• The KillerFrogs

Ewers visiting TCU tomorrow…

HFrog1999

I’ve got exactly zero problems with a kid leaving school early for a $1M payday. And he didn’t “quit.” He moved up a weight class.

Plus, he’d be crazy to risk getting hurt in high school.

My son tore his ACL the first practice of his Junior year. So far we’re out over $5,000 out of pocket and we’ve got no guarantees that he gets to play again.

Don't underestimate just how much John Sellers and Cody Campbell want TT to be good at football...Don't know that we have anyone at TCU desperate enough to get into an arms race with those dudes and the biggest cigars at UT.

Is one of those guys the dude who drives a Bugatti Veyron to the Tech games?

Imagine parking a $million+ car in the tailgate area with those hooligan fans around.

One Frog Nation

One thing the Ewers saga shows is how totally unprepared for NIL 95% of the colleges were (are). Even Texas with all their money was left at the altar by Ewers only to learn what is required. Texas seems to have learned their lessons well and is now prepared to spend what they think is necessary. Not sure how many other schools go on recruiting visits with NIL money in hand. 5 star players will be worth a million or more by the time the draft comes around for them. I really don't see how this is good for more than a dozen or so colleges. The arms race has just started.

Palliative Care

Correct, we are not going to get back up with just 3 star QB's. We probably need to secure a player or two in the portal this next spring when a 4 star freshman or sophomore sees greener pastures elsewhere than in a situation where he is behind too many other people for playing time..

One Frog Nation

Correct, we are not going to get back up with just 3 star QB's. We probably need to secure a player or two in the portal this next spring when a 4 star freshman or sophomore sees greener pastures elsewhere than in a situation where he is behind too many other people for playing time..
Joe Burrows was a 3 star. This is the 2020 draft first round with the rival rankings, several 2 and 3 star rankings. Would I rather have 4 and 5 star players - sure, but a roster loaded with 3 star players should be just fine.

Joe Burrows was a 3 star. This is the 2020 draft first round with the rival rankings, several 2 and 3 star rankings. Would I rather have 4 and 5 star players - sure, but a roster loaded with 3 star players should be just fine.

I can't help but think that we'll probably never see another example from TCU like Gladney on that list. A 3-star receiver with offers from North Texas, Rice, Tulsa and UTSA, Patterson converted him to corner, and he became a first-round draft pick. His off-field antics post-TCU aside, he was probably the last of a remarkable era.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Fools Gold. Texas is going to do this just like they do everything else: Spend a [ #2020 ]-ton of money(again) on the assumption(again) they can buy their way out of mediocrity. It's doomed to failure because, Texas. They will have the #1 payroll in CFB and will be a perennial .500 SEC team. Going to be delicious to watch, once the reality of it all sinks in and the big cheese donors begin to wonder where all their money went.
I remember the last time UT had the #1 QB recruit in the State. They booed him off the field his second year, and he left to play at SMU.

Palliative Care

The offense needs a leader who makes the right reads, throws the ball on target and if he needs to run gets yardage for a first down. In his game against Baylor Chandler did those things and he made a big difference. I am not sure he is the guy but we need someone like he played in that game to do the same week in and week out. He does not have to be a millionaire either. I’ll take a $500,000 guy.

Paint It Purple

Here's the Universal Rating System for Stars. # of Stars (above 4) x 4 x 100 = Crazy Ratio.

I think there's a similar grid for hot chicks.

A couple notes from my Maize and Blue friend regarding Harbaugh’s turnaround this year:

“As Bo Schembechler famously said, those who stay will be champions. Different times, to be sure. But guys playing primarily for money and draft position will not be the best building blocks for a cohesive team. Michigan had a bunch of those guys the last couple years. They are mostly gone now. It has made all the difference.”

“Woody and Bo wouldn't keep their jobs today. Another element of Michigan's turnaround was the decision to replace a number of old-guard assistants. Harbaugh is the only coach over about 43. Kids today on balance don't seem to respond well to drill sergeants, that's for sure. Being demanding is fine, so long as you demand nicely.”

Last edited:

Toad Jones

One thing the Ewers saga shows is how totally unprepared for NIL 95% of the colleges were (are). Even Texas with all their money was left at the altar by Ewers only to learn what is required. Texas seems to have learned their lessons well and is now prepared to spend what they think is necessary. Not sure how many other schools go on recruiting visits with NIL money in hand. 5 star players will be worth a million or more by the time the draft comes around for them. I really don't see how this is good for more than a dozen or so colleges. The arms race has just started.
You ought to hear what the schools are thinking about the future of college sports and the media are predicting. Reason: College sports (ie: football) is fast becoming so unyielding to manage and maintain cost to sustain, it would have to hire or lease college sports out but maintain name of schools. I know, I know that, is hard to swallow but I can see already where schools are struggling now to over see these sports. If I understand correctly, it would become a separate business from the schools. Look at the contracts coaches are getting left and right today. 100 million dollar contracts and they are predicting that figure will go up from 100 million. Private schools can't support that kind of financial responsibility, so where is the money coming from? Absolutely nuts I tell you. TCU has many individuals who can support 100 million dollar contracts to head coach's but then you gotta add assistant coach's salary. Tony Elliott who TCU showed interest in recently, makes a million and a half a year and he is an offensive coordinator.