• The KillerFrogs

ESPN: Ranking College Football's Top 10 Safeties

jake102

1. Trevon Moehrig, TCU
Moehrig's 2019 season was one of the best we have ever seen at the position. Not only was he the most valuable safety of the season, but he also had the third-most valuable season we have seen in the PFF College era. Regardless of where he was on the field, Moehrig was an absolute playmaker. While in coverage, he forced an incompletion on a whopping 32% of his 47 targets. Of those targets, 17 were contested, and he allowed only two to be caught. Those are amazing numbers for a safety, and the fact that Moehrig did this in his first full season starting as a true sophomore is unreal. He's the best safety in college football.

i

2. Ar'Darius Washington, TCU
Yes, that's right: The TCU Horned Frogs have the two best safeties in the country. While Moehrig was the highest-graded safety of the 2019 season, the player right behind him was his teammate, redshirt freshman Washington, at 91.7. First and foremost, Washington's tackling was outstanding. The 5-foot-8 safety missed only three of his 48 attempts all season, but what he did in coverage was phenomenal. He combined for more interceptions and pass breakups (seven) than catches allowed (five). Washington earned a starting job by season's end -- and rightfully so.

Of interest, Oky State has the #3 and #8 ranked safeties. So 4 of the 10 are in the Big 12... but only on two teams.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...llege-football-top-10-returning-safeties-2020

Eight

1. Trevon Moehrig, TCU
Moehrig's 2019 season was one of the best we have ever seen at the position. Not only was he the most valuable safety of the season, but he also had the third-most valuable season we have seen in the PFF College era. Regardless of where he was on the field, Moehrig was an absolute playmaker. While in coverage, he forced an incompletion on a whopping 32% of his 47 targets. Of those targets, 17 were contested, and he allowed only two to be caught. Those are amazing numbers for a safety, and the fact that Moehrig did this in his first full season starting as a true sophomore is unreal. He's the best safety in college football.

i

Yes, that's right: The TCU Horned Frogs have the two best safeties in the country. While Moehrig was the highest-graded safety of the 2019 season, the player right behind him was his teammate, redshirt freshman Washington, at 91.7. First and foremost, Washington's tackling was outstanding. The 5-foot-8 safety missed only three of his 48 attempts all season, but what he did in coverage was phenomenal. He combined for more interceptions and pass breakups (seven) than catches allowed (five). Washington earned a starting job by season's end -- and rightfully so.

Of interest, Oky State has the #3 and #8 ranked safeties. So 4 of the 10 are in the Big 12... but only on two teams.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...llege-football-top-10-returning-safeties-2020

impossible, the best players are to be found in the sec and big 10

Zubaz

Surely PFF is better at analysis than I am, but Moehrig struck me as very feast or famine last season. He'd have an entire game where he was getting beat, and then make 2 absolutely BRILLIANT plays late in the game.

jake102

Surely PFF is better at analysis than I am, but Moehrig struck me as very feast or famine last season. He'd have an entire game where he was getting beat, and then make 2 absolutely BRILLIANT plays late in the game.

Safety is unfortunately a position that's really hard to evaluate watching the TV coverage of a game. You either need to be in person, focusing on the safeties or have the "All 22" film.

4th. down

It's remarkable to me that Patterson is willing to drag around the Cumbie offense dead weight year after year.

Hard to argue your point, and believe this is the year for Mr. Cumbie on a do or die performance. IMO, it would not be a surprise if Meach was our OC next year if Sonny doesn't produce. Were Dick Winder and or, Fuente better?

Wexahu

Don't know for sure but I think PFF actually has a staff of former coaches who analyze every single play. Far from perfect analysis, but their study is probably more thorough than anything. Pretty amazing that we had the Top 2. IMO, we were above-average DE play from having a GREAT defense last year. As it turned out, we were playing 9.5/10 vs 11 and that is really hard to overcome when a team can gameplan around that gigantic hole in your defense.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
1. Trevon Moehrig, TCU

i

Excuse me sir, I was told the Big 12 doesn’t play defense.

jake102

Don't know for sure but I think PFF actually has a staff of former coaches who analyze every single play. Far from perfect analysis, but their study is probably more thorough than anything. Pretty amazing that we had the Top 2. IMO, we were above-average DE play from having a GREAT defense last year. As it turned out, we were playing 9.5/10 vs 11 and that is really hard to overcome when a team can gameplan around that gigantic hole in your defense.

Yep one giant hole at DE. They played better towards end of year when Ellison started playing more and Blackshear stopped (and Mathis played better).

Froggish

Pretty awesome. If we get good play out of the corners this year (Daniels, Stewart, Tomlinson)...that back end should be solid again.