• The KillerFrogs

Fire Gary

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I was referring to Dalton. Love him but there is a difference between playing and coaching. How many great coaches were great players? This is a desperation move. The only time I’ve seen the pro athlete with no coaching experience to college head coach experiment was when UH hired Clyde Drexler as head coach basketball. It was a monumental clusterscheiss. Dalton as assistant? Absolutely..
IMHO, Dalton would make a fine coach because he has had to work at his skills to become what he is, as opposed to a truly athletically gifted player. He possesses a tough work ethic, and has good (if not excellent) leadership skills.

OTOH, there was the Jim Shofner experiment. I wonder how Philip Rivers is doing at his H.S. Coaching gig?

Anyway, Dalton would be an excellent QB Coach at the very least.

JugbandFrog

IMHO, Dalton would make a fine coach because he has had to work at his skills to become what he is, as opposed to a truly athletically gifted player. He possesses a tough work ethic, and has good (if not excellent) leadership skills.

OTOH, there was the Jim Shofner experiment. I wonder how Philip Rivers is doing at his H.S. Coaching gig?

Problem with Dalton is thst he just doesn’t seem to inspire people.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Problem with Dalton is thst he just doesn’t seem to inspire people.
I watched Pat Sullivan speak a few times. Great speaker! Very inspirational. Not a terribly good coach during his tenure here... Jim Wacker, OTOH, would have people running through brick walls for him.

I have never watched Dalton speak publicly, so I cannot gauge his level of inspiration, or his ability to motivate on an individual level.

vicarfrog

With the voice of Bane: "So...you think Boschimi and Donati can find someone better than Patterson? You fight like a young man.... admirable...but foolish." *CRACK*!

Eight

With the voice of Bane: "So...you think Boschimi and Donati can find someone better than Patterson? You fight like a young man.... admirable...but foolish." *CRACK*!

hmmm...so is this a defense of gary or an indictment on the abilities of vic and jeremiah to make the proper choices?

vicarfrog

hmmm...so is this a defense of gary or an indictment on the abilities of vic and jeremiah to make the proper choices?

Less of a defense of Gary and more of the reality of current leadership.

Something absolutely is off. I just don't know if firing Gary fixes the problem or creates a hellish carousel nightmare that brings me back to my days as a kid in the early 90s. I used to run around the stadium and explore. Why? Because there was like 12,000 people.

Last edited:

Dogfrog

Shofner was a well established NFL coach for about 29 years. Before and after his TCU head coach stint. His three years at TCU were a catastrophe. The college game (recruiting, etc). We’re not for him. As I mentioned I think Dalton would be a very good assistant - qb coach, with potential to be an OC some day. The reference was regarding immediate replacements at head coach.

nrhfrog

1. VB and JD show now signs of having the guts to fire Gary or even hold him in any way accountable for his .500 record, so there will be no changes made at the top.
2. Gary ain't gonna give up $6million/year. His coaching career is over after this gig is up. So he will ride it all the way to the end. Gary is all about Gary now. I don't hate Gary. I appreciate everything he has done for us...for which he was paid handsomely. The Rose Bowl and Peach Bowl memories will always be awesome. That said, he has become a grumpy old coach who is stuck in the past and it doesn't work anymore. I wish he were noble enough to go to VB and work out a retirement package, but I doubt that will happen.
3. Some day we will get a new coach....unfortunately not soon enough for all of us. When that time arrives.....NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, hire an alum for the head coach again. We learned it the hard way with Shofner in the 70's and now with Dixon for the basketball team. Everyone knows it is a disaster, but no one can gut it up and force a change. I totally get it....these are fellow Frogs and good people. We don't like to see good people or Frogs get hurt. Therefore, DO NOT HIRE ALUMS. It's a double loss when they don't work out....and everyone gets hurt.

The irony of all of this: if Gary had not proven that you can create a winning team at TCU, we wouldn't all be so upset. He raised the standard, but he can no longer meet that standard.

Froggy Style

Well said NRH. Only thing I would add is that you actually have to do it now. You can bet ESPN has been gaming this out for a few years down the road (expected Gary retirement) for consolidation. Make a quick switch to a Matt Campbell type hire and keep the program relevant. If we wait, then we're dooming ourselves to be stuck on the outside when ESPN says go to the Pac12 & Big10 (or whatever they call themselves).

Froggy Style

What? LOL.
You may have missed them plucking our conferences apart at each turn. Their goal is clearly to bump off schools that don't have the number of eyeballs...and the way to do it is make sure you kill off the small schools is to do it when we're not good or are in turmoil with Patterson retiring.

If that's LOL to you, then you're not paying attention...now say something witty about your buckeyes.

PO Frog

I want to see the rest of the season. That said if he loses to UT, OU, ISU, WVU and KSU en route to a 6-6 season he should definitely retire. The game appears to have passed the 4-2-5 and angry screamy cursing coach by.
Here’s me saying we need to make a change because we are poorly prepared and look poorly coached…three years ago. Every off-season we all forget that GP is past his prime.