• The KillerFrogs

Ewers visiting TCU tomorrow…

McGregor's Goat

I think TCU probably has about as much chance of signing him as they had of signing Jalen Hurts (I got my hopes up on that one, what a fool I was). But sure, I hope he picks TCU. If he's really that great, it would be fantastic. If he isn't, he will be annoying and then transfer two or three more times, no big deal.

If I can try to think of an argument why a fan *would not* want him: if I understand correctly, he asked Ohio State for some assurances of playing time in 2022 (perhaps related to an NIL deal). Given that tOSU has one of the top QBs in the country, they of course said "no". So if you sign this kid, he is well aware that he's considered the prettiest girl at the ball and isn't shy about making demands. And TCU hasn't really hit it out of the park with the other (few) prima donna blue chips they have signed (e.g., so long Zach Evans, you were really good on those rare occasions when you weren't either hurt or too tired to play, sorry we couldn't hire Coach Prime to make you happy).

CountryFrog

No way this guy ends up at TCU. Lol.
I think there are a few million reasons why he'll probably end up in either Austin or College Station. But we've now got a staff that was convincing nationally elite recruits to go play in front of 600 fans at the AAC school over in Highland Park. And we've added a couple more high level recruiters in addition to those guys. So it's probably not as much of a long shot as you or many others may think.

froginmn

Some bad takes in this thread.
Differing opinions for sure. As it should be.

For me, I look at ability but also fit and risk of drama. At this point there's scant evidence that he'll be a problem, but you can't say there aren't a couple warning signs. It's not like he didn't know there would be competition in Columbus, but he's leaving after a year.

A couple years ago we would have laughed at someone saying we shouldn't take Shawn Robinson. There are multiple things to consider, including how QE would react if Morris wins the job.

Pretty much every year we'd trade our class for UT's, yet somehow they continue to have a dumpster fire in Austin. It's not because they misjudge the level of talent.

Moose Stuff

Fill up your roster with as many good players as you can and worry about who’s unhappy and who’s leaving later. I mean I’m over the whole Zach Evans thing but never in a million years would I say we never should have taken him. As for Ewers, he probably isn’t coming here (Tech seems to bizarrely be the likely landing spot) but just getting him to visit is a big positive. If nothing else it gets the program in the news for a week or so and adds some legitimacy to the new staff.

Moose Stuff

Differing opinions for sure. As it should be.

For me, I look at ability but also fit and risk of drama. At this point there's scant evidence that he'll be a problem, but you can't say there aren't a couple warning signs. It's not like he didn't know there would be competition in Columbus, but he's leaving after a year.

A couple years ago we would have laughed at someone saying we shouldn't take Shawn Robinson. There are multiple things to consider, including how QE would react if Morris wins the job.

Pretty much every year we'd trade our class for UT's, yet somehow they continue to have a dumpster fire in Austin. It's not because they misjudge the level of talent
UT loses because their culture is a disaster. Sadly enough, despite all the “frog factor” and “40not4” that we tried to preach I’m pretty convinced that’s the same reason we haven’t been good for a while either.

Moose Stuff

$1 mil in twenty dollar bills.
View attachment 10384
Old school baseball scout once told me that if you really wanted to sign every HS kid that instead of walking into their living room and verbally offering them $500K (or whatever) you should bring it in cash and give it to them right there (way harder to say no to that). Obviously that wasn’t ever gonna happen but I tend to believe he was probably right.

Eight

Old school baseball scout once told me that if you really wanted to sign every HS kid that instead of walking into their living room and verbally offering them $500K (or whatever) you should bring it in cash and give it to them right there (way harder to say no to that). Obviously that wasn’t ever gonna happen but I tend to believe he was probably right.

dodgeballmoney2.jpg

Moose Stuff

One quick note on Ewers…. Though I’m not certain I feel like there’s a pretty good chance he has a prior relationship with Carrington as I believe Carrington would have been at UT when they were recruiting Quinn and he was actually committed to them at one point.

GenXFrog

One quick note on Ewers…. Though I’m not certain I feel like there’s a pretty good chance he has a prior relationship with Carrington as I believe Carrington would have been at UT when they were recruiting Quinn and he was actually committed to them at one point.
Keep hearing rumors that TTu is interested in coach Riley Dodge. Cant' help but think there may be a package deal?

TCURiggs

Keep hearing rumors that TTu is interested in coach Riley Dodge. Cant' help but think there may be a package deal?

There's plenty of TT smoke with Dodge, Kittley, Mahomes, Cody Campbell money, etc... I bet Tech is definitely in the mix at this point.

CardFrog

I would take the kid in a heartbeat and as several have said, we are going to need 3 or maybe 4 in the QB slot to ensure we don't lose 1 and then resort to a single wing offense.

Limey Frog

He might not be thinking this way (probably isn't), but if someone has already given him $1M at the age of 17, he can afford to go and play where he'll get on the field and win ballgames. That could be TCU even if he could in theory make more cash at UT. In the long-run you don't make cash from losing. I'm guess Clemson's QB won't be appearing in anymore national campaigns for Dr. Pepper next fall.

Wexahu

The moral of this story is not that a high school kid is bad for accepting $1-$3M for playing football. The moral is somebody financed this deal and a fool and his money are soon parted.
And that college football is more or less professional football now, except with no real structure in place, and no governing body in charge of the thing.

Total chaos.