• The KillerFrogs

Estridge turns down Aggies

HFrog12

Dave South isn't great at his profession and is giant homer. That being said, growing up in Texas his voice could always be found on the radio on Saturday's. Whenever we would hit the road to go hunting or fishing he was a football game you could find on the radio. A lot of the times we made fun of his homerism and how we didn't know what was happening in the game. But he certainly had a recognizable voice and one that I always associated with college football Saturday's in Texas. His voice dates back to the SWC. While he was a constant source of humor in our car, I will actually in a sense miss his voice.

Frog-in-law1995

No doubt. Might be a nice guy but that whole thing is just terrible.

Reminds me of Don Dawson from Dazed & Confused.

gal-dac-sasha-jensen-1-jpg.jpg

4 Oaks Frog

Estridge and Denton are the best team, period, in the “Anouncing Football on the Radio” business. IMO, the old man from Aggie was a beating! Didn’t mind the homer, he should have been. But, his twang and less than velvet voice were like nails on a chalkboard. “Mr. Nasal” from baylor is another prime example of bad! We are extremely lucky to have our Dynamic Duo!
GO FROGS!
BEAT tosu!
Spit Blood~~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

Frog DJ

Let's get this straight: Estridge is a BROADCASTER; Jeff Smith is an announcer. Frog DJ can back me up but an announcer is someone who is a PA announcer at a game and his dialogue is scripted. A broadcaster is a play-by-play guy or analyst that broadcasts what he sees in front of him LIVE. This constant misuse of the word "announcer" is freakin' annoying. Having said all that, Estridge may be the best in the business and we shouldn't feel "lucky" to have him. He was very, very raw his first year but TCU stuck with him. TCU earned the right to keep him for giving him a chance to grow and without judgement in his first year. Estridge is a loyal man to stay here, but I also hope he is on the upper end of the pay scale because he should. As the keen ears noticed, he grew so much from year 1 to year 2 and keeps getting better. Hopefully, he is here for life. That Aggy went after him is a HUGE compliment.
"Liked" and agreed, 2314. Your analysis of what the difference should be between an announcer and broadcaster is spot on.

The operative phrase in the last sentence is "should be." As stated by others in this thread, Dave South was an unapologetic "homer."

So is Brian Estridge, but it's also a matter of degree, and in that regard - Brian more effectively views things through the prism of objectivity.

That's not to say he doesn't describe games and even specific plays from a TCU perspective, but he's nowhere near as "over-the-top" as South.

Another element to his decision might well be the broadcasting market in which each respective school is located, and the cache that carries.

However, I'm speculating. I don't know the man. I've never met him, and I have no idea what his priorities are, or why he's decided to stay.

I'm just glad he did.

Go Frogs!

Frog DJ

Anyone remember....Kern Tips....'Voice of the Southwest Conference'
Sure! He was an icon in the industry, and SWC schools felt honored when he was the play-by-play man on their games.

Tips was an Aggie, and he also attend Rice, but he never allowed either of those affiliations to filter through on his play-by-play coverage.

His dedicated objectivity and uncanny ability to "paint the scene" in the minds of his listeners through his use of words makes him one of the best of all time.

Just my opinion...

Go Frogs!

Frog DJ

Regarding the delay, there is a technical element involved, and I'm certainly not an engineer, but I've dealt with it for years, so "I know just enough to be dangerous."

Lots of broadcasts employ delays for the purpose of "dumping out" offensive language, but that usually applies to talk shows, where outside callers' comments cannot be controlled.

Since a live play-by-play broadcast of a sporting event is fairly self-contained to the two people in the press box (and a sideline reporter), a delay for expletives is probably unnecessary.

The only exception might be the occasional cuss word uttered by someone on the sideline who just happened to be standing near the crowd mic (the guy holding the dish-like microphone).

However, the over arching reality is that the FCC stopped enforcing those rules about offensive language a few years ago, and the only time they do is when a listener complains about it.

The WBAP delay is more likely (from my experience) attributable to the audio processing needed to create digital audio, but I'll admit I don't know how WBAP's air signal is created.

Just for insight...

Go Frogs!

Froginbedford

Regarding the delay, there is a technical element involved, and I'm certainly not an engineer, but I've dealt with it for years, so "I know just enough to be dangerous."

Lots of broadcasts employ delays for the purpose of "dumping out" offensive language, but that usually applies to talk shows, where outside callers' comments cannot be controlled.

Since a live play-by-play broadcast of a sporting event is fairly self-contained to the two people in the press box (and a sideline reporter), a delay for expletives is probably unnecessary.

The only exception might be the occasional cuss word uttered by someone on the sideline who just happened to be standing near the crowd mic (the guy holding the dish-like microphone).

However, the over arching reality is that the FCC stopped enforcing those rules about offensive language a few years ago, and the only time they do is when a listener complains about it.

The WBAP delay is more likely (from my experience) attributable to the audio processing needed to create digital audio, but I'll admit I don't know how WBAP's air signal is created.

Just for insight...

Go Frogs!

Sometime in the late 1960s/early 1970s, a Thanksgiving day pro game had the voice of a player (?) say to someone after a sideline hit, "****sucker"....The announcers were stunned into silence, all the men in the house laughed too loud, all the women in the house (of course, in the kitchen) came into the room asking what was funny....At least today the feed usually stops the sideline pickup when the crowd starts chanting bull ****.....

Mean Purple

I liked Dave South quite a bit when I was an Aggie, and even since then would still listen to him on Saturdays when the Frogs or a good Big 12 game wasn’t on, but I do like Estridge an awful lot too...probably a little more. And Denton is miles ahead of Dave Elmendorf, imo. Really glad Estridge is sticking around
I remember Denton's comment about the brief disturbance in the stands at a Wyoming game. The one that involved a smokeless tobacco reference.

Spike

Let's get this straight: Estridge is a BROADCASTER; Jeff Smith is an announcer. Frog DJ can back me up but an announcer is someone who is a PA announcer at a game and his dialogue is scripted. A broadcaster is a play-by-play guy or analyst that broadcasts what he sees in front of him LIVE. This constant misuse of the word "announcer" is freakin' annoying. Having said all that, Estridge may be the best in the business and we shouldn't feel "lucky" to have him. He was very, very raw his first year but TCU stuck with him. TCU earned the right to keep him for giving him a chance to grow and without judgement in his first year. Estridge is a loyal man to stay here, but I also hope he is on the upper end of the pay scale because he should. As the keen ears noticed, he grew so much from year 1 to year 2 and keeps getting better. Hopefully, he is here for life. That Aggy went after him is a HUGE compliment.

Jeff Smith is THEEEEEE announcer.

How do you feel about scoreboard operators who are asleep at the switch?