Kiffin, the Tigers, led by new AD John Cohen, has done its due diligence elsewhere. Kiffin also indicated following Thursday night's Egg Bowl loss to Mississippi State that he anticipated remaining in Oxford.

In Year 1 in Fort Worth, Dykes has TCU on the cusp of the program's first College Football Playoff berth. Having inherited many of the same pieces that went 5-7 a year ago, Dykes's first TCU team is 11-0 and ranked fourth in the latest College Football Playoff rankings.

Read more at https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-tcu-working-on-an-extension-for-sonny-dykes-auburn

Tshirt Fan

There needs to be a clause that each break-even or losing season cuts 3 years off the contract guaranteed money.
Pay for performance.

It has not even been a year yet, and Coach Dykes is reported to have a 6 year contract at close to $30 million. Isn’t that more than enough for him right now, while it may be more prudent for TCU to evaluate him and an extension after another year or two? We laugh at Aggies for their impulsiveness biting then in the behind, Jimbo, and then TCU is doing this after less than one year.

Yes, I would first be concerned about his assistant coaches; Coach Dykes has enough and likes TCU. Those assistants are more likely to leave than Dykes

BleedNPurple

Please just don’t turn into Jimbo Fisher. TCU knows the sharks will be circling the ship if we don’t do this and it helps in recruiting but it does need to be tied to performance with an escape clause if we’re going 4-7.

Planks

I posted this in the other thread, but I wonder if we are intentionally leaking this in order to preempt any other malicious rumors that may come up about such and such school wanting to poach Dykes.

We can’t risk even the slightest distraction to our team right now considering what’s on the line with our season.

CountryFrog

Do whatever it takes to keep him AND his staff in place. I don't give a flying scheiss how much money it costs. I ain't paying any of it.

For those who keep bringing up Jimbo - Obviously it would be moronic to give him a 10 year fully guaranteed contract but I really doubt that's on the table at all so really no point in being afraid of something that's not going to happen.

I posted this in the other thread, but I wonder if we are intentionally leaking this in order to preempt any other malicious rumors that may come up about such and such school wanting to poach Dykes.

We can’t risk even the slightest distraction to our team right now considering what’s on the line with our season.
Seems inappropriate to be distracting the team’s head coach with any discussion of this now. Seems bad messaging to the team. Suppose to be 100% focused on the immediate task at hand. Finishing an undefeated season and winning a Big XII championship trophy, rather than negotiating even more money for coach. 24/7.

Last edited:

Planks

Seems inappropriate to be distracting the team’s head coach with any discussion of this now. Suppose to be 100% focused on the task at hand. 24/7

But we don’t know if TCU and Dykes are actually in any discussions. This could be all made up.

Maybe Dykes looked over at what’s happening right now to Ole Miss/Lane Kiffin with the way rumors are damaging their season. Maybe Dykes went to TCU administration and said “Hey let’s just put out a story that we are working on an extension. I want any rumors that I could be leaving to be quashed before they even begin.”

Let’s not forget the Dykes to TCU rumors pretty much ruined the second half of SMU’s season last year. I’m sure Dykes is very aware the damage that distracting rumors can have on a team.

CountryFrog

Seems inappropriate to be distracting the team’s head coach with any discussion of this now. Seems bad messaging to the team. Suppose to be 100% focused on the immediate task at hand. Finishing an undefeated season and winning a Big XII championship trophy, rather than negotiating even more money for coach. 24/7.
Yes it's so distracting to Dykes to have to take 30 seconds out of his day to tell his agent "yes" or "no" to whatever offer his agent brings him. And I can't even imagine how terrible it must be for the players to know that they've played so well that their coach is going to get a new contract. Really terrible all the way around.

Eight

Yes it's so distracting to Dykes to have to take 30 seconds out of his day to tell his agent "yes" or "no" to whatever offer his agent brings him. And I can't even imagine how terrible it must be for the players to know that they've played so well that their coach is going to get a new contract. Really terrible all the way around.

of course you can't understand the need for absolute, total concentration. ......wouldn't expect anything else from a gourd lover and vanilla latte' drinker