• The KillerFrogs

Faith in Donati?

Mean Purple

How much faith does everyone have in conducting a thorough head coach search? Based on how he has done everything else, I have very little faith in his ability. He was a hire that was handpicked by his predecessor that moved to a rival school. With other coaching moves that he has made:

- Dixon, botched letting him go which led to a head coach that didn't want to be here
- The mess with not hiring Sarrloos immediately once Schloss left
- Not fulfilling promises to Schloss for a renovated Lupton Stadium.

Let's not forget that CDC poached many people in the athletic department and rather than finding talented replacements we just did internal promotions across the board. The athletic department is worse off than when the golden boy was promoted to AD and he has to be held accountable for this. GP is the main issue right now but I have zero confidence in our athletic director and quite frankly our Board of Trustees.
This is what you get when you don't do a serious national search for an AD.

It is a total [ Finebaum ] show.

ticketfrog123

This is inaccurate. I work directly with the Texas athletic department almost every day. Every AD has behind the scenes “people” that have financial influence,,,but I assure you CDC is not an empty suit and his fingerprints are all over the Sark hire and SEC.
Agree - he obviously picked Sark and moved incredibly quick on that behind the scenes

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
What you said and what I tried to imply are no where close to related. Donati is not as connected to average fans as the last two guys were. He is a TCU salesman, whether he wants that job or not. For whatever reason, there is a significant drop in interest of TCU football, if I were him I would be out listening to the REMAINING customers. YMMV.
I never implied they were. I merely opined on the situation and and the style Donati has demonstrated in the past as to handling these crises. I have never encountered Donati at a tailgate, only at TCU events in Houston during his tenure as AD. He simply isn't the outgoing, salesman-of-the-week personality that CDC is.

As to pressing the flesh, nobody does that like CDC. Guy could sell ice to Eskimos...

Last edited:

CM Frog

The powers that be at TCU just wanted to be in the Big 12 and seen as big time. The stadium makes us seem big time, but they have done little else to actually do what it takes to WIN the Big 12 in any sport.
Do not agree. We spend a lot of money on the three major sports.

CM Frog

Ain’t that the truth. FWIW…there are only two VB teams in the conference with winning records in conference play. I think 5 teams are 3-5 and then there’s TCU at 2-6. In arguably the worst top-to-bottom conference in the history of the Big12, TCU occupies the cellar (and it’s actually an improvement on the abomination of last season). Ridiculous laissez faire attitude by JD.

So if the question is if I have faith in JD, the answer is fully YES. I have ultimate faith that he won’t do squat.
Do we really think volleyball is high on the list of sports at Tcu? I do not think the AD should be judged based on that. I still say there is not one AD in the country who would have fired Gary as of today. He did what everybody thought was a good move at that time to keep Dixon. My belief is we are better off with Sarloss as our baseball guy. The athletes and students really like JD- just sayin

Pharm Frog

Do we really think volleyball is high on the list of sports at Tcu? I do not think the AD should be judged based on that. I still say there is not one AD in the country who would have fired Gary as of today. He did what everybody thought was a good move at that time to keep Dixon. My belief is we are better off with Sarloss as our baseball guy. The athletes and students really like JD- just sayin

If you aren’t willing to tend to the smaller things why should you be trusted with the larger things? But yes….I think volleyball should be treated with more respect than it is. Headcount sport. No reason not to excel. And I couldn’t care less if the students “like” JD but I do like how you separated students and athletes.

NewFrogFan

I never implied they were. I merely opined on the situation and and the style Donati has demonstrated in the past as to handling these crises. I have never encountered Donati at a tailgate, only at TCU events in Houston during his tenure as AD. He simply isn't the outgoing, salesman-of-the-week personality that CDC is.

As to pressing the flesh, nobody does that like CDC. Guy could sell ice to Eskimos...

Then you never met Danny Morrison, hands down better PR guy.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Then you never met Danny Morrison, hands down better PR guy.
I never did meet Morrison. In fact, he's the only AD in recent memory I haven't had a chance to speak with at least once. Then again, I am in no way a Bigfoot Donor, and I lived in Houston for many years. Though I did come up for games regularly, I didn't really do the Tailgate scene.

However, your point about interaction with the Hard Core Fans is an important one, and ADJD needs to be extremely sensitive to the feelings and opinions of the fanbase. After all, they buy the tickets and make the donations. Just ignoring the desires of people who make your job possible is not a really good way to stay employed, and his manner of clam-like behavior works against him in a critical situation like the one unfolding. Projecting sublime complacence and keeping his mouth shut is beginning to work against him...