• The KillerFrogs

Fan Nation: Chris Del Conte Reveals Why Longhorns Added Gary Patterson To Staff

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Chris Del Conte Reveals Why Longhorns Added Gary Patterson To Staff​

Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte considers adding Gary Patterson similar to what Alabama's Nick Saban on his staff
Texas enters a pivotal year under Steve Sarkisian. When hired away from Alabama, the goal was to produce a "Crimson Tide type" culture in Austin before the Longhorns moved to the SEC.

A 5-7 season and six-game midseason losing streak wasn't perfect the answer. Maybe the addition of former TCU coach Gary Patterson will be the missing part of the equation.

Patterson comes to Texas after an illustrious career with the Horned Frogs in Fort Worth. The question is why did athletic director Chris Del Conte agree to bring in Patterson to begin with?

Read more at https://www.si.com/college/texas/ne...22#gid=ci029bbe0ab000272a&pid=usatsi_16874964

Frozen Frog

Every article seems to make this feel a lot stranger. It's becoming very clear that we have an AD problem. I think a lot of the coaches don't feel like they have the support of Donati like they did under CDC. It really felt like Patterson was feeling some pressure from all sides that wasn't solely on him. The football program needed refreshed look. That ultimately rests on one person, but I am also not sure Patterson had the full support he needed at the end. The way CJS left is still beyond strange. TCU's baseball program was struggling compared to recent years, but it was still very good. He left for A&M team that can't get out of its own way. If you think TCU has an issue right now you might want to see look at the Aggie program.

As for this move I really think it is Sark and CDC hitting the panic button. My gut tells me this might the last year for one of them, and I am going to guess it is CDC. If CDC goes I think Sark knows he is next on that list. At $150k a year for Patterson there has to be another reason. There might be a chance he gets the UT HC job, but maybe he is looking for a renewed spirit in coaching. I don't know his endgame, but I will say I don't think this ends well for someone, and maybe all three of them.

The Big 12 took a hit recently. I think a lot of people at TCU hit the panic button when they needed some patience.

geefrogs

Unless you think....
Sark is....Saban?

trying not to laugh GIF

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Patterson was on the downhill slide. A blind man could see it. As has been revealed on this here Board, he was given many chances and he blew all of them. At the end, he showed outright contempt to people who had supported him and departed in the most graceless manner possible. Now, he's living out some sort of revenge-fantasy down in Austin, and happily volunteering to be a pawn in all the Machiavellian schemes going on down there. Sark was fired the day he was hired, the only question being how long he would manage to stay on. Patterson is just one more pressure point.

Schloss got painfully divorced, lied to everybody about matters, and mentally skipped town long before his coaching tenure ended.

In neither case has Donati acted stupidly, save that he probably gave more rope than he should have.

Big Frog II

Patterson was on the downhill slide. A blind man could see it. As has been revealed on this here Board, he was given many chances and he blew all of them. At the end, he showed outright contempt to people who had supported him and departed in the most graceless manner possible. Now, he's living out some sort of revenge-fantasy down in Austin, and happily volunteering to be a pawn in all the Machiavellian schemes going on down there. Sark was fired the day he was hired, the only question being how long he would manage to stay on. Patterson is just one more pressure point.

Schloss got painfully divorced, lied to everybody about matters, and mentally skipped town long before his coaching tenure ended.

In neither case has Donati acted stupidly, save that he probably gave more rope than he should have.
Yes, yes, yes.

FrogBall09

Every article seems to make this feel a lot stranger. It's becoming very clear that we have an AD problem. I think a lot of the coaches don't feel like they have the support of Donati like they did under CDC. It really felt like Patterson was feeling some pressure from all sides that wasn't solely on him. The football program needed refreshed look. That ultimately rests on one person, but I am also not sure Patterson had the full support he needed at the end. The way CJS left is still beyond strange. TCU's baseball program was struggling compared to recent years, but it was still very good. He left for A&M team that can't get out of its own way. If you think TCU has an issue right now you might want to see look at the Aggie program.

As for this move I really think it is Sark and CDC hitting the panic button. My gut tells me this might the last year for one of them, and I am going to guess it is CDC. If CDC goes I think Sark knows he is next on that list. At $150k a year for Patterson there has to be another reason. There might be a chance he gets the UT HC job, but maybe he is looking for a renewed spirit in coaching. I don't know his endgame, but I will say I don't think this ends well for someone, and maybe all three of them.

The Big 12 took a hit recently. I think a lot of people at TCU hit the panic button when they needed some patience.
prepare to get roasted...you opened up the ADJD vs GP vs Schloss pandora's box of hades

Without addressing the why either are gone - because frankly no one knows it all for either situation despite what a few think of their opinion and there is always two sides/views of what happen to each argument

The fact that GP took $150k seems to really have baffled a lot of people. Sark made less than $40k in 2016 when he was an Analyst for Bama. Why does it seem strange that GP would take 4x that to do the same job? Seems obvious they all do it to stay engaged in the game and relevant for future opportunities - at that school or any other - because every P5 HC fired in the last 10 years has had such a large buyout that they didn't "need to work".

Dutch

T C U Froooogs

GP helped get the team ready for Baylor, which was not classless. TCU fired him and he had no obligation to take a nothing burger job.

FrogCop19

"Crimson Tide-like atmosphere "?

Crim....Crimson TIDE? They have Alabama running like a well-oiled machine, and Texas is 4-4 in winning seasons over the last 8 years. So in their infinite wisdom, they bring in a coach whose record barely beats that.

Yep, they're BACK, baby!

TCUdirtbag

bad take

IMO

TCUdirtbag

The fact that GP took $150k seems to really have baffled a lot of people. Sark made less than $40k in 2016 when he was an Analyst for Bama. Why does it seem strange that GP would take 4x that to do the same job? Seems obvious they all do it to stay engaged in the game and relevant for future opportunities - at that school or any other - because every P5 HC fired in the last 10 years has had such a large buyout that they didn't "need to work".

Please tell me you aren't saying taking relative pennies to be an analyst for Steve Sarkisian is in any way comparable to taking a few less relative pennies for the repeatedly-proven career rehab that is being an analyst for best-college-football-coach-in-history Nick Saban?

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA

AD is doing fine right now. You're not paying attention.

Pharm Frog

I’d suggest that the vetting process was suboptimal if this was the rationale. Very faulty.

“And he sees the game and he sees the staff and the team through the lens of a head coach.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
GP helped get the team ready for Baylor, which was not classless. TCU fired him and he had no obligation to take a nothing burger job.
So, you're saying that the emotional bomb of Patterson being fired had no bearing* on the team's performance? Only his scheming?

I think he realized, belatedly, what an ass he had been. Doesn't alter things, and, had I been there, I'd have hollered my lungs out for the man.

*Forgive me. I knew not what I done...

Virginia Frog

Believe that him being affiliated with Texas, shows that he has a bitter side and that is certainly his
right to be bitter.
I think GP did a dumbo thing in turning his back on the TCU Nation (by "going" to the hated del contes/Austinites.) I know he was pissed at TCU and his removal seemed premature/unfair to him given all he had done for the program and the school. He's human and 9 out of 10 us us would have been similarly angry, but...

TCU, whether he likes "it" or not, will ALWAYS be his school. It will be his legacy - but IMO he's tainted it severely by bedding down with the Longhorn clan. That's his mistake and it's unfortunate for him.

My hope is that UT continues to be a loser (5-7 or worse, with Ls to the Froggies) and his star doesn't shine there.

However, I honestly want GP to return as a P5 HC - non-B12 maybe West Coast, ACC - so he can forgive himself for his poor behavior/attitude post TCU and leaving his players in the lurch. Then hopefully he can regain a winning form on his way to 200+ wins for his career. He can be done well before age 70 and can then return to TCU to "ascend into heaven."

UT was really a bad idea GP!

Last edited: