• The KillerFrogs

Football piece in the Athletic

PhillyFrog

First I've read where it's confirmed Meach will be on the field and Sonny up in the box.

https://theathletic.com/1873222/202...edule-state-of-the-program/?source=dailyemail

TCU hopes its next wave can keep a dip from turning into something more dire

GettyImages-1190968750-1-1024x683.jpg

Gary Patterson kept himself busy during an offseason that was anything but ordinary by doing something that was, well, anything but ordinary.

TCU’s head coach recorded his very own album. Yes, really. He’d written some songs years ago, and with much more free time than normal this spring, he found someone to re-record the tracks and a way to put the whole thing together. It’s something he’d always wanted to do but never thought he’d have the time to make happen.

Eight

First I've read where it's confirmed Meach will be on the field and Sonny up in the box.

https://theathletic.com/1873222/202...edule-state-of-the-program/?source=dailyemail

Gary Patterson kept himself busy during an offseason that was anything but ordinary by doing something that was, well, anything but ordinary.

TCU’s head coach recorded his very own album. Yes, really. He’d written some songs years ago, and with much more free time than normal this spring, he found someone to re-record the tracks and a way to put the whole thing together. It’s something he’d always wanted to do but never thought he’d have the time to make happen.

reading that headline and the first two paragraphs i was damn sure you were mistaken and the article was from the atlantic

Froggish

I think this has been speculated for a while. The question that still remains, is how will the play calling duties be handled. Will it be one or the other or some version of both? All I can say is we can't go backwards and simply try and re-create the scheme Doug called in 2014. If there is one thing that is clear its that you have to change things up and learn to attack differently year over year. Not change your whole concepts but present them to defenses in shrouded ways.

I think DM is a play calling and scheme upgrade over SC for sure but if you watch film from TCU 2014 and Kansas 2017, you'll find DM didn't change a thing about his approach or scheme. You combine that with the overall lack of talent he had to work with and it's no wonder why he failed there. This season will be interesting to watch. GPs reputation nationally is that he's on the decline. He needs some help form that Off staff. The B12 has become top to bottom very solid and tough week to week. GP's talents can't cover up his Off staff ineptness any longer.

Eight

I think this has been speculated for a while. The question that still remains, is how will the play calling duties be handled. Will it be one or the other or some version of both? All I can say is we can't go backwards and simply try and re-create the scheme Doug called in 2014. If there is one thing that is clear its that you have to change things up and learn to attack differently year over year. Not change your whole concepts but present them to defenses in shrouded ways.

I think DM is a play calling and scheme upgrade over SC for sure but if you watch film from TCU 2014 and Kansas 2017, you'll find DM didn't change a thing about his approach or scheme. You combine that with the overall lack of talent he had to work with and it's no wonder why he failed there. This season will be interesting to watch. GPs reputation nationally is that he's on the decline. He needs some help form that Off staff. The B12 has become top to bottom very solid and tough week to week. GP's talents can't cover up his Off staff ineptness any longer.

this is the concern when i hear doug talk about emphasizing execution and scheme and pointing to the pirate as a model offense

the strength of this offense looks to lie in the backs and there should be pieces for a solid offensive line.

will be interesting to see what changes and influences we see in the offense when the season comes to play

Froggish

this is the concern when i hear doug talk about emphasizing execution and scheme and pointing to the pirate as a model offense

the strength of this offense looks to lie in the backs and there should be pieces for a solid offensive line.

will be interesting to see what changes and influences we see in the offense when the season comes to play

No doubt....He definitely has that pirate mentality..."My whole playbook is written on toilet paper", which I don't have a problem with BUT the difference between the Pirate and Doug is that the Pirate rarely fails to develop a QB that works for his system.

We have the RBs and we need to utilize them. The only natural thing is to consider more OU 2 back model which I don't recall ever seeing out of DM. If he's in 21 personnel, its almost always with an H-Back or out of the Holgy diamond.

I always think back to Lincoln being interviewed and talking about how his scheme never changes but his looks change yearly based on his personnel strengths and the weaknesses he observes in the defense. He essentially saying my QB keys/reads are always going to be the same I just need to use multiples to disguise them and expose what the defense is going to do. Its smart.

Frog-in-law1995

No doubt....He definitely has that pirate mentality..."My whole playbook is written on toilet paper", which I don't have a problem with BUT the difference between the Pirate and Doug is that the Pirate rarely fails to develop a QB that works for his system.

When did Doug not develop a QB that works in his system? Kansas? Hard to fault anybody for not being able to turn that around in one season.

Eight

We have the RBs and we need to utilize them. The only natural thing is to consider more OU 2 back model which I don't recall ever seeing out of DM. If he's in 21 personnel, its almost always with an H-Back or out of the Holgy diamond.

I always think back to Lincoln being interviewed and talking about how his scheme never changes but his looks change yearly based on his personnel strengths and the weaknesses he observes in the defense. He essentially saying my QB keys/reads are always going to be the same I just need to use multiples to disguise them and expose what the defense is going to do. Its smart.

which is one reason lincoln has had success with multiple quarterbacks with different skill sets

the other big key for ou that for some reason continually gets overlooked is their run game. it simply isn't the same run game as the pirate and has actually been the one consistent staple that forces defenses to choose do you drop back for the pass or focus on the run.

ou has an offensive identity and they dictate to the defense. the key to stop the pirate has been a defense taking away his run game with minimal defense commitment and then focus on the passing game. jimmy lake owned leach regardless of the level of talent he had at uw because he dictated the game to the pirate

Froggish

I'll add that my favorite thing about Doug is he plays to win. He has no layup in him and I love that.

If you go back and watch the stretch of 4 games Purdue through ISU last year, you will absolutely see that we weren't going to make a bowl and it had very little to do with Duggan. We weren't going to make a bowl because we were playing not to lose games. Protect the ball, grind it out and don't hurt anyone's feelings. Whoever's call that was, Sonny or GP, I don't know but we were just praying to win games. I know it was to protect Duggan but it was a terrible call on the staff's part. We weren't going to go take any "W"s from anyone.

DM's is going to mash the gas to a fault and honestly you need that to punch above your weight. Will it hurt every now an then?...Sure. Will it look sloppy some?..Yup. I'm not sold DMs scheme is all that great in 2020, but I'd rather lose games throwing punches than taking them. We were content just taking haymakers last year.

Froggish

which is one reason lincoln has had success with multiple quarterbacks with different skill sets

the other big key for ou that for some reason continually gets overlooked is their run game. it simply isn't the same run game as the pirate and has actually been the one consistent staple that forces defenses to choose do you drop back for the pass or focus on the run.

ou has an offensive identity and they dictate to the defense. the key to stop the pirate has been a defense taking away his run game with minimal defense commitment and then focus on the passing game. jimmy lake owned leach regardless of the level of talent he had at uw because he dictated the game to the pirate

Your dead on...The Pirate has very little use for the run game. The guy who is really credited with emphasizing the run game in the air raid was Holgerson when he was at OSU. Riley was at TT with Leach and Holgy. When Holgy when to OSU he hired DM on staff with him. A lot of what Riley does is a strange mash up of Leach and Holgy.

Mean Purple

But the rcvrs still have to execute routes and handle the timing to break off. it draws the secondary, etc. that helps the backs, obviously. the past two years there were too many times where guys just didn't run their routes well. it happens, but if it happens a too much, nightmare. plus, obviously, qb needs to feel like they are going to be there.

Eight

Your dead on...The Pirate has very little use for the run game. The guy who is really credited with emphasizing the run game in the air raid was Holgerson when he was at OSU. Riley was at TT with Leach and Holgy. When Holgy when to OSU he hired DM on staff with him. A lot of what Riley does is a strange mash up of Leach and Holgy.

doug was at ok state from 2005-2012. dana was only at ok state in 2010.

Eight

But the rcvrs still have to execute routes and handle the timing to break off. it draws the secondary, etc. that helps the backs, obviously. the past two years there were too many times where guys just didn't run their routes well. it happens, but if it happens a too much, nightmare. plus, obviously, qb needs to feel like they are going to be there.

agreed, the entire offense is built on execution and timing.

two things i wouldn't say have been hallmarks in a few years.

Mean Purple

Afraid to ask, because when I asked about Gil's publication, somehow it fell off the face of the earth, but...

is the Athletic worth the cost? Seems like they write some really good sports coverage.