• The KillerFrogs

Estimate the Amount of Cash Your Wife/GF/Sig Other has in Her Purse Right Now

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Since I am "self-sufficient" I have to be ready for all contingencies. So I usually carry $100-300. I use cash when I shop at local businesses, since credit cards cost them money. I prefer to tip with cash.
Additionally, I try to fly below the electronic radar as much as possible. Nobody's business where I go, what I buy. Paranoid? No. Careful? Yes.
Maybe a little paranoid. Must be an intel officer thing. :cool:

hometown frog

Add the school age children to the wallet thrives list. Schools always seem to need $10 for this and that. So I’ll either have around $200 or $4 in ones in my wallet at any given time, and totally dependent on the wife’s or children’s pocket picking that week.

Now having said that, I can’t tell you the last time I actually used cash in an actual purchase transaction….

Ron Swanson

Ain't that the truth. I'm only at 46 years of manacled matrimony, but the plethora of items carried in my wife's purse absolutely boggles the mind. I feel quite certain if we were stuck on the side of the road with a faulty flux capacitor, and I needed a 9.35 mm socket wrench to adjust it, she would casually ask (as she retrieved the needed tool from the depths of her purse) if I also needed an extension...

This is for all you long-married types out there:

User name checks out

Moose Stuff

Yes, I know we have recruiting and a big game coming up but it is a relatively slack period….

My wife just called and asked me to run some cash down to the gym as a Christmas gift for our trainer. Of course she has ten bucks with her which is actually more than I would have guessed.

I’m sure it’s a guy thing and maybe even age related but most women I know have very little cash. Many have maybe some change. As an aside, what kind of walking around money do you keep on hand?

I usually try to have $100-$200

Edit: The more I think about it and read responses, I think my desire to have cash in my pocket may in part stem from times when I was first starting out when I often had very, very little money at all.
I carry zero dollars at almost all times.

tcudoc

I can’t believe everyone fell for this. The OP is going to announce next that he’s having a pregame tailgate and will suggest that everyone wear a name tag with their kfc name. Then he is going to rob you cash carriers blind. I’m no dummy. You’ll never know about the $500 I keep in the secret compartment of my wallet or the $400 my wife keeps in hers. Oldest trick in the book. Nice try.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
I can’t believe everyone fell for this. The OP is going to announce next that he’s having a pregame tailgate and will suggest that everyone wear a name tag with their kfc name. Then he is going to rob you cash carriers blind. I’m no dummy. You’ll never know about the $500 I keep in the secret compartment of my wallet or the $400 my wife keeps in hers. Oldest trick in the book. Nice try.
you cant do that on television nicksplat GIF

Since I am "self-sufficient" I have to be ready for all contingencies. So I usually carry $100-300. I use cash when I shop at local businesses, since credit cards cost them money. I prefer to tip with cash.
Additionally, I try to fly below the electronic radar as much as possible. Nobody's business where I go, what I buy. Paranoid? No. Careful? Yes.
Maybe a little paranoid. Must be an intel officer thing. :cool:
I am confident that the credit card transcation fee is already added to the price of the goods, unfortunately. We never should have stopped paying with cash at retail stores and restaurants. The average credit card transaction fee is 2.5%, so that daily $20 spent at lunch and coffee shops costs you an extra 50 cents for the convenience of using a card. Seems financially foolish. But now the fees that cost us extra are built into our retail society. Those who pay with cash are paying extra for all the other people using a credit card which is nearly everybody.

It is an expensive convenience, and is it really that much more convenient—I dislike scrolling through a long credit card statement trying to figure out what all those purchases were to make sure they were mine. I start with $400 in my wallet and work my way down till I reload. I grab a small handful of assorted coins before heading out so the coins are redistributed rather than piling up at home.

Yes, should tip with cash.

Last edited:

Putt4Purple

I have purposely stayed away from this post because once you go down this rabbit hole about a spouse's finances, you are doomed as a husband. You can't win for losing. Either the spouse is an angel and you doubted her, or she really is the money devil and now you know. Bad stuff all around.