• The KillerFrogs

FIRE PATTERSON

Fiscuits

To me it’s crazy to think that Baylor, who had arguably one of the greatest setbacks to a program you can have, managed to to enter the Big12 Championship game more recently and performed much better than we have. They could’ve beaten OU where we simply got blown out.. It’s crazy what a new coach can do for a program.

Exactly this. We are too scared to think of 'change' let alone to do it. And because of that, Patterson has become bigger than the program itself. Which is dangerous. Has nothing to do with his qualities as a person or coach.

Using Baylor as an example (and a great one) they fired their greatest coach in school history, amid one of the biggest scandals in CFB history, received the 'walking death penalty' and are already in better shape than we are with the 2nd longest tenured coach currently in CFB.

Change is not bad especially when warranted. Coach P's tenure is so much of an exception to the rule that it has become a hinderance.

If you can not see that it is time for a change in TCU Football's coaching staff - you are wearing the most purple colored of glasses.

CountryFrog

I understand why people are pissed but holding up the one good year that Baylor has had in the last 4 as a reason why is so incredibly stupid. Especially since we looked like the better team last year in that game.

G Mother Froggen P

I understand why people are pissed but holding up the one good year that Baylor has had in the last 4 as a reason why is so incredibly stupid. Especially since we looked like the better team last year in that game.
Last year we lost that game, so doesn’t necessarily matter how you look. There are other case studies out there, aside from Baylor. But they did produce multiple winning seasons under their coaching change while showing future promise. I know I’m beating a dead horse here, but I’m just frustrated with perennial mediocrity. TCU has so many things going for it. Clemson has proven an unconventional blue blood can build a sustainable winning program, and I’d start there with copying their success.

CountryFrog

Last year we lost that game, so doesn’t necessarily matter how you look. There are other case studies out there, aside from Baylor. But they did produce multiple winning seasons under their coaching change while showing future promise. I know I’m beating a dead horse here, but I’m just frustrated with perennial mediocrity. TCU has so many things going for it. Clemson has proven an unconventional blue blood can build a sustainable winning program, and I’d start there with copying their success.
Oh you'd start with copying Clemson huh? I'm sure there's no one else out there who's had that idea.

Eight

why do so many people think clemson just came out of nowhere with their program?

Portland Frog

"Be careful what you wish for" is a tired mantra regarding this topic given the past 3 years and the writing as fans we see on the wall. I don't have the answers, and we certainly don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but the eyeball test is clear and visible to anyone who watches the games. There's no way to spin the results and what we continue to see.

Last edited:

tmcats

perspective from outside: you guys are bat-shiz-crazy calling for gary to leave. your football program would become the equivalent of jamie basketball.

gary patterson has proven to be an elite head coach. his record is clear. he's a great face and voice for the program. his results have given you a beautiful stadium and continue to bring in top-level talent.

the problem here is fans having unrealistic expectations. it reminds me of bill snyder when he didn't win 9, 10, or 11. sadly, we didn't get gary patterson, we got ron prince.

there, i feel better. #emaw

Fiscuits

Not using Baylor's one good year, just showing that they had a worse case scenario and bounced 100% back.

TCU and Patterson could/should work together to plan his phase out (like Stoops). Maybe they are. Don't know.

However - the program is not even a middle of the pack conference program any longer. Not my opinion, it's fact. Look at the record.

If TCU athletics is comfortable with that it's their right to do so. However, already dwindling attendance and interest set in two years ago. We've become complacent and scared to change the bell cow. And it's not good business practice. In my opinion, obviously.

dawg

why do so many people think clemson just came out of nowhere with their program?

This. Yes, Dabo took them to the next level, but Clemson was solid program. Four losing seasons since 1980 (three of which were one game under 0.500), a MNC in 1981, and it's a state school with a large, rabid, and diehard fanbase with access to Fla and Ga recruiting. Dabo just woke up the giant.

