• The KillerFrogs

Fan Nation: Ex TCU Coach Gary Patterson Has Been Hired By Texas

KTown Frog

I can see Patterson just wanting to focus on x’s and o’s at the Texas flagship blue blood—a challenge for his coaching chops and also time and opportunity to learn and stretch. Might be the best situation for him--revive the Texas Longhorns and its defense, after their long demise, and he will get credit for both. He bring his statue to that program and players recognize and may respond to that. If he stays beyond a year, it might be his best opportunity to win a National Championship, and doing so on a team that was in its darkest hole when he came aboard. Name a better spot. And Austin is good digs too.
FIFY

FrogBall09

Since 2018 many TCU fans had the impression he quit working (but was making music), the players and loyalists caught up to him in 2021.
no one who actually knows anything about what really happens thinks he quit working - so that is just stupid. He was putting in as many hours as ever because we were losing and he obviously couldn't figure out why.

And he has always played music and wrote songs - do people not remember when he played on stage for the crowd in the parking several years ago? The stories about how has been playing on stage with Neuheisel at the AFCA event for over a decade are pretty well known. He played at the pickers event with Pat Green a few years ago. Why wasn't everyone so worried about the time he spent on his "hobby" back then? because we were winning.

The combination of his myopic focus on speed over size because of the 61-58 game, a simultaneous and extremely quick change in direction of almost the entire B12 to better defense, size and more balanced attacks on offense, and the restrictions put in program place because of bs lawsuits on injuries and the requirement to step back on "discipline" after the n-work incident combined with his belief his way was the best way and no interest to have fresh outside perspectives to adapt to these other changes are what cost him his job.

Not because he wasn't "working"

4 Oaks Frog

How about a caption for this one:

R.f800fb7b3c61d41f78bd134e44aa6494
How about this one…
“Was not fired mid-season. Frogs did not dump him, he dumped the Frogs. scheiss him.”
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor!!

Bruce Berry

He coached at what 8-9 schools in his career? Working for his old boss? Making 7 digits to watch film and give his opinion?

I bet he gets over it….

Played golf with Gary Darnell one time and asked him what it was like to be the Asst HC/DC at Texas and then later become the DC/interim HC (even if just for the bowl game) at Aggy

He said coaches know what they are getting themselves into when they select the career - fan loyalty is a mirage that arrives with wins and leaves with losses

Only thing real is the players, the love of the game and finding a way to take of your family

Ever wonder why you see baseball players from opposing teams talk to each on the base paths? Or why “opponents” seek out other players after the game?

Played a lot games at TCU against guys I had played with from as early as 6 years old - didn’t start hating a friend because he wore the wrong uniform

but fans think it’s the end of the world

TCU would have the same significance to him as the other schools he worked at and it's the money. Sure.

FrogBall09

TCU would have the same significance to him as the other schools he worked at and it's the money. Sure.
GP took a job for no other reason than to screw over TCU....sure, of course he did....says a lot more about the people that believe that than GPs decision

I mean, it is not like Baylor would have made more sense if that was his goal....

Wexahu

But for real though, TCU needs to take the statue down, at least till GP retires for good.
It might be one of the single dumbest statues in sports, although obviously I'm not aware of all of them or even most of them.

He was a great coach for a period of time, but people go a little overboard IMO. Putting up a statue in the middle of a guy's career is beyond strange, and it was super weird for the donor to demand it as part of a donation.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
It might be one of the single dumbest statues in sports, although obviously I'm not aware of all of them or even most of them.

He was a great coach for a period of time, but people go a little overboard IMO. Putting up a statue in the middle of a guy's career is beyond strange, and it was super weird for the donor to demand it as part of a donation.
The Donor in question was not expected to live a lot longer, and wanted to see it before he went. Hence, the conditions.

HornyWartyToad

no one who actually knows anything about what really happens thinks he quit working - so that is just stupid. He was putting in as many hours as ever because we were losing and he obviously couldn't figure out why.

And he has always played music and wrote songs - do people not remember when he played on stage for the crowd in the parking several years ago? The stories about how has been playing on stage with Neuheisel at the AFCA event for over a decade are pretty well known. He played at the pickers event with Pat Green a few years ago. Why wasn't everyone so worried about the time he spent on his "hobby" back then? because we were winning.

The combination of his myopic focus on speed over size because of the 61-58 game, a simultaneous and extremely quick change in direction of almost the entire B12 to better defense, size and more balanced attacks on offense, and the restrictions put in program place because of bs lawsuits on injuries and the requirement to step back on "discipline" after the n-work incident combined with his belief his way was the best way and no interest to have fresh outside perspectives to adapt to these other changes are what cost him his job.

Not because he wasn't "working"
Agree it's silly to suppose he quite working. No, it appears what he quit doing was learning and adapting. He also committed the cardinal sin of loving him some Gary way too much. What the olds on here will remember as the perennial coach's admonishment to their players against, "reading your own press clippings."

Great leaders who want to remain great surround themselves not with sycophants and toadies(irony acknowledged), but with smart, aggressive future leaders who will challenge the status quo in an effort to stay on top. Gary didn't do that because he had that buffer of people around him telling him only how awesome was Gary.

One other point that's been bugging me about all the back and forth on this- Those who are in the "Gary the Messiah" camp who seem to think he single-handedly brought TCU football back from the dead: Bullspit. He happened to be the right guy, in the right place, at the right time, as the train was leaving the station.

TCU had already had their, "Come to Jesus" moment with the nucleus of power boosters who were all but set to kill off the program well before Gary ever set foot on campus. Strangely, it was the Stanford AD who had come to Fort Worth and could see all the factors TCU had going for it to allow us to compete at a high D-1 level: Great city, great weather, great campus, loyal fan base who would write the checks, and sitting on top of a recruiting gold mine. He gave a speech to those key boosters that persuaded them that TCU Football could not only survive, but with full commitment, could grow and thrive- and of course he was right.

Fast forward 25 years and look at all TCU has accomplished both in and out of football. And appreciate the role that Gary played in all of it. But please, stop with the "Without Him we wouldn't have the shiny stadium, campus, facilities, money, etc." Seriously? You really think that Gary is the only dude who existed in the coaching world in the late 90s who could have hitched his wagon to TCU and made a success of it? That's just silly. And here's another thing, relatedly- Gary got paid a boatload of cash to do what he loved to do. My recall is something like $100 Million, that we know of, over his tenure here. Point being, he benefitted every bit as much from the relationship as TCU did, and the only reason it didn't continue is Gary thinking he was bigger than the team and that he was too smart to listen to anyone else. That's it. Rant concluded.

Bruce Berry

GP took a job for no other reason than to screw over TCU....sure, of course he did....says a lot more about the people that believe that than GPs decision

I mean, it is not like Baylor would have made more sense if that was his goal....

My sense is that he took the job to stay involved with coaching college football, Texas was interested and his options were limited. My guess is he had none.

I don't believe he took the job to "screw over TCU". You are making an incorrect inference if suggesting that's what I think.

As I said, I'm certain it will feel weird at best-(how could it not) especially when we play them and I think he will regret doing it long term. Maybe he views it as a means to an end and he wants the job at Texas.

Either way, I appreciate what he did for TCU and I'm glad he is gone. Our program is in a much better place now.

froginaustin

I think of the bronze fresco of JoPa leading the Nittany Lions onto the field that Penn State took down after Paterno "retired", after the Sandusky matter became public knowledge. For that situation you take down a statue. For the Patterson situation, I wouldn't be in a hurry to shove him out of sight.

Spike

My sense is that he took the job to stay involved with coaching college football, Texas was interested and his options were limited. My guess is he had none.

I don't believe he took the job to "screw over TCU". You are making an incorrect inference if suggesting that's what I think.

As I said, I'm certain it will feel weird at best-(how could it not) especially when we play them and I think he will regret doing it long term. Maybe he views it as a means to an end and he wants the job at Texas.

Either way, I appreciate what he did for TCU and I'm glad he is gone. Our program is in a much better place now.
People expect him to have the same feelings towards TCU as we do. A better comparison might be to how you feel about your job. What if your last job fired you because you were no longer making your numbers but a competitor offered you a position?

He went to K State and worked several places before landing here. His wife has ties to UT or so I read on here. He was great for a time but eventually stopped getting the same results. I'm grateful for the memories and I want to wish him as much happiness as can have without UT winning on the field. Too hard for me to cheer for them in 90% of their games.

I don't understand why some seem to be upset over this. It's a job for them.

Earl W. Adams

Have you ever thought about del conte and donati getting together and hiring Coach Patterson away from TCU, because Texas lost most of the time when they played TCU! Donati is the one that needs to go! He can't hold a glass of water for Coach P. Coach P was a great coach for TCU and the players love and respected him, plus he wouldn't take any BS off of them, i.e., Alamo Bowl in San Antonio!

ECoastFrog

Leave the statue in place. What's done is done regarding its 'early' unveiling, and I think many folks have a great deal of respect for GP. Time just passed him by. IMO, it would look confrontational if we took the statue down. The past 3 years do not negate the many wonderful football moments that happened in his first 18 years.

Personally, I have so many fond memories of TCU football under GP, I think it's fine that he have a statue.

PS: Someone on Surly asked if UT could have his statue, and some Frog answered that we would mail it to them. LOL.