• The KillerFrogs

Fan Nation: Ex TCU Coach Gary Patterson Has Been Hired By Texas

geefrogs

Good point. Did Kelsey go to UT?

IF GP was here next season, I have no doubt that we would beat Dykes and SMU. Had we not fired him, I have no doubt we would have gone to a bowl game. Firing him was a bad idea. Donati will be gone in few years.

Is this a GP burner account?

Mean Purple

He sucked butt the last 3 years. Just like Texas coaches have been for the last 15 years.
and we hired a guy passed over by Tech. Sark's offense was impressive. That defensive coordinator there is in over his head and everybody knows it. Would have been bad enough for us if GP was an analyst there. But it looks that he is actually on staff in an on field coach type deal.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Good point. Did Kelsey go to UT?

IF GP was here next season, I have no doubt that we would beat Dykes and SMU. Had we not fired him, I have no doubt we would have gone to a bowl game. Firing him was a bad idea. Donati will be gone in few years.
About Kelsey, I honestly don't know.

As to GP, my belief is that he had lost the locker room. Beating SMU is no great thing, it is what we expect a P5 Program with a winning coach to do. Putting such a thing on a pedestal is sort of the issue: How badly have we fallen? And, more to the point, why? How could a program like SMU come in to ACS twice running and pull GP's drawers up over his head? All the other games aside, those two losses in '19 and '21 were crushing to both team morale and to GP's aura of respect.

No one with an ounce of sense discounts GP's mastery of the game. But, that is only a part of the job of a Head Coach. The rest of the aspects of the job he was evidently failing. As I was not there, nor was I any part of the deliberations of Should He Stay, or Should He Go. My status within the TCU pecking order is about the level of a paramecium, thus I am not privy to such details. But, I can read between the lines of what is commonly available and make judgements, and with some small hindsight provided by time recognize that he had run his course at TCU.

FrogBall09

About Kelsey, I honestly don't know.

As to GP, my belief is that he had lost the locker room. Beating SMU is no great thing, it is what we expect a P5 Program with a winning coach to do. Putting such a thing on a pedestal is sort of the issue: How badly have we fallen? And, more to the point, why? How could a program like SMU come in to ACS twice running and pull GP's drawers up over his head? All the other games aside, those two losses in '19 and '21 were crushing to both team morale and to GP's aura of respect.

No one with an ounce of sense discounts GP's mastery of the game. But, that is only a part of the job of a Head Coach. The rest of the aspects of the job he was evidently failing. As I was not there, nor was I any part of the deliberations of Should He Stay, or Should He Go. My status within the TCU pecking order is about the level of a paramecium, thus I am not privy to such details. But, I can read between the lines of what is commonly available and make judgements, and with some small hindsight provided by time recognize that he had run his course at TCU.
Wait - you spout all this crap like you have in depth understanding of GP, his thoughts, what happened before and during his firing - but you don’t even know him well enough to know that Kelsey is a UT grad, that she was an athlete at Texas and that she worked in the AD department before she met Gary?

I guess Texas should have banned her for life when she married a Frog and became our team mom….

Eight

Chip makes a great point, TCU ran it's best coach in history out of town. Can't be upset that Texas was smart enough to hire the man who was 7 - 3 against them.

not sure i have ever read , great point by chip who is considered a hack by much of austin

gary is free to do what he wants and it will be curious exactly what his role with be in austin

tetonfrog

Why would GP and TCU beat SMU next year? Why would you have any confidence that this team would be better next year? Most of our players regressed this year. Why would they grow up quick for 2022?

GP was pissed as hell at the Ponies this year and his D absolutely got roasted by Dykes, SMU and pretty much everyone else on our schedule this year. I understand and respect your devotion to GP, but he lost more games than he won the last 4 years. How was that going to change next year? Did he have some highly-rated defensive recruits coming in from high school or the portal? How about in the OL?

I will always love GP and his accomplishments here are legendary. But even he was not talented enough to cover up the weaknesses of his coaching staff. Meach, Anderson, Hill, Sharp, Fitz and Glasgow were the anchor that sunk the GP ship. Our program was drowning this year. How were they going to bring the ship back up? The realistic answer is they were not going to and we were headed to another losing season next year.

I wish GP and Kelsey well, but I hope UT is a disaster again. I still believe Sark won't survive a 2-3 or 1-4 start and CDC will make GP the interim coach. When the Frogs visit UT, I hope Sonny and our Frogs put 50 on the GPHorns.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Wait - you spout all this crap like you have in depth understanding of GP, his thoughts, what happened before and during his firing - but you don’t even know him well enough to know that Kelsey is a UT grad, that she was an athlete at Texas and that she worked in the AD department before she met Gary?

I guess Texas should have banned her for life when she married a Frog and became our team mom….
My goodness! Aren't we touchy!

MTfrog5

and we hired a guy passed over by Tech. Sark's offense was impressive. That defensive coordinator there is in over his head and everybody knows it. Would have been bad enough for us if GP was an analyst there. But it looks that he is actually on staff in an on field coach type deal.
Tech didn’t pass on Dykes. Dykes wanted TCU and he knew it would be coming open. GP is 100% and analyst. Don’t get blinded by the ego fitting title.

Mean Purple

Why would GP and TCU beat SMU next year? Why would you have any confidence that this team would be better next year? Most of our players regressed this year. Why would they grow up quick for 2022?

GP was pissed as hell at the Ponies this year and his D absolutely got roasted by Dykes, SMU and pretty much everyone else on our schedule this year. I understand and respect your devotion to GP, but he lost more games than he won the last 4 years. How was that going to change next year? Did he have some highly-rated defensive recruits coming in from high school or the portal? How about in the OL?

I will always love GP and his accomplishments here are legendary. But even he was not talented enough to cover up the weaknesses of his coaching staff. Meach, Anderson, Hill, Sharp, Fitz and Glasgow were the anchor that sunk the GP ship. Our program was drowning this year. How were they going to bring the ship back up? The realistic answer is they were not going to and we were headed to another losing season next year.

I wish GP and Kelsey well, but I hope UT is a disaster again. I still believe Sark won't survive a 2-3 or 1-4 start and CDC will make GP the interim coach. When the Frogs visit UT, I hope Sonny and our Frogs put 50 on the GPHorns.
Safety experience for one.
Having certain players more healthy, another.

CryptoMiner

A shell of his former self...
FJu5XOGUcAIgREF

Toad Jones

I think his feelings towards TCU were/are probably stronger than mine and many people on here. That's why I think this move doesn't make sense.

Long term-I feel a year away would have made more sense but he can make his own decisions and I will look forward to us lighting up his ass in November.
It should come as no surprise but Gary's thought process, is rooted from his father who like GP, worked on a farm from sundown to sunup. I would have liked Gary to give his thoughts a chance to settle a bit before embarking on a new job, but. Pride is one of the reasons he took the job with UT and one of the other was his age. Meaning if the opportunity came along with the right position, why shouldn't I accept. The mind, the will. the opportunity doesn't come busting down doors as a fired HC at 63. But more than all of his, his pride was the main factor. Those of U in this station of life know exactly what I'm saying. No matter what happens folks, he will always have a soft for TCU.