• The KillerFrogs

Football piece in the Athletic

Wexahu

I'll add that my favorite thing about Doug is he plays to win. He has no layup in him and I love that.

If you go back and watch the stretch of 4 games Purdue through ISU last year, you will absolutely see that we weren't going to make a bowl and it had very little to do with Duggan. We weren't going to make a bowl because we were playing not to lose games. Protect the ball, grind it out and don't hurt anyone's feelings. Whoever's call that was, Sonny or GP, I don't know but we were just praying to win games. I know it was to protect Duggan but it was a terrible call on the staff's part. We weren't going to go take any "W"s from anyone.

DM's is going to mash the gas to a fault and honestly you need that to punch above your weight. Will it hurt every now an then?...Sure. Will it look sloppy some?..Yup. I'm not sold DMs scheme is all that great in 2020, but I'd rather lose games throwing punches than taking them. We were content just taking haymakers last year.

I understand your point, but when you're bad, you're bad.

I could just as easily argue that our philosophy last year kept us in games we'd have been blown out in otherwise. The whole operation stunk in about every way it could stink. I personally was not a huge fan of Meacham's offense (I hate schemes that are almost entirely reliant on going fast) and having Kill oversee two guys who I don't think share the same philosophies at all seems like a weird mix, but I hope for the best. I just hope GP's fear of unfamiliarity and the unknown in terms of who is around him doesn't prove to be his downfall as a coach, because if the offense doesn't make big strides this program isn't going anywhere.

Froggish

doug was at ok state from 2005-2012. dana was only at ok state in 2010.

True my mistake. We know DM was already an Air Raid guy before going to OSU and he has spoken about studying Mumme/Leach when he was a small college OC before OSU. He even mentioned hiring away a one of Leach's Grad assistant to better understand how they taught the system. DM has said that Holgy was really a catalyst for trying to get the run game going in the Air Raid.

jake102

I just hope GP's fear of unfamiliarity and the unknown in terms of who is around him .

2020 will be a defining year for GP and the program. Running it back while adding an old friend whose recent history has been awful/old offenses is a strange combo.

Basically banking on an exact repeat of 2013 to 2014 happening

Froggish

I understand your point, but when you're bad, you're bad.

I could just as easily argue that our philosophy last year kept us in games we'd have been blown out in otherwise. The whole operation stunk in about every way it could stink. I personally was not a huge fan of Meacham's offense (I hate schemes that are almost entirely reliant on going fast) and having Kill oversee two guys who I don't think share the same philosophies at all seems like a weird mix, but I hope for the best. I just hope GP's fear of unfamiliarity and the unknown in terms of who is around him doesn't prove to be his downfall as a coach, because if the offense doesn't make big strides this program isn't going anywhere.

That we can agree on. We were flat bad in all phases of the offensive game. But we had talent, so again I place that on the shoulders of our coaching staff.

As for DM, I cussed the TV pretty much all of 2016. I will say most would probably be shocked to know that we were in the top 45 in the country in TOP in both 2014 and 2015. It then falls to 98th in 2016. What that tells you is that DMs offense isn't any different than anyone elses in that it has to be efficient to be effective. We possessed it a lot in 14/15, we did not in 16. Scheme wise he relies heavily on short/intermediate passes to replace high number of runs and you got to complete a lot of those 4-6 yard routes.

In my opinion his offensive scheme isn't any more effective because he wants to go fast. In fact you could make the argument that its less effective. I studied games all the way back to his time at Houston and I can tell you 8 out of every 10 hyper speed jet sweep, bubble screen, or running back swing pass he ran gets blown up for a loss of yard.

All in all I think it can be an effective scheme as it does compromise defenders but I'd much rather him concentrate on getting multiple pre-snap than trying to catch someone sleeping with tempo.

Last edited:

Froggish

2020 will be a defining year for GP and the program. Running it back while adding an old friend whose recent history has been awful/old offenses is a strange combo.

Basically banking on an exact repeat of 2013 to 2014 happening

Unlike those years...He will have no element of surprise on his side. Everyone in the league is more than familiar with DM.

Eight

True my mistake. We know DM was already an Air Raid guy before going to OSU and he has spoken about studying Mumme/Leach when he was a small college OC before OSU. He even mentioned hiring away a one of Leach's Grad assistant to better understand how they taught the system. DM has said that Holgy was really a catalyst for trying to get the run game going in the Air Raid.

dana has been one of the few air raid guys who as continued to evolve his offense. lincoln as you pointed out is another.

defenses are no longer schematically over matched by the offense and i agree you have to make adjustments.

SuperBarrFrog

Afraid to ask, because when I asked about Gil's publication, somehow it fell off the face of the earth, but...

is the Athletic worth the cost? Seems like they write some really good sports coverage.

if you are only wanting TCU coverage then probably not. If you want a full array of the best journalism covering all college football and sports in general, then absolutely. The app is fantastic, as are the comment sections of the articles. Usually the wrote are of articles participate and answer questions in the comments. They usually offer free 30 day subscriptions and you can find passcodes for 40% off first year which makes it a couple bucks a month; no brainer for me.

MAcFroggy

Afraid to ask, because when I asked about Gil's publication, somehow it fell off the face of the earth, but...

is the Athletic worth the cost? Seems like they write some really good sports coverage.

The overall coverage for all sports is great. They have amazing national writers for MLB, NBA, and college football. They have great regional/team based writers for almost all of the sports. Their coverage of the DFW sports teams is pretty good. They are an amazing resource for Mavs and Cowboys content, while marginal for Rangers. It seems like they have good stars content, but I honestly do not really follow it all that much.

It is a few bucks a month, and in my opinion it is well worth it. They are building out their podcasting network and it is starting to get very strong on that front as well.

LeagueCityFrog

Reading this article... It sounds like we've fixed the offense issues with the coaching, ie Coach Kill and Meacham now back on the field, Cumbie up in the box. Coach P saying we are going to focus on what the offensive players do well. If Coach P knows the young running backs don't pass block well enough yet to protect Max then don't call plays that do that. #47 can more than handle himself blocking. Put him back there and call it good.

I liked everything that I read in this article. They know they have to develop the D Ends and a pass rush again and they have to solidify 8 solid offensive linemen and we are in business.

Go Frogs!

Last edited:

SuperBarrFrog

The overall coverage for all sports is great. They have amazing national writers for MLB, NBA, and college football. They have great regional/team based writers for almost all of the sports. Their coverage of the DFW sports teams is pretty good. They are an amazing resource for Mavs and Cowboys content, while marginal for Rangers. It seems like they have good stars content, but I honestly do not really follow it all that much.

It is a few bucks a month, and in my opinion it is well worth it. They are building out their podcasting network and it is starting to get very strong on that front as well.

live been checking out a bunch of their pods lately. Some really good content, including Mark Followill Mavs pod. If they ever add a TCU writer it would be the only sports page I ever read.

Moose Stuff

this is the concern when i hear doug talk about emphasizing execution and scheme and pointing to the pirate as a model offense

the strength of this offense looks to lie in the backs and there should be pieces for a solid offensive line.

will be interesting to see what changes and influences we see in the offense when the season comes to play

EAGBOD. You forgot that too. :)