Last edited:

Eight

perspective from outside: you guys are bat-shiz-crazy calling for gary to leave. your football program would become the equivalent of jamie basketball.

gary patterson has proven to be an elite head coach. his record is clear. he's a great face and voice for the program. his results have given you a beautiful stadium and continue to bring in top-level talent.

the problem here is fans having unrealistic expectations. it reminds me of bill snyder when he didn't win 9, 10, or 11. sadly, we didn't get gary patterson, we got ron prince.

there, i feel better. #emaw

so you are saying that kstate was wrong in getting rid of snyder the second time?

seems you are batting 0.500 in hc selection and who recommended prince for the job?

tmcats

so you are saying that kstate was wrong in getting rid of snyder the second time?

seems you are batting 0.500 in hc selection and who recommended prince for the job?

bill was 78 when he left the second time. gary is 60. he's in his prime as a coach. at that age, bill snyder had michael bishop at qb and made a run for the national championship.

and who is going to take the tcu job if you run coach patterson, another matt wells, les miles, or neal brown. do you really think that improves the program? goodness.

ku fired mark mangino and never recovered from it. tom herman and charlie strong never sniffed what mack brown brought texas.

Last edited:

bronco

bill was 78 when he left the second time. gary is 60. he's in his prime as a coach. at that age, bill snyder had michael bishop at qb and made a run for the national championship.

and who is going to take the tcu job if you run coach patterson, another matt wells, les miles, or neal brown. do you really think that improves the program? goodness.

ku fired mark mangino and never recovered from it. tom herman and charlie strong never sniffed what mack brown brought texas.
I agree although hard to watch. Mostly because the offense has been so unproductive for so long. The TCU offense died sometime in the third quarter of the Ohio State game and hasn't been see since ( a few flashes but nothing sustained). If it weren't for Reagor and Olana... we would be staring at three losing seasons in a row.

G Mother Froggen P

Oh you'd start with copying Clemson huh? I'm sure there's no one else out there who's had that idea.
My point is simply that we should want/expect to be competitive year in and year out.. To be content with one decent season every five years is pretty sad. I hear the blue blood excuse all the time, and I point to Clemson in that they’re having tremendous success being an untraditional program.

It’s like there’s a mental block as tcu fans to expect our program to be consistently good. It takes time but we can build on GP’s momentum to take the next step imo.

Interesting read below.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-ri...how-clemson-competes-with-alabama-11546785398

hiphopfroggy

Fire everyone involved with the offense first. If TCU still sucks 3 years into that then perhaps it would be time for Gary to go.

Either way put the statue in storage until he is done.

Pharm Frog

My point is simply that we should want/expect to be competitive year in and year out.. To be content with one decent season every five years is pretty sad. I hear the blue blood excuse all the time, and I point to Clemson in that they’re having tremendous success being an untraditional program.

It’s like there’s a mental block as tcu fans to expect our program to be consistently good. It takes time but we can build on GP’s momentum to take the next step imo.

Interesting read below.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-ri...how-clemson-competes-with-alabama-11546785398

TCU is competitive year in and year out. That appears to be the vision of the program. Be competitive.

Eight

you said all you needed to say when you said gary was in his prime.

OmniscienceFrog

Interesting point to consider. Most here don't seem to have much regard for Donati either, so who do you want, or think, is going to search out and hire a new head coach?

Pharm Frog

Interesting point to consider. Most here don't seem to have much regard for Donati either, so who do you want, or think, is going to search out and hire a new head coach?

I agree with this. Both need to go. And no...GP should not be retained ceremonially after his departure. Someone needs to come in and set a refreshed vision of how and where to take the athletic programs. Continuity had its place but there needs to be a lift.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Unbelievable that this is actually your thought process. I see TCU as a prime job not just because I’m an alum but due to the fact that the pressure of the spotlight like a program such as Texas is off you. You will be financially rewarded as is Gary who is one of the top ten highest paid in the sport. Absolutely mind blowing you would compare us to kansas, is this a sick joke?

Positives for TCU
Loyalty
State of the art brand new facilities
Laidback atmosphere
High financial compensation
Ability to charter own path
Big 12

Cons
Small school
Not a top caliber name
Recruiting? Idk about this one seems like we can mix in a lot of talented players when times are good - top 25 classes

Why does everyone think the sky is falling? Gary helped build this program with his wins and the help of donors. He is not this program and it will go on long after he is gone just as he wasn’t responsible for Sammy Baugh and obrien. If we have someone capable leading the search and throwing out large contracts I think the pros far outweigh the cons here.