• The KillerFrogs

Fan Nation: Ex TCU Coach Gary Patterson Has Been Hired By Texas

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
He coached at what 8-9 schools in his career? Working for his old boss? Making 7 digits to watch film and give his opinion?

I bet he gets over it….

Played golf with Gary Darnell one time and asked him what it was like to be the Asst HC/DC at Texas and then later become the DC/interim HC (even if just for the bowl game) at Aggy

He said coaches know what they are getting themselves into when they select the career - fan loyalty is a mirage that arrives with wins and leaves with losses

Only thing real is the players, the love of the game and finding a way to take of your family

Ever wonder why you see baseball players from opposing teams talk to each on the base paths? Or why “opponents” seek out other players after the game?

Played a lot games at TCU against guys I had played with from as early as 6 years old - didn’t start hating a friend because he wore the wrong uniform

but fans think it’s the end of the world
And we don't know this?

Tell me: Many people on here have expressed a great adoration for the job Dick Bumpas did while at TCU. Two years ago, he was given an award and feted at Arkansas during halftime. Was there burning sports hatred on here for that?

I get the whiff of "you morons never played sports and don't know a damned thing about anything" coming out of your comments. I assure you that you could not be more wrong if that is indeed the case.

vicarfrog

I'm confused Mr. FB09.

My ego??? What??? Just a point of view. Maybe you need to understand what a message board is. Debate is good, yea. Making it personal is a no-no!

Did I say something bad about your beloved GP? He doesn't seem to be your buddy give your comments. I can't seem to follow your thoughts on the matter. (It's well documented about Gary's ego and this new job acceptance is to counter to his bad feelings of his untimely exit.)

GP made a really, really bad move here. The fact is that he couldn't have made a worse move and maintained his TCU-wide esteem. If he'd been offered the head coach job at Texas, NOBODY including Frog Nation would have blamed him (we wouldn't have liked it because they are the ENEMY.)

And UT didn't improve their football fortunes either. I'll enjoy the next Texas purge with Del Conte, Sark, et.al.
Respectfully disagree.

He made a move that he viewed as advantageous for himself, and he did it unafraid of what we may think. That has won more respect from me.

And if he whips our rear-ends, good for him and bad on us. I support him 100%.

TCU is a business. Businesses take care of businesses, Gary isn't beholden to them. That's freedom.

asleep003

Not going to panic... Sonny beat TCU the last 2 contests with less Talent than TCU supposedly had. So I'm not going to worry about 2022, even tho it will be a new environs/habitat for many of the football community.

It could be worse—he could be a sideline Longhorn coach and on the field barking out calls from the visitng sideline of Amon Carter this fall. But maybe some would find that more intriguing. I wonder how that hypothetical awkward situation would have played in his decision to join the Longhorns.

Last edited:

tetonfrog

TCU is a business. Businesses take care of businesses, Gary isn't beholden to them. That's freedom.

Totally agree. We fired him. If he wants to beat our ass in Austin next year, so be it.

I think it will be end badly for him though. UT opens with ULM, Bama, UTSA, at Tech, host WV and then go to the Cotton Bowl to face OU. I doubt Sark survives a 2-3 or 1-4 start. If GP is named the interim coach, he will go crazy because there will be so many issues to deal with as he fights the dumpster fire that is UT football. I love GP, but if he can't get through to 4-star recruits at TCU, then how will get through to the entitled 5-star recruits there?

vicarfrog

Totally agree. We fired him. If he wants to beat our ass in Austin next year, so be it.

I think it will be end badly for him though. UT opens with ULM, Bama, UTSA, at Tech, host WV and then go to the Cotton Bowl to face OU. I doubt Sark survives a 2-3 or 1-4 start. If GP is named the interim coach, he will go crazy because there will be so many issues to deal with as he fights the dumpster fire that is UT football. I love GP, but if he can't get through to 4-star recruits at TCU, then how will get through to the entitled 5-star recruits there?

That's a brutal schedule.

It may very well be that he saw what he truly needed to correct, but it was too late at TCU. Texas may be an opportunity to do a rebrand.

Or, if GP becomes interim head coach, or maybe assistant head coach/defensive coordinator, Texas may decide let’s just trust the pairing of Del Conte and Patterson, which was gloriously successful at TCU when they were whipping our Longhorn booty. And maybe, Del Conte has a soothing way with Patterson, an old friend and confidant that keeps him on track and has his back. They shared career highs together and now get a shot at a sequel.

Last edited:

tetonfrog

Or, if GP becomes interim head coach, or maybe assistant head coach/defensive coordinator, Texas may decide let’s just trust the pairing of Del Conte and Patterson, which was gloriously successful at TCU when they were whipping our Longhorn booty. And maybe, Del Conte has a soothing way with Patterson, an old friend and confidant that keeps him on track and has his back. They shared career highs together and now get a shot at a sequel.
That is a big IF...........

I can see Patterson just wanting to focus on x’s and o’s at the Texas flagship blue blood—a challenge for his coaching chops and also time and opportunity to learn and stretch. Might be the best situation for him--revive the Texas Longhorns and its defense, after their long demise, and he will get credit for both. He brings stature to that program and players recognize and may respond to that. If he stays beyond a year, it might be his best opportunity to win a National Championship, and doing so on a team that was in its darkest hole when he came aboard. Name a better spot. And Austin is good digs too.

Last edited:

froginmn

Other than Bama, what's difficult about that start? ULM and UTSA would annoy our fan base as cream puffs, and WVU and Tech were bottom half of the league.

Eight

I can see Patterson just wanting to focus on x’s and o’s at the Texas flagship blue blood—a challenge for his coaching chops and also time and opportunity to learn and stretch. Might be the best situation for him--revive the Texas Longhorns and its defense, after their long demise, and he will get credit for both. He brings stature to that program and players recognize and may respond to that. If he stays beyond a year, it might be his best opportunity to win a National Championship, and doing so on a team that was in its darkest hole when he came aboard. Name a better spot. And Austin is good digs too.

did i miss where texas fired pete as their dc?

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
a260d7dd-34ee-46e7-b801-6e4ac3322e21-Texas_Longhorns_Patterson_1.jpg
Certainly didn’t expect to see him wearing TCU purple, but no K State purple to support his alma mater?