• The KillerFrogs

Fan Nation: Ex TCU Coach Gary Patterson Has Been Hired By Texas

Toad Jones

I think of the bronze fresco of JoPa leading the Nittany Lions onto the field that Penn State took down after Paterno "retired", after the Sandusky matter became public knowledge. For that situation you take down a statue. For the Patterson situation, I wouldn't be in a hurry to shove him out of sight.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Leave the statue in place. What's done is done regarding its 'early' unveiling, and I think many folks have a great deal of respect for GP. Time just passed him by. IMO, it would look confrontational if we took the statue down. The past 3 years do not negate the many wonderful football moments that happened in his first 18 years.

Personally, I have so many fond memories of TCU football under GP, I think it's fine that he have a statue.

PS: Someone on Surly asked if UT could have his statue, and some Frog answered that we would mail it to them. LOL.
Sometime around the Bi-Centennial, an outfit in Boston, calling themselves The Procrastinators Club, mailed the foundry (which was still in business 200 odd years later!) that cast the Liberty Bell demanding a refund, as the bell was clearly defective. The English firm, not to be outdone, said that they would gladly refund the purchase price, provided that the defective item was returned to them in it's original packaging...

Toad Jones

One thing for sure, Kelsey will no longer keep GP informed as to opinions of fans on KFC. Toward the end- before the ut hire, Gary did go on to fan sites and see what was going on.
Gary never stopped working, to think he did, is wrong. He was frustrated to the tens though with his team. So many factors enter into equitation he couldn't put a finger on any one thing as to why.
All in all, it was time for a culture change and new leadership. A change in direction if you will.
I predict GP will never become an icon at UT unless there combined effort makes UT a top-top-top defense, maybe then. ie like Alabama having only 100 yds of total offense.

FBallFan123

He happened to be the right guy, in the right place, at the right time, as the train was leaving the station.
Some people remember when there was another coach and another train … that left for Alabama.

Fast forward 25 years and look at all TCU has accomplished both in and out of football.
Fast forward through a lot of years when Patterson stayed at TCU … long after many other coaches at other schools chased greener, and bigger, pastures.

But please, stop with the "Without Him we wouldn't have the shiny stadium, campus, facilities, money, etc." Seriously?

Okay, then try … “Without him, would TCU be in the Big 12?”

You really think that Gary is the only dude who existed in the coaching world in the late 90s who could have hitched his wagon to TCU and made a success of it? That's just silly.

So he just “hitched his wagon” to TCU?

I do agree this is silly.

Eight

Have you ever thought about del conte and donati getting together and hiring Coach Patterson away from TCU, because Texas lost most of the time when they played TCU! Donati is the one that needs to go! He can't hold a glass of water for Coach P. Coach P was a great coach for TCU and the players love and respected him, plus he wouldn't take any BS off of them, i.e., Alamo Bowl in San Antonio!

was this the alamo bowl when a certain quarterback got arrested?

TAINTed frog

One thing for sure, Kelsey will no longer keep GP informed as to opinions of fans on KFC. Toward the end- before the ut hire, Gary did go on to fan sites and see what was going on.
Gary never stopped working, to think he did, is wrong. He was frustrated to the tens though with his team. So many factors enter into equitation he couldn't put a finger on any one thing as to why.
All in all, it was time for a culture change and new leadership. A change in direction if you will.
I predict GP will never become an icon at UT unless there combined effort makes UT a top-top-top defense, maybe then. ie like Alabama having only 100 yds of total offense.
I mean, okay, he never stopped “working” but just refused to change, so no one question his “work ethic”? I’m so confused.

A lot of people complaining about people complaining about GP amounts to “oh, GP was working 110% and hated losing, but also refused to change and…yeah”.

So, seems like a pretty big indictment…

I’m also puzzled about how his role at UT of all places is going to get GP to change…maybe it will and best of luck to him.

However, I dislike UT very very much, so hopefully he fails. I like TCU more than a coach.

Bruce Berry

People expect him to have the same feelings towards TCU as we do. A better comparison might be to how you feel about your job. What if your last job fired you because you were no longer making your numbers but a competitor offered you a position?

He went to K State and worked several places before landing here. His wife has ties to UT or so I read on here. He was great for a time but eventually stopped getting the same results. I'm grateful for the memories and I want to wish him as much happiness as can have without UT winning on the field. Too hard for me to cheer for them in 90% of their games.

I don't understand why some seem to be upset over this. It's a job for them.

I think his feelings towards TCU were/are probably stronger than mine and many people on here. That's why I think this move doesn't make sense.

Long term-I feel a year away would have made more sense but he can make his own decisions and I will look forward to us lighting up his ass in November.

Mean Purple

It's one thing to move to a rival while still under contract. Patterson was terminated from TCU. If he still wants to coach that is up to him. I still think he would have better options than the job at UT. CDC has hired a few coaches that don't seem to jive with the big money base. It may just be a matter of time before CDC, Sark, and the rest of the football staff are gone.

I would also think if the UT defense doesn't improve it likely sits heavily on Patterson. He is going to be viewed as having the job to fix it, and I am not sure he will have any control. Best of luck to him. He's going to need it!
I think their defense will improve quite a bit.

Mean Purple

I don't believe money had much to do with it. He's already got more than he can spend, and though his agent probably got a really good pile out of UT, GP is in it for two reasons: 1.) He stays in the game. It is his life, and he's not going to just walk away. 2.) Revenge.

I suggest we quit calling him Gary, and instead call him Coriolanus.

From the Shakespeare Wiki:

Hubris, meet Nemesis...
Not sure revenge is what it is about. He wants to coach. Even though there are some in Fort Worth who spread a bunch of bs about him at the end, but I still don't think he goes the revenge route. Folks did not like that he did things his way, oh well. There are some who don't like that some reporters and wannabe big shots who didn't like that practice was closed to them went out and spread a bunch of bs.

Folks thinking he would just retire or go on tv were kidding themselves. My guess is he either ends up DC at Texas or some place like Bama after next year ... or an HC. He was smart to not go look for an HC job this year. The market was crazy. But the dude is young for his age. So he aint sitting still.

FrogBall09

Not sure revenge is what it is about. He wants to coach. Even though there are some in Fort Worth who spread a bunch of bs about him at the end, but I still don't think he goes the revenge route. Folks did not like that he did things his way, oh well. There are some who don't like that some reporters and wannabe big shots who didn't like that practice was closed to them went out and spread a bunch of bs.

Folks thinking he would just retire or go on tv were kidding themselves. My guess is he either ends up DC at Texas or some place like Bama after next year ... or an HC. He was smart to not go look for an HC job this year. The market was crazy. But the dude is young for his age. So he aint sitting still.
Agree - The people that think GP would take a job for “revenge” need to watch less TV

Mean Purple

Have you ever thought about del conte and donati getting together and hiring Coach Patterson away from TCU, because Texas lost most of the time when they played TCU! Donati is the one that needs to go! He can't hold a glass of water for Coach P. Coach P was a great coach for TCU and the players love and respected him, plus he wouldn't take any BS off of them, i.e., Alamo Bowl in San Antonio!
Neither can the new HC. GP had 12 win seasons. other double digit win seasons. Multiple conference championships.

Mean Purple

I'm confused Mr. FB09.

My ego??? What??? Just a point of view. Maybe you need to understand what a message board is. Debate is good, yea. Making it personal is a no-no!

Did I say something bad about your beloved GP? He doesn't seem to be your buddy give your comments. I can't seem to follow your thoughts on the matter. (It's well documented about Gary's ego and this new job acceptance is to counter to his bad feelings of his untimely exit.)

GP made a really, really bad move here. The fact is that he couldn't have made a worse move and maintained his TCU-wide esteem. If he'd been offered the head coach job at Texas, NOBODY including Frog Nation would have blamed him (we wouldn't have liked it because they are the ENEMY.)

And UT didn't improve their football fortunes either. I'll enjoy the next Texas purge with Del Conte, Sark, et.al.
some of y'all continue to kid yourselves.

Mean Purple

Totally agree. We fired him. If he wants to beat our ass in Austin next year, so be it.

I think it will be end badly for him though. UT opens with ULM, Bama, UTSA, at Tech, host WV and then go to the Cotton Bowl to face OU. I doubt Sark survives a 2-3 or 1-4 start. If GP is named the interim coach, he will go crazy because there will be so many issues to deal with as he fights the dumpster fire that is UT football. I love GP, but if he can't get through to 4-star recruits at TCU, then how will get through to the entitled 5-star recruits there?
Patterson is more than trained to handle the issues that come up at Texas. DelConte is the one mainly handling those now anyway, from what folks say. Had Patterson had the experience he has now when Texas sniffed at him years ago, we wouldn't be in the Big 12.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

I don't live in Fort Worth. There are times I wish I did, but I don't. I like the quiet, country life...

Don't think for one second that it doesn't burn deep in him that he was replaced by a guy who pantsed him twice. The revenge may not necessarily be directed at TCU, but it would be damned sure directed at a handful of persons that direct TCU affairs. GP is a competitive guy. He is more intelligent about it than most, but still...

GP is a deeply intelligent and very shrewd fellow. He thought long and deeply about taking this job. While all the other things you say may be true, do not discount revenge.

“If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?"​

Mean Purple

I don't live in Fort Worth. There are times I wish I did, but I don't. I like the quiet, country life...

Don't think for one second that it doesn't burn deep in him that he was replaced by a guy who pantsed him twice. The revenge may not necessarily be directed at TCU, but it would be damned sure directed at a handful of persons that direct TCU affairs. GP is a competitive guy. He is more intelligent about it than most, but still...

GP is a deeply intelligent and very shrewd fellow. He thought long and deeply about taking this job. While all the other things you say may be true, do not discount revenge.

“If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?"​

Good point. Did Kelsey go to UT?

IF GP was here next season, I have no doubt that we would beat Dykes and SMU. Had we not fired him, I have no doubt we would have gone to a bowl game. Firing him was a bad idea. Donati will be gone in few years.