• The KillerFrogs

Football divisions in the new Big 12

BABYFACE

SEC has a business model that works for them. We should do the same, which doesn't mean replicate what works for them, but does mean determine what works most to TCU's advantage and implement that. Ultimately this isn't about sports, it's about the entertainment business.
Agree, just taking a shot at them. In a particular year, an SEC team in the running might be able to avoid some of the better teams that season depending on their schedule, while at the same time they get credit for playing a tough schedule.

Yes, the Big 12 needs to what is best for maximizing TV dollars.

Long Time Fan

Long Time Fan
Yeah, this is another option and a good one at that. Interesting in that it puts 3 founding members, 1 2012 expansion member and 2 2023 expansion members in each division.

Similar to my own note on the north/south option described above, I just don’t think they’ll put all 4 Texas schools in one division. Which is why I think in the end they take the above and swap 2 Texas schools for the Kansas schools.

That said, you can technically build an 8 game conference schedule rotation with 12 teams (like the old Big 12) where even those East teams get one Texas team home and away each year (play 5 East division games plus 3 of the 6 West teams). So if the members want it, I think there are arguments to make your or the north/south divisions work. I’m skeptical KU, Kstate, and Iowa State will be too pleased with this though. They need the Texas recruiting pipeline help as much as they can get it.

I think the only real decision on divisions will be: are all the Texas schools in the same division. I really hope not. It loads the West division too much, plus makes the division very Texascenntric. I think a national conference means more national matchups. I like UH in the East with a permanent cross over with one of the other Texas teams. But ultimately, I really want what is best for the conference as a whole.

Go Frogs!

OmniscienceFrog

No way in heck if we add a 4th game it's going to a top tier P5. It'll be some bottom feeder team. 8 conference games forces coaches to play another competitive game. You give them any rope, they'll take it.

Honest question.....quite a few programs don't play FCS games (or VERY rarely do). Texas, OU, Stanford, USC, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan. Why do you think that is?
Let's see what OU and Texas do once they join the SEC. And no Ohio St and Michigan don't schedule FCS teams, they just schedule low level MAC teams, which isn't a whole lot different.

Last edited: