• The KillerFrogs

Fan Nation: Player Spotlight: Antonio Ortiz, TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Player Spotlight: Antonio Ortiz, TCU​

antonio-ortiz.webp

Meet the four-year starter with 44 games of experience, TCU long snapper Antonio Ortiz is considered to be one of the premier long snapper prospects in the nation.
A four-year starter with 44 games of experience, TCU long snapper Antonio Ortiz is considered to be one of the premier long snapper prospects in the nation. The Virginia native was a three-time First-Team Academic All-Big 12 recipient and semifinalist for the Patrick Mannelly Award, presented to the best FBS senior long snapper. The NFL Draft Bible recently had a chance to connect with Ortiz prior to his participation in the Hula Bowl and NFLPA Collegiate Bowl in January.

Read more at https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft/player-spotlight-antonio-ortiz-tcu

Limp Lizard

That is a good living, I guess. What does a snapper make in the NFL? Probably not close to starter money and certainly not promotion/endorsement money. But still way above average when compared to other ways of making a living. Anyone know what they make? And they should have a long career, since they participate on only a fraction of the plays.

Chico Dusty

That is a good living, I guess. What does a snapper make in the NFL? Probably not close to starter money and certainly not promotion/endorsement money. But still way above average when compared to other ways of making a living. Anyone know what they make? And they should have a long career, since they participate on only a fraction of the plays.

About 1.2MM a year. I knew a guy that was a one in the league for a while. Great living.

Limp Lizard

So 700K+ per year for 10-15 plays per game, most not as physical as regular scrimmage plays or as long lasting. The biggest threat to his health is probably during coverage: one good clip below the waist could tear up a knee. A true skill that pays off. If everyone could do it at a high level it would not be a big thing. But there is obviously a unique skill there.

Wexahu

So 700K+ per year for 10-15 plays per game, most not as physical as regular scrimmage plays or as long lasting. The biggest threat to his health is probably during coverage: one good clip below the waist could tear up a knee. A true skill that pays off. If everyone could do it at a high level it would not be a big thing. But there is obviously a unique skill there.
I don’t think they let defenders really even engage on the snapper anymore. Unless there’s a broken play or something it’s practically a no contact position.

Amazing job if you can get it, but you almost have to be perfect. They don’t put up with less than perfection long at all.

Edit: I guess you have to tackle on punts but they won’t cut a guy for not tackling.