• The KillerFrogs

Ewers visiting TCU tomorrow…

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I'm certainly not going to slam a 17 year kid that makes a decision that can set him up financially for the rest of his life.

Others can have at it, but it's the new reality, like it or not.
As you, and The Bad Guy say, taking the money cannot be argued as a bad choice, considering...

Additionally, as The Bad Guy notes, preserving and growing that money is important, and a bit of wisdom often lost on damned near everybody. TCU has, at least, made a step in the right direction with the Neeley School. One hopes that this sole (for now) beacon attracts the right kind of kids, kids who wish to make the most of a bold opportunity and see it last for a long time.

Dogfrog

The NFL isn't even close to the same.

First of all, there is a player draft, players don't get recruited and get to pick where they want to play coming out of college. Then, all drafted players are bound to their teams for at LEAST 4 years if the team chooses to sign them. and then the team controls them for another year if they want to. There is a salary cap.

Those three things make it entirely different from this new college model. Not even remotely the same.
May require a few years playing bumper cars until someone decides to place controls on it. But who? It will not be the hapless college presidents. Won’t be the NCAA. Maybe the conferences form a committee to set limits and draft a new boilerplate player contract? Create a new league wherein teams just pay colleges to rent their stadium and place their name on jerseys? Who knows?

Wexahu

May require a few years playing bumper cars until someone decides to place controls on it. But who? It will not be the hapless college presidents. Won’t be the NCAA. Maybe the conferences form a committee to set limits and draft a new boilerplate player contract? Create a new league wherein teams just pay colleges to rent their stadium and place their name on jerseys? Who knows?
It would require the moneyed programs to agree to things that would make it a little harder for them to dominate college football. I don't have high hopes.

Just eliminating the free transfer rule would go a really, really long way toward some semblance of equity and stabilize the sport a bit, but everyone seems to think it's too big of a hardship on kids to make them sit out a year if they decide the school they went to isn't quite right for them (after being able to make whatever choice they wanted coming out of high school). I doubt that is ever reversed.

Palliative Care

No doubt that the NFL is an evolved version but they are becoming birds of a feather and I have no doubt that college football will fall in line with whatever the NFL wants them to do. They are alike in the fact that money talks and rules change just as they did when free agency happen to the pro sports.

geefrogs

It's the year 2031.

The Southeastern Conference has now swallowed up the entire Eastern Seaboard and officially separated itself from collegiate football.

It now serves as a developmental league for the NFL. They play their games from April to August.

They still wear collegiate uniforms but now its the Alabama Crimson Tide brought to you by Tiktok versus the Penn State Nittany Lions sponsored by IMG.

Whats the thread about again?

FrogCop19

It would require the moneyed programs to agree to things that would make it a little harder for them to dominate college football. I don't have high hopes.

Just eliminating the free transfer rule would go a really, really long way toward some semblance of equity and stabilize the sport a bit, but everyone seems to think it's too big of a hardship on kids to make them sit out a year if they decide the school they went to isn't quite right for them (after being able to make whatever choice they wanted coming out of high school). I doubt that is ever reversed.
Even if that school has just been a vehicle for them to sign multi-million dollar contracts with an affiliated source...

I am actually ok with one or the other, but both the NIL *and* the portal is not only overkill, it's an assassination of the sport. If you have to have NIL, put a cap on it, standardize it so everyone that signs one gets a set amount (10k a month or whatever, I don't care), or don't even let them sign one until after their freshman year, but have it be binding to the school for a time limit. Hell, I'd even give them three years, giving them the opportunity to go to the NFL or even enter the portal after they've held up their end of the bargain.

I know it probably doesn't make any sense or isn't feasible for multiple reasons, but it's better than a free-for-all. In my old-fashioned mind all this is doing is teaching the kids, as if Letters of Intent weren't already toothless enough, that there is no accountability for their choices and they can take their ball (of cash) and go home whenever they don't get what they want.

froginaustin

Do any developmental leagues make money?

Minor league baseball?

Whatever the latest developmental scheme the NBA has?

Minor league hockey?

Maybe that'll make a takeover of college football by the NFL a tough sell. Who knows? Not me.

froginaustin

Even if that school has just been a vehicle for them to sign multi-million dollar contracts with an affiliated source...

I am actually ok with one or the other, but both the NIL *and* the portal is not only overkill, it's an assassination of the sport. If you have to have NIL, put a cap on it, standardize it so everyone that signs one gets a set amount (10k a month or whatever, I don't care), or don't even let them sign one until after their freshman year, but have it be binding to the school for a time limit. Hell, I'd even give them three years, giving them the opportunity to go to the NFL or even enter the portal after they've held up their end of the bargain.

I know it probably doesn't make any sense or isn't feasible for multiple reasons, but it's better than a free-for-all. In my old-fashioned mind all this is doing is teaching the kids, as if Letters of Intent weren't already toothless enough, that there is no accountability for their choices and they can take their ball (of cash) and go home whenever they don't get what they want.

I understand Ewers signed a deal for marketing his autograph, right?

It's the same autograph whether he plays for Ohio State or for Arkansas State, right? Of course not, but in theory it is. Maybe the marketing company has him contractually obliged to play for tOSU. But the point is, the school is supposed to be out of the loop on these NIL deals, right?

And another point is, the NIL deals are supposed to be free enterprise. If so, is there any limit to when and how much a player can sign for?

What happens when gambling interests get (more openly) involved?

Interesting times we live in.

Palliative Care

This will last as it now has become until the larger school and conferences decide that it is too much to pay. Then some action to curtail money being paid out to these individuals will be made. Those rules will go to court no doubt and who knows what is next after that.

Dr. Coach Haus

I think TCU should greet Quinn with the entire band and cheerleading squad when he arrives. Like full on marching band parade. And a list of potential endorsement deals that we are ready to fund.

images

Dogfrog

It's the same autograph whether he plays for Ohio State or for Arkansas State, right? Of course not, but in theory it is. Maybe the marketing company has him contractually obliged to play for tOSU. But the point is, the school is supposed to be out of the loop on these NIL deals, right?

And another point is, the NIL deals are supposed to be free enterprise. If so, is there any limit to when and how much a player can sign for?

All great questions in the New Frontier.

FrogCop19

Yep. All things that THEORETICALLY make sense, I just know I don't like them. LOL

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

I know it probably doesn't make any sense or isn't feasible for multiple reasons, but it's better than a free-for-all. In my old-fashioned mind all this is doing is teaching the kids, as if Letters of Intent weren't already toothless enough, that there is no accountability for their choices and they can take their ball (of cash) and go home whenever they don't get what they wa

None of his NIL money came from tOSU

How is his autograph worth anything right now? Unless you are a Southlake fan. Even then ...

Latest posts