• The KillerFrogs

Finally! I have the 1939 Sugar Bowl Program scanned...

WhatTheFrog

Is there a preferred place to upload it to so that everyone can check it out? I have it in page-numerical order. This is purely for each of your enjoyment. I enjoy sharing it with each of you so that you can check it out at your leisure. Hopefully, you'll find some enjoyment out of it. These are old days (some of you might recognize some of the ads or players). You can print each page and make a homemade program out of it if you want.

I offered it to Larry at Fort Worth Memories (if any of you are familiar with that FB group) on indefinite loan, but he shot me down. I don't want to give it to anyone that may sell it later on. This is for everyone's enjoyment as far as I'm concerned.

After I learn of a good place to upload it for everyone, it'll be there for you. Enjoy!

Try this link...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/psbp0dfvbxtk9zq/program.pdf?dl=0

If it doesn't work, let me know. I'll keep trying to share it out to all of you. Please, don't hammer me if the link doesn't work right away! Thanks!

Edit: Changed the title to reflect that this was the 1939 Sugar Bowl (Jan 2) in which the 1938 TCU football team competed in. Still, this was one of our championship teams and the year that our own O'Brien won the Heisman.

Last edited:

Bob

Coca Cola- every bottle sterilized!!

Good to know they started cleaning the bottles.
I remember us taking pop bottles back for the deposit money. We kept them outside until returning them and I always wondered how they got those pesky flies out of the bottles before refilling them.

stbrab

Is there a preferred place to upload it to so that everyone can check it out? I have it in page-numerical order. This is purely for each of your enjoyment. I enjoy sharing it with each of you so that you can check it out at your leisure. Hopefully, you'll find some enjoyment out of it. These are old days (some of you might recognize some of the ads or players). You can print each page and make a homemade program out of it if you want.

I offered it to Larry at Fort Worth Memories (if any of you are familiar with that FB group) on indefinite loan, but he shot me down. I don't want to give it to anyone that may sell it later on. This is for everyone's enjoyment as far as I'm concerned.

After I learn of a good place to upload it for everyone, it'll be there for you. Enjoy!

Try this link...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/psbp0dfvbxtk9zq/program.pdf?dl=0

If it doesn't work, let me know. I'll keep trying to share it out to all of you. Please, don't hammer me if the link doesn't work right away! Thanks!

Edit: Changed the title to reflect that this was the 1939 Sugar Bowl (Jan 2) in which the 1938 TCU football team competed in. Still, this was one of our championship teams and the year that our own O'Brien won the Heisman.
Thanks for sharing this...it's fascinating. The ads and style of writing...a lot has changed. Love the description on Forrest (Bushes) Kline, the heaviest man on the Christian squad, weighing almost an eighth of a ton at 248 pounds.

Leap Frog

Thanks for the great post, good job and the Coke bottle story brought back many memories.
As a poor kid, I had to make my own spending money, so the bottles, metal coat hangers and scrap metal worked for me.
When the Frogs had a home game, I cashed in, made a stop at Rockyfeller Hamburgers, and walked west on Magnolia.
Cost me 35 cents to sit on the grassy knoll, but I was rich with a couple of bucks in my pocket.
Thanks again for making my day, those were great days to be a Frog urchin.

Last edited:

WhatTheFrog

Profanity filter strikes again?
Maybe he used my initials. Even saying the first two with “Frog” at the end is considered a profanity, I think. No matter, when someone says my name, it’s usually in a profane way. ;D

I guess I’m just a poo hole. I work for some and not for others. I’m good with that. I’ve never felt that way with those here that I’ve met in person, but I’m not judgmental that way. I’m good with almost everyone, except for the one that didn’t meet me at the Kroger parking lot a while back. He wasted my time! LOL

Last edited: