• The KillerFrogs

Fan Nation: Ex TCU Coach Gary Patterson Has Been Hired By Texas

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
and you think GP is the one with the big ego? what a joke after you wrote all that....

Two things I have learned from this entire off-season - 1) our fans have a much higher opinion of our program's position in the CFB landscape and our new staff's ability to sell it than the rest of the college football community has of TCU and 2) those same fans have a much lower opinion of our former HC and his abilities than other schools and their coaching staffs have of GP.
I think you're forgetting that this is a football message board, and that we can clown around and have fun at the expense of damned near anybody.

No one forgets who brung us. The rise of this program was a beautiful and treasured thing. Just look at the number of "Favorite games" threads, and when those games took place. We all know how that happened, and are well aware of who it was at the center of the effort. Sadly, we also know who was the architect of his own demise in these latter years, and who was too stubborn to make adjustments, and who wouldn't fire clearly incompetent staff, and who declared himself "untouchable" during one of the worst seasons in some time. You don't get one without the other.

I also don't believe you realize just how hurt and sad so many on this here FrogBoard are that this all came to pass. One cannot watch the end of Old Yeller without shedding a tear. But, like the kid in the book, he knew it had to be done.

froginmn

I think you're forgetting that this is a football message board, and that we can clown around and have fun at the expense of damned near anybody.

No one forgets who brung us. The rise of this program was a beautiful and treasured thing. Just look at the number of "Favorite games" threads, and when those games took place. We all know how that happened, and are well aware of who it was at the center of the effort. Sadly, we also know who was the architect of his own demise in these latter years, and who was too stubborn to make adjustments, and who wouldn't fire clearly incompetent staff, and who declared himself "untouchable" during one of the worst seasons in some time. You don't get one without the other.

I also don't believe you realize just how hurt and sad so many on this here FrogBoard are that this all came to pass. One cannot watch the end of Old Yeller without shedding a tear. But, like the kid in the book, he knew it had to be done.
I have no anger toward GP for taking another job after we decided to part ways. And I think jobs within the state of Texas were the most likely options. BU would have been much worse; I don't think he'll be able to right the wreck in Austin.

I reserve my hate for CJS, who willingly left to go to CS, and Fran, who willingly left to go to CS by way of Alabama (although I give leeway because we ended up better off, which may also end up being the case with CKS).

Froggy Style

When Gary starts coaching again...let's hope he'll go another 5 years before figuring out that they don't really have his signs because RPO actually means that they have an option to run or pass. Amazing the talent wasted over the past 5 years because our energy went to song writing over designing a new defense.

cctcu

Yes...it's a "get-back" for sure.

But...ancillary to the TCU AD/VicBo/TCU fb program...GP's effective shot is at Frog Nation. His stock continues to go DOWN, IMO, and I for one will not forget this play. (Was GP ever a "nice guy" really?, maybe not. It's a disappointment at the very minimum.)

What does it say about the Texas fb program for them to hire (at very good $) the B12's 2nd worst D coach -2021 (in total D and run D, that is, 3rd worst in pass D too, feeble!) who LOST his gig midseason largely due to gross negative outcomes on that side of the ball?

GP should have been smart, laid low and partied for a season, and I'm sure an opportunity would have come for a HC job where he could "prove them/us" wrong on his way to 200Ws (while offending none of us in Frog Nation.) No, big ego took over and he is now in the enemy camp.

Circle the date in Austin, Coach Sony! (The sooner we forget CGP, the better sports fans.)
Yeah, I think Sonny has to be licking his chops about playing UT next fall, especially with CP involved. Beating us two years has to have him pumped about getting a victory over the 'horns. Sonny can see things and take advantage. Looking forward to next fall and our new look.

vicarfrog

I think in the back of his mind he really wants to get back at TCU. He was embarrassed by our AD and Chancellor and he will not forget it.

Nah! I really don't think it's some type of revenge. He's just a dude who doesn't feel his time is done. Every human needs a sense of purpose; we're wired that way.

My grandpa got forced into retirement, and his health began to decline. I am convinced that it messes with a man. If he feels he's got something left to give, then go for it.

I wish him all the best, except when playing against TCU. In that scenario, I hope he does a great job, but we snatch the victory away from the clutches of defeat.

HFrog1999

Meh Unimpressed GIF

Virginia Frog

and you think GP is the one with the big ego? what a joke after you wrote all that....
I'm confused Mr. FB09.

My ego??? What??? Just a point of view. Maybe you need to understand what a message board is. Debate is good, yea. Making it personal is a no-no!

Did I say something bad about your beloved GP? He doesn't seem to be your buddy give your comments. I can't seem to follow your thoughts on the matter. (It's well documented about Gary's ego and this new job acceptance is to counter to his bad feelings of his untimely exit.)

GP made a really, really bad move here. The fact is that he couldn't have made a worse move and maintained his TCU-wide esteem. If he'd been offered the head coach job at Texas, NOBODY including Frog Nation would have blamed him (we wouldn't have liked it because they are the ENEMY.)

And UT didn't improve their football fortunes either. I'll enjoy the next Texas purge with Del Conte, Sark, et.al.

Last edited:

Bruce Berry

I'm confused Mr. FB09.

My ego??? What??? Just a point of view. Maybe you need to understand what a message board is. Debate is good, yea. Making it personal is a no-no!

Did I say something bad about your beloved GP? He doesn't seem to be your buddy give your comments. I can't seem to follow your thoughts on the matter. (It's well documented about Gary's ego and this new job acceptance is to counter to his bad feelings of his untimely exit.)

GP made a really, really bad move here. The fact is that he couldn't have made a worse move and maintained his TCU-wide esteem. If he'd been offered the head coach job at Texas, NOBODY including Frog Nation would have blamed him (we wouldn't have liked it because they are the ENEMY.)

And UT didn't improve their football fortunes either. I'll enjoy the next Texas purge with Del Conte, Sark, et.al.

He must feel weird at best. He looks silly to me. Ultimately he will see that.

FrogBall09

He must feel weird at best. He looks silly to me. Ultimately he will see that.
He coached at what 8-9 schools in his career? Working for his old boss? Making 7 digits to watch film and give his opinion?

I bet he gets over it….

Played golf with Gary Darnell one time and asked him what it was like to be the Asst HC/DC at Texas and then later become the DC/interim HC (even if just for the bowl game) at Aggy

He said coaches know what they are getting themselves into when they select the career - fan loyalty is a mirage that arrives with wins and leaves with losses

Only thing real is the players, the love of the game and finding a way to take of your family

Ever wonder why you see baseball players from opposing teams talk to each on the base paths? Or why “opponents” seek out other players after the game?

Played a lot games at TCU against guys I had played with from as early as 6 years old - didn’t start hating a friend because he wore the wrong uniform

but fans think it’s the end of the world

He coached at what 8-9 schools in his career? Working for his old boss? Making 7 digits to watch film and give his opinion?

I bet he gets over it….

Played golf with Gary Darnell one time and asked him what it was like to be the Asst HC/DC at Texas and then later become the DC/interim HC (even if just for the bowl game) at Aggy

He said coaches know what they are getting themselves into when they select the career - fan loyalty is a mirage that arrives with wins and leaves with losses

Only thing real is the players, the love of the game and finding a way to take of your family

Ever wonder why you see baseball players from opposing teams talk to each on the base paths? Or why “opponents” seek out other players after the game?

Played a lot games at TCU against guys I had played with from as early as 6 years old - didn’t start hating a friend because he wore the wrong uniform

but fans think it’s the end of the world
Good thoughts. The best part of team sports is the camaraderie among teammates and coaches, working as a team, and the subsequent life long memories. Also for the coaches, their service to developing young men. Fans seem to forget this or never understood this and are irrational fanatics focused mostly on wins and losses because they are not participants in the game, and then speculative gossip when their winning expectations aren’t met. Coaches understand this.

Last edited